My Tractor Forum banner

3061 - 3080 of 4396 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,833 Posts
Scout and I took our morning hike through the woods, and found some interesting storm results. This triple trunk poplar had two opposing trunks split and fall apart, but both caught on other trees and are well and truly hung for now:

And, I couldn't get an adequate picture of this but four very mature (probably more than 75 years old) Red Oaks dominoed down one right after another. Tree one is still hung up on the root ball of tree two, and that makes a 10' high bridge for our usual hiking path under. It appears very sturdily hung for now:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,833 Posts
Progress report on my project

Love the PS 421 when hopping around among the limbs. But I've reached the end of the bar. No matter, I have a day of dragging and splitting to do here now. Also no worry that the health club has their sauna shut down for Corona. Got my own here!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Progress report on my project

View attachment 2468521

Love the PS 421 when hopping around among the limbs. But I've reached the end of the bar. No matter, I have a day of dragging and splitting to do here now. Also no worry that the health club has their sauna shut down for Corona. Got my own here!
Very nice! Let's see some pictures of that Dolmar! For the chainsaw geeks here... :)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,833 Posts
This one shows up in the Chainsaw threads here on MTF, but these are not camera shy, and anxious for folks to ohh and ahh at them on the job:

And back stage in the garage:

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Nice job, Jere. Those hung trees look like no fun at all.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,774 Posts
I have the Makita blue version of that 421 with a 16" Oregon bar and chain, it really is a very good little saw. Pretty sure I could stretch it to 18", plenty of power and nice and light.

Good luck with all the cleanup guys, stay safe.

🍻

·
Super Moderator
30,949 Posts
Neighbor, another guy and I put gravel bed in and laid about 250 ft of hard drain pipe today he is going to finish covering the pipe on his land tonight, I will do mine tomorrow. We added two T's in so that I can expand my drainage field in the future. Not sure just when I'll be doing that but the T's are marked

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Wrapped this up this morning, forgot to take a pic earlier. Wiring is done for this trailer, ready to be sold!

First pic is the clearance reflectors, second pic shows the new tongue lights (just in front of the spare), and the newly loomed/wrapped, new pigtail connector.

The clearance lights are on there with Gorilla double-sided tape. I was in a rush, and didn't line them up very well (with one another), but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Mike

20200805_155815.jpg
20200805_155745.jpg

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,070 (Edited)
Covid unit day 2. Had a motivated guy on 30 liters of O2. (That's a LOT and only available by a specialized nasal cannula unit called heated high flow)
On this O2 system you are tied to the wall O2 and have 5ft of tubing. I pushed the bed back against the wall and cleared the room of obstacles. Walked him 45ft 3X weaving back and forth managing the O2 tubing and 30ft of telemetry wiring.

He was excited and happy to have walked 135ft in the room when everyone else had only done simple exercises, said his legs hadn't been that strong even in his rehab facility.

With all the gear I was in when I walked out of the room my scrubs were drenched in sweat and it had run down into the 2 layers of gloves I was wearing. When I peeled the first glove layer off the second layer was saturated on the outside.

I walked out of the unit at 3:30. Still have N-95 mask indentations in my face at 6:30 after a shower.

20200805_173320-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have the Makita blue version of that 421 with a 16" Oregon bar and chain, it really is a very good little saw. Pretty sure I could stretch it to 18", plenty of power and nice and light.

Good luck with all the cleanup guys, stay safe.

🍻
The Dol-kitas are really, really good saws. Not a lot of dealer support locally for them, but they are awesome saws. I think I already posted this picture but here is my buddy's "smurf" saw. It's a 6421 with a ported 7910 (79cc) top end.

76c666c0eaafe9d6bf79ed7287ae7679.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
8 hours in a junk yard? Wow, don't think I've ever spent more than an hour in one (per visit). Most of the ones around here don't even let you past the counter anymore, either.

Day 1 (officially) of the new heat wave here today. It was right around 90 degrees, will be going to 99 tomorrow!!! 100+ heat index with the humidity...

Today, I continued with pruning and cleanup (yes, in the heat). Didn't get a ton of pics, but worked from 10 to 4. Decent breeze made it tolerable.

First job was to get all of my trimmings from yesterday to a burn prep pile (I already had a large pile in the fire area). This is a mix of oak, pine, maple and something else (lots of saplings like the one with the big leaves, left side of last pic below).

Then I worked on some oaks near the fruit trees. The apple was getting buried by one of the oaks. That was also in a bad spot for the RV (risk of damaging the roof while maneuvering in the yard).

Used the Fiskars pruner. Was having trouble with the lopper sticking, so I gave it some WD-40, and cleaned it with a brass brush. Worked much better after that.

Had two near misses. The first was finding a wasp nest. Three fortunate things happened: (1) It was in the branch above the one I was cutting, (2) I saw the wasps and realized that there were a lot of them awfully interested in that area of the tree, (3) They didn't try to find the source of the problem (me).

The nest was just low enough that I could hit it with a jet spray (can) of wasp killer. Soaked it down, probably used close to 3/4 of a can. It was the size of a baseball. Anyone recognize the wasps in Pics 3 and 4 below?

The other near miss was actually a hit. I was cutting a larger branch with the pruning saw, and when it came down, it bounced off the springy tips and the big end hit me. I don't think it hit my head (I was wearing a Husqvarna helmet), but I have minor scrapes on my arm and back (my wife saw them, they don't hurt enough for me to know they're there).

Next, got the old pile burning, then burned yesterday's pile, then burned today's prunings. I did save the hardwood stuff that was 1-inch or larger for future use in the woodstove (fire starters).

The boys (9 and 13) helped tremendously, loading and uploading the 10 cuft cart at least 4 or 5 times, adding it to the fire, and keeping me company. They were indoors when I was pruning, so they didn't witness my two issues noted above (wasps and self-impact)...

Drank a lot (water and Gatorade), but not enough. Felt great all day until the very end. Actually got nauseous and extremely tired. First time I really felt hot all day (was working in the shade with a nice breeze).

Got into the house with AC, drank some water and munched on a plain bagel (to settle the stomach). I'd say I was pushing myself too hard.

My wife randomly came out to talk to me as I was cleaning up at the end. I asked her if I looked and sounded OK, she said I looked beat, but didn't look like I was obviously in trouble. Afterwards, I couldn't remember what we talked about or whether I'd put everything away. That's a little scary...

I just realized that I didn't take before and after pics...

Mike

View attachment 2467342 View attachment 2467343 View attachment 2467344
View attachment 2467349 View attachment 2467350
Take it easy any time you get a chance , that's what sonny would tell me , been hanging on gardens 2020 thread , other than that been cutting alot of stainless slow speed , lots of water , heavy pressure , in frequency drives that slow ac motors . And comeing home picken the garden .

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Steve, I love your stories, and more importantly, your willingness and ability to make your patients' lives better. The world needs more people like you, that's for sure.

Mike

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,471 Posts
Steve, you do a lot of good for people. I hope it all comes back to you in spades. (y)

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Registered
217 Posts
Covid unit day 2. Had a motivated guy on 30 liters of O2. (That's a LOT and only available by a specialized nasal cannula unit called heated high flow)
On this O2 system you are tied to the wall O2 and have 5ft of tubing. I pushed the bed back against the wall and cleared the room of obstacles. Walked him 45ft 3X weaving back and forth managing the O2 tubing and 30ft of telemetry wiring.

He was excited and happy to have walked 135ft in the room when everyone else had only done simple exercises, said his legs hadn't been that strong even in his rehab facility.

With all the gear I was in when I walked out of the room my scrubs were drenched in sweat and it had run down into the 2 layers of gloves I was wearing. When I peeled the first glove layer off the second layer was saturated on the outside.

I walked out of the unit at 3:30. Still have N-95 mask indentations in my face at 6:30 after a shower.

View attachment 2468535
Your the best , I'm sure he appreciated it the smallest things mean so much when your down , I hope I can give back and receive gratefully . Some times its tough being on the opposite side of the soup spoon .

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,076
Steve, I love your stories, and more importantly, your willingness and ability to make your patients' lives better. The world needs more people like you, that's for sure.

Mike
Steve, you do a lot of good for people. I hope it all comes back to you in spades. (y)
Your the best , I'm sure he appreciated it the smallest things mean so much when your down , I hope I can give back and receive gratefully . Some times its tough being on the opposite side of the soup spoon .
Thank you gentlemen. I've been a patient before after injuries and surgery so can appreciate how my patients feel.

I'm telling you--mechanics have a great place in healthcare. Not many healthcare workers are used to looking at a problem and saying "I'm gonna fix this!"

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Man, I'm looking at pics of this trailer that I just rewired. After washing the boat, and a little of the trailer (I wasn't really intentionally trying to clean that), this thing is in much better shape than I'd thought.

Looking at pics of the new (older) trailer I'm picking up to replace this, I'm not feeling as great about that one. It's painted steel, hasn't moved in 8 years, has dry rotted tires and missing grease seals. The lights are supposed to work, but it only has incandescent tail lights (no wide load or clearance lights). Plus, it's 4 hours away.

I plan to bring tires with me and replace them before driving with it. Thinking about repacking the bearings as well.

I'd keep this galvanized trailer, but it's very poorly designed (and can't be adjusted) for the new (longer) boat. It really isn't well balanced with the current (shorter) boat on it.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
30,949 Posts
Man, I'm looking at pics of this trailer that I just rewired. After washing the boat, and a little of the trailer (I wasn't really intentionally trying to clean that), this thing is in much better shape than I'd thought.

Looking at pics of the new (older) trailer I'm picking up to replace this, I'm not feeling as great about that one. It's painted steel, hasn't moved in 8 years, has dry rotted tires and missing grease seals. The lights are supposed to work, but it only has incandescent tail lights (no wide load or clearance lights). Plus, it's 4 hours away.

I plan to bring tires with me and replace them before driving with it. Thinking about repacking the bearings as well.

I'd keep this galvanized trailer, but it's very poorly designed (and can't be adjusted) for the new (longer) boat. It really isn't well balanced with the current (shorter) boat on it.

Mike
Well I get to watch another trailer thread....this is becoming contagious! Hope it isn't as bad as you think it's going to be though.

·
Super Moderator
30,949 Posts
Well here was the project for the last two days, neighbor decided to extend his drainage and connect into my lines. However when we got to my corrugated lines they were full of roots, I was going to put more corrugated in but the neighbor wanted hard lines, so he bought the line for the whole project!! Length on this is somewhere around 250 ft and we bedded it laid the pipe and covered. I've left some gravel out that has a lot of dirt on it to hopefully get washed in next hard rain. His line was all new so nice and straight with new gravel, I'm reusing my gravel:

From my "pond" to about middle of my back yard:

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Well I get to watch another trailer thread....this is becoming contagious! Hope it isn't as bad as you think it's going to be though.
Texted the owner of the new (old) trailer, asked him to give me a hub measurement. Says he's going to get the bearings serviced for me tomorrow.

Fingers crossed, all I'll need is tires!

I don't "plan" to keep this trailer for long, but if it's solid enough, I may not replace it until next year. I eventually want to replace it with an aluminum trailer.

Mike

3061 - 3080 of 4396 Posts