My Tractor Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 3076 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Yikes. Well, at least you figured it out, and I guess the pre-filter makes sense, although I don't know of other machines with that setup.

Still don't understand why they chose to design it with two different tubing diameters.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Forgot to take a pic, but after work, I went to our son's baseball game.

First inning, he smashed a stand-up RBI triple. Later in the game, he got an RBI single. He also scored both times.

He also pitched one shutout inning, making a heads-up defensive play in the process (was a 1-2-3 inning).

His team won, 7-4, and is still undefeated.

Mike

Reactions: Steve Urquell
2,749 Posts
It got up to 96 today and humid, I decided to cut the grass. Its been two weeks. Just when I got done we had a little shower. Came inside took a shower before dinner and turned on the news. Look what's coming up the coast this next week on Monday and Tuesday.

023735_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind (1)abc.png

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Yeah, Don, they started talking about that up here last night too. Looking to be here next Tuesday.

Mike

Reactions: moonhare

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
Well got a bit of work done on the trailer today, done for the day now though.

Cleaning up the wiring across the back, cut a slot in a plastic pipe, painted it, put wire in it and then hung with plastic ties so no rust should form from it:

Deck boards cut and laid on trailer but not anchored yet. Almost ready to toss a few 322's on it!! :)

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
What do you mean by cutting a slot in the plastic pipe?

Also, I would absolutely not rely on plastic ties to hold that pipe in place. Those things break with age. I'd use pipe hangers and bolts with lock nuts (not screws that will eventually make their way into a tire) to hold them in place.

Looks awesome with the deck boards, BTW!

Mike

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
A slot end to end as the wire was already soldered in place, then I just opened it with a screwdriver and slid the wire in before I mounted the pipe.

I suspect the ties will last long enough for me, I'm trying to prevent all the places where rust was when I started.

Yep, I will also be using some colored Thompsons water sealer so they will be toned down a bit. Have to add some reflectors and reflective tape and anchor the boards and should be 100% by then.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Gotcha on the slot.

Keep an eye on the zip ties, I've had them break in under a year.

Mike

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
PA318Guy, I get why you're trying to avoid rust sources. But I'm with Mike, zip ties can become brittle and break. Nylon absorbs water, so when it's wet, it's softer and more flexible. But if it dries out, it can become brittle, and they could snap.

Something like galvanized fittings for attaching conduit, that look sort of like (Edit- it got changed from what I intended) _ ( ) _ , could maybe be used? That would require drilling holes, unfortunately.

It looks as though the zip ties are slipped through 1 hole for each tie? What about using stiff solid-core copper wire, instead? Loop it around the PVC pipe, and on the other side of the trailer frame, twist the wire together tightly. The copper is unlikely to randomly break at a bad time, unlike zip ties. If the zip tie is good for keeping tension on the PVC, you could just add a piece of wire, as a backup.

The trailer is looking awesome! You've done a fantastic job with it.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,975
Sitting on the porch enjoying the sunset with the wife and micro-dog. Beautiful 70degree evening in NW AR.

20200731_200306.jpg

20200731_200043~2.jpg

20200731_200629.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,707 Posts
It got up to 96 today and humid, I decided to cut the grass. Its been two weeks. Just when I got done we had a little shower. Came inside took a shower before dinner and turned on the news. Look what's coming up the coast this next week on Monday and Tuesday.

View attachment 2467928
I pulled the generator out and fired it up today with the possibility of this in mind. I wouldn't want any last minute surprises, like the generator won't start.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Trailer is looking great 👍 And I wouldn't be too worried about the zip ties. I have held on far more critical components with zip ties and they never broke... at least not while I owned those rust heaps :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Dug another little project out of the closet. This is my Stevens-Savage 325-B 30-30. My grandfather bought it new, it dates to around 1947-1948. It sat in a closet for about 35 years untouched until last year. I pulled it out, checked it over, cleaned it just enough and shot through a box of ammo at the range with it. It's a pretty accurate gun for what it is, and kind of an oddball being a bolt action 30-30.
20200705_220459.jpg

20200705_220537.jpg

Anyways it's not a particularly rare or valuable gun, so I don't feel bad about prettying it up which is exactly what I'm planning to do with it. The stock is birch and has already been refinished once and it's not in the greatest shape. New walnut stocks are available for these. A Red Ryder BB gun comes with better sights than what this gun has on it (it was a budget rifle when it was new) but a Lyman 40 peep sight was available on later models, so I'm keeping an eye out for one. There is a pretty good gunsmith down the road, I'll have him drill and tap the holes for it. The bluing is almost completely worn away and I'm not sure if I want to have it re-blued or not. If I do, I'll have a gunsmith hot blue it. I've never had a lot of luck with cold bluing. I have the original leather sling for it, but being 70 years and and having sat in a case untouched for around half of that hasnt helped it, it's very brittle and falling apart. I'd like to find or make a new one for it and maybe a matching cheek rest.

30-30 is a game cartridge and I'm not into hunting, and my dad hasn't hunted since before he was married, which is why this rifle has been so scarcely used. I had it out last year and know it'll fire, but I want to really clean it up and get it tip top, just to do something different. I kind of appreciate it's simplicity. Another perk to 30-30 is that ammo is always available, even right now when there is an ammunition shortage. Its a little expensive, usually around $0.90 a round, but its always on the shelf.

But first, I need to find the bolt for it. This rifle is stored in a hard case, not my safe and when I put it away last year, I didn't have a lock handy to put on it, so I pulled the bolt out and stored it separately. Now I can't remember where I put it. Doh! I know it's around here somewhere. I'll get some better pictures tomorrow and hopefully find the bolt.

2,749 Posts
Speaking of zip ties, a friend of mine said the front stabilizer bar was loose on his car and he used cable ties to hold it up on both ends of the front of his car. He drove it that way for a couple of weeks until he found a shop that was open to fix it. So the cable ties you buy in Home Depot,the thick plastic ones hold up well.

2961 - 2980 of 3076 Posts