My Tractor Forum banner
28641 - 28660 of 28861 Posts

· Citizen of Earth
17,005 Posts
Just FYI, most common smoke detectors have a finite lifespan, their detector deteriorates over time, and then you should replace the whole detector with a new one. I knew this, but didn't track when I had last replaced the upstairs one. Evidently, more modern detectors include circuitry to alert you that they need to be replaced by beeping.

Naturally, mine chose to do so just after I had fallen asleep...
They are designed that way. They will ONLY beep between the hours of 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM 😆Most of the ones I have seen have a 10 year life span. Mine came with 10 year batteries as well. We used to get the low battery wee hour morning beep at least twice a year, but now it only beeps when my wife is frying something for dinner.

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
I need to replace mine. I had no idea about the life span (especially for hard wired ones) until one went off and wouldn't stop. Of course, that sent them ALL off, and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop.

...When the FD came out... (sounds like a bad stand-up comedy joke), they found it right away, and that's when I learned about their lifespan.

I think it's probably not real (the short lifespan), unless the batteries aren't replaceable (mine are).

Mike

· Registered
5,579 Posts

· Citizen of Earth
17,005 Posts
My kidneys are acting up a little. I'm guessing it's a left over symptom from fighting off whatever respiratory virus my wife "shared" with me before Christmas. So for the past 2 days, I've had my feet wrapped up with elastic compression bandages (Ace bandages) because they are swollen to about 1 1/2 times their normal size. I'm going to the bathroom often and it's productive, just can't seem to get ahead of the swelling at the moment. I'm trying to keep my feet and legs elevated in the recliner while watching TV.

The local weather guessers have had me worried about the "big" snow storm for 3 days now. Seems the newest guess is that we might get up to 1" of snow this afternoon, changing over to sleet and freezing rain around 7:00 PM +/- and then become a rain only event with a chance of flurries late tomorrow morning. No one here has to be anywhere until tomorrow evening after it will be all over and whatever snow we get will have melted away from the rain. So the plan is to stay put and watch it thru the window.

I'm looking to replacing all 4 tires on my 4WD truck. That is a HUNK of change, no matter how you shop around. My current set are Toyos that came with an aggressive semi-off road tread and a 60,000 mile warranty that I bought about 7 1/2 maybe 8 years ago. I've got close to all of those 60,000 miles, they have been really good tires. They set me back just over $1,000 back then. Maybe I can get the same tires again, should last me the rest of my driving life since I'm only averaging 5,000 miles a year now-a-days.

Today's activities are to load all the digital coupons onto our grocery store discount cards, watch TV and find something to watch on the bedroom TV besides football tonight while my wife watches the game. I'm not a fan, haven't been for many years now. Accomplishments for today so far are folding laundry, cleaning the cat's food and water dishes, cleaning all the parts to my CPAP machine, and eating lunch. Speaking of lunch, I opened a yogurt with an expiry date of Feb. 10th to discover the dreaded green hair. Paid 50 cents for it, so it ain't worth the gas or the aggravation to return it. I blame it on them only putting 6 oz of yogurt into the cups designed back when they used to sell 8 oz. That makes a lot of air space in the top of the container.

For those that are getting hit with today's snow storm, may you enjoy the seat time if you can, and be safe at all times! I'm staying inside and warm!

Reactions: PA318Guy

· Super Moderator
17,117 Posts
The National Cemeteries are all very capable of grabbing your emotions, but Arlington is some place that just brings tears to your eyes when you see it. The Guards are mesmerizing, the changing of the Guard is an event that you will never forget...I still remember the first time I saw it over 60 years ago....I was in the American Cemetery in Italy this past September .....right outside of Florence. It is meticulously maintained, as it should be in tribute to the men and women ( yes some women) who died in battle ....and never got back home...Thank you UT for helping that effort
Sky Nature Natural environment Plant Cemetery

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
I have mixed feelings on those cemeteries for US servicemen overseas. Why would we not bring them home and let their families have the comfort of knowing where they are and the ability to visit them easily?

Mike

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Went to a wake for the wife of a good friend today. She'd battled stage 4 pancreatic cancer for the better part of three years, the doctors didn't expect her to last a few months at the time of diagnosis.

As my friend said, tell your wife you love her every morning and every night. And as I said to him, do the same with your kids (parents, siblings, etc.).

He's one of the friendliest guys I know. Never seen him not smile, even today.

Mike

· Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
11,008 Posts
I need to replace mine. I had no idea about the life span (especially for hard wired ones) until one went off and wouldn't stop. Of course, that sent them ALL off, and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop.

...When the FD came out... (sounds like a bad stand-up comedy joke), they found it right away, and that's when I learned about their lifespan.

I think it's probably not real (the short lifespan), unless the batteries aren't replaceable (mine are).

Mike
At least some of the detectors use a small amount of radioactive material as part of their detector, and that uses itself up over time. As well, detectors fail over time, just because something fails, and few people test them that they do function.

· Super Moderator
17,117 Posts
I have mixed feelings on those cemeteries for US servicemen overseas. Why would we not bring them home and let their families have the comfort of knowing where they are and the ability to visit them easily?

Mike
Believe it or not it was because the money that it would have cost was needed for the war effort

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
Believe it or not it was because the money that it would have cost was needed for the war effort
I figured, and started to write that, but didn't want to sound like I was being political. To me, it's a humanity thing.

Mike

• Sad
Reactions: MARK (LI)

· Premium Member
16,699 Posts
At least some of the detectors use a small amount of radioactive material as part of their detector, and that uses itself up over time. As well, detectors fail over time, just because something fails, and few people test them that they do function.
Good to know, thank you.

Mike

· Likes Vintage JDs
13,049 Posts
The National Cemeteries are all very capable of grabbing your emotions, but Arlington is some place that just brings tears to your eyes when you see it. The Guards are mesmerizing, the changing of the Guard is an event that you will never forget...I still remember the first time I saw it over 60 years ago....I was in the American Cemetery in Italy this past September .....right outside of Florence. It is meticulously maintained, as it should be in tribute to the men and women ( yes some women) who died in battle ....and never got back home...Thank you UT for helping that effort
View attachment 2580919
That is a beautiful cemetery. It is gratifying to see it cared for like that.

Helping at Arlington is the very least we locals can do, compared to the sacrifices made by those who were laid to rest there, and their families. I get to say hello to a few old friends while there, too.👍

· Premium Member
9,732 Posts
Went to Church, talked with some friends. Out to lunch and talked to more friends. Stopped by the house and picked up the mail, checked out the electrical in the trailer and made a repair. Both 110 and 12 volt supplies were working again when we left. Will be stopping again later in the week to make sure everything is functioning as should be and the battery survived. By the time everything else was checked out I was cold and ready to go. Came back and took a nap.
There will be warmer days.

· Registered
679 Posts
Spent Saturday putting hemp fiber insulation to the attic between ceiling and rafters. We hired two youngsters from local 4-H to help ripping and fluffing the fiber from bale and lifting two floors up and in from upstairs window. I was up there filling the hollows. A full day of crawling and going on all fours.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Wall Tints and shades

There will be a layer of fire resistant rock wool around the chimney in accordance with the local regulations.

We will schedule next full day of putting the insulation to the flat part after a month a so. I think we can then get it completed.

I also got new foldable attick ladders installed. I needed to make a collar from thick plywood for mounting and to prevent insulation from falling down.
Wood Shade Beam Tints and shades Fixture

· Registered
1,946 Posts
What Moen is not serviceable? Water temperature is set at the stem. If you're not flushing the line before installing an aerator that's not their problem.
my kitchen unit, they sell the aerator as part of the head $65.00 please.the lines were clean,the flow reducers inside plugged up from dissolved lime in the well water
heres the email they sent me
Moen Consumer Services

Hello charles and thank you for your interest in Moen products. The aerator is not a replaceable part on the Renzo faucet. We are sending you an email to get more information to assist you. Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly. Our business hours are 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday Eastern Time.

28641 - 28660 of 28861 Posts