My Tractor Forum banner

241 - 260 of 781 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Those ladies are doing you a solid...or trying to kill you with cholesterol. Hmmm...

How you gonna fill the holes?
Those chickens don't know it's Sunday, if they want to work weekends, fine by me!

For the firewall I plan on getting someone with a parts car to cut me a section roughly like this and I'll cut my firewall to match and weld the panel in.

20200223_200137.jpg

Initially I was just gonna 'glass over it but I keep poking more holes in it, the metal is just too thin. I really didnt want to take this invasive of an approach, but I've already come this far.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Nice job on the mower, Steve!

I'm working on getting rid of the remnants from the playset. Looks like some of the trim is cedar, but I'm thinking the 2x parts are PT. It's all weathered, so it's tough to tell.

I'm hesitant to burn the PT, but I put all the thin stuff into the burn pile (along with a lot of bark that I've generated from firewood duty over the past few weeks), that's going well, so I'm on to making more firewood.

Mike
Got a place out side to burn the pt or a sealed stove it should be ok. Definitely not fire place wood.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,948 Posts
At least 50 deg. today so did some final work on front deck and started the latticework.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #244

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
Got a place out side to burn the pt or a sealed stove it should be ok. Definitely not fire place wood.
Thanks. Yes, I have a brush burning area, which is where I burn questionable stuff like pallets (hardware and all), as well as bark, punky wood, old Christmas trees, etc.

I didn't drop anything today, but I did process this tree that dropped itself last year. This was about 8-10 inches diameter at the base (although it snapped off a few feet from the ground).

The wood was very wet inside, the bark was loaded with white larvae (see pic), and I found a bunch of carpenter ants trying to hibernate (no pic). I cut, split and debarked this, got just about a 10 cuft cart worth of firewood out of it (I tossed the piece with the ants directly into the fire...

Mike

20200223_152842.jpg
20200223_161213.jpg
20200223_161549.jpg
20200223_161552.jpg
20200223_170402.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I have a brush burning area, which is where I burn questionable stuff like pallets (hardware and all), as well as bark, punky wood, old Christmas trees, etc.

I didn't drop anything today, but I did process this tree that dropped itself last year. This was about 8-10 inches diameter at the base (although it snapped off a few feet from the ground).

The wood was very wet inside, the bark was loaded with whire larvae (see pic), and I found a bunch of carpenter ants trying to hibernate (no pic) View attachment 2447024 View attachment 2447025 View attachment 2447026 View attachment 2447027 View attachment 2447028 View attachment 2447029 . I cut, split and debarked this, got just about a 10 cuft cart worth of firewood out of it (I tossed the piece with the ants directly into the fire...

Mike
Got one of those to cut up myself some day. It fell down a year ago and I just pushed it out of the way with the tractor last summer so the grass around it could be mowed.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #247

The wood was very wet inside, the bark was loaded with whire larvae (see pic), and I found a bunch of carpenter ants trying to hibernate (no pic). I cut, split and debarked this, got just about a 10 cuft cart worth of firewood out of it (I tossed the piece with the ants directly into the fire...

Mike

View attachment 2447024 View attachment 2447025 View attachment 2447026 View attachment 2447027 View attachment 2447029
I have a metal bucket I bring wood into the house in. One year I looked over and it had a fountain of carpenter ants pouring out of it after it warmed next to the woodstove. Mad dash to get that crap outside lol.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,772 Posts
I've had some logs I brought in the house to burn that were full of carpenter ants too,when I split one about 5 million came running out of it..scooped them up and tossed them into the stove and got the log in there quick,before too many escaped..last thing you want in your house besides mice and roaches,is carpenter ants..I now only lug in a few logs at a time,and keep them far enough away from the house not to encourage and ants to try sneaking in..

Years ago in my garage I burned a lot of free pallets for heat--one of the places I went to get them had some sheets of plywood,OSB,and masonite available for the taking..
I took several sheets and didn't use them right away--I stashed them up against the back wall of my garage,along with a few dozen 3x12" timbers about 2 feet long,that made great cribbing for blocking up things you jacked up..
One day I was in the garage and heard a weird sound--like mice chewing up a carrot or potato chips..
I wandered around and listened,and located the source,it was coming from those timbers I had piled up on the bench behind the sheets of masonite--I moved the sheets away from the building,and was horrified to see a pile of carpenter ants in between the arches of the metal building,there must have been 50 pounds of them,and a lot got away before I could douse them with gas..I picked up the timber on top of the pile and found a few million more ants,they had eaten away the entire timber inside!--only the outer edges were left intact..those went right in the stove too..

The masonite sheets were pure mold on the back side too,so they also got busted up and burned..
I was getting a runny nose and allergy symptoms for months every time I went in the garage,I assumed it was due to the wood stove,but it was probably that mold..

A lot of the logs I have stashed outside now look like the ones in Mike's post above,I do not like burning them in the house,due to the mold,and they are all punky and light as balsa wood and burn up in a matter of minutes...without throwing much heat...I'm planning to burn brush possibly this week,and I think I'm going to toss a lot of that moldy wood in the fire...ticks me off to waste what was good logs,cutting them up took a lot of work and a toll on me!..this is why I burn pallets mostly now,I do not cut trees in my yard any more,I just let the dead ones come down on their own and cut them up into logs..

I have a lot of fallen trees out back I propped up on other trees so they wont rot lying on the wet ground--it doesn't take long for them to become worthless here,they'll mold up and turn to mush in a matter of months lying on the ground..

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
This wasn't completely on the ground, so the whole thing isn't mush. I got it in time so it's not very rotten at all (some of the pieces had maybe 1/4 inch of rot started under the bark). This stuff was very solid, and very heavy due to the water content. I'm putting it in a new rack, so it should get at least a year to season.

I've been very picky about what I keep to burn in the house. Anything with ants in it gets burned outdoors.

My dad had a wooden shed at his old house. Squirrels chewed their way in through a soffit, and did a lot of damage to the rafters. So, we emptied it to get to the damaged area to repair it and fix the roof. Well, he'd stored a bunch of plywood in there, which had gotten wet, and was full of carpenter ants. They turned some of the plywood into enough sawdust to attract a family of mice. What a disgusting job that turned into...

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Had the same thing happen with plywood leaning on edge in my old rotten wellhouse with the roof leaking. Look like an Ant farm when I separated the sheets.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Wake up everyone! What's the latest? I spent last night over at my rental property fixing a plumbing leak. The copper pipes over there have been pinholing for a few years and it seems like every few months I have to go over and fix one. They have pretty much all been confined to the basement except for a few, which is good because I dont mind making holes in the basement ceiling, but if I make holes upstairs I've got to fix them.

This time it was a tiny pinhole on a vertical pipe about two inches above a "T" fitting. Of course it was located between two really tight floor joists and directly above the main I beam. Not much room to work, no way to get a pro press in there and getting a torch and solder up there would be tough. So in this case I used sharkbite fittings and pex to replace the T and several sections of the pipe. Professional plumbers dont like them, but they are easy and they work.

So I got it back together and I must've made another pinhole as I was cutting the pipe, directly above the fitting because it was still leaking. So I took it back apart, cut a longer piece of pex pipe and put it back together. No more leaks... for now. Fortunately I've already replaced the majority of the pipes, but there are still sections that are original and will eventually need replaced.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hey WrongDoug,
Have you thought about the ProPex expanded fittings? While the expander tools from DeWalt & Milwaukee are a tad expensive for the average homeowner, they work really good in the sometimes cramped spaces for remodeling and repair.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
My thoughts if it meets code use it. Some locals refuse anything but copper. Other would allow plastic straws if you could make it work. I like the pex myself. No worries about a pipe freezing and the water mess when it thaws out. If you are going to do a lot of it the expansion tool pays for itself in no time. The fitting are dirt cheap compaired to compression fittings

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well the pro press is my preferred method, but there isn't always space to get the press onto the pipe. If I can't use pro press, I like sweat on new copper, but being a rental property, I want to inconvenience my tenants as little as possible, and sharkbites are fast and easy and I can have their water shut off for as little time as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
At home I have started doing zoned water supply. Can shut off as little as needed or the whole house. Eventually even auto shut off valves will be installed. Just dont put them on anything that requires an extended period water supply.

·
Ford Man
124 Posts
BAck from town for a supply run and a doc visit. She liked my BP this time. ?
Hey anyone know where the best place to hawk a gravely walk behind mower sulky? All I have left is the sulky. Mower is long gone.

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
Back to work after almost a week due to grandfather passing, and being sick myself (unrelated illness).

Was nice to get back in the office. I haven't been sleeping well, and would have had a hard time staying awake at home if I tried working remotely. Hopefully I don't get everyone here sick.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Sorry Mike. The stress of what you've been dealing with is a factor in getting sick. Hope things are going to get better for you.

241 - 260 of 781 Posts