My Tractor Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2679 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,402
Thank you
Mark if I'm welding for myself I'm gonna take my time and clean stuff up. No time for that in shops. So if I had to use one rod it would be 7018.

Pretty, flat welds, smooth running, smells awesome, and flux flakes off just rubbing the chipping hammer across it. Great, great rod.

Reactions: Bebop

·
Premium Member
3,711 Posts
Ugh. Since I bought my truck ('04 Sierra 3500) about 6 years ago, most winters, naturally only on a pretty cold day (high is lower than -25C), one power steering hose would blow off it's fitting when I've driving around doing snow removal (not while driving, seems to only happen when I stop at a customers house, not sure if it's when I turn off the truck or start it up again). I tried a couple different types of hose clamps, and most recently put on two clamps, one past the ridge in the fitting, the one right over the ridge.

And, last summer, after it happened again during the winter, I decided to replace the hose as well, even though it appeared fine on visual inspection of the problem end. Given the way GM crimped the other end of the hose to the power steering cooler, I decided to clean up and paint another PS cooler, and replace it along with new hoses to/from the PS cooler.

Worked fine during the winter, didn't have the problem.

But, today the hose (which was brand new power steering hose, rated for 250#, used as a return line (goes from PS rack, to PS cooler, then to PS reservoir), got a nice pinhole in the middle of it. Wasn't rubbed through, as I put the plastic shield over the hose, just a small hole in the middle of the line with fluid squirting out.

And I've just come up the idea of with putting a pressure gauge on that line, as somehow it must be getting too much pressure inside (which it shouldn't, as it's on the return side of the PS system, the pressure side uses screw-in pressure fittings instead of just hose clamps on slip-on fittings).

·
Premium Member
8,561 Posts
That's frustrating, especially in the cold! Have you searched or posted on GM / Chevy truck forums? Might be a common problem with potential solutions.

Mike

·
4,878 Posts
Mark if I'm welding for myself I'm gonna take my time and clean stuff up. No time for that in shops. So if I had to use one rod it would be 7018.

Pretty, flat welds, smooth running, smells awesome, and flux flakes off just rubbing the chipping hammer across it. Great, great rod.
I was always using 6013s...don't remember why.....and then tried the 7018s with much better results...I had gotten a handful of 6011s...at one time and I don't remember if I ever even used them..gotta give them another try...thanks

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
7018 is my favorite all around rod. MIG welding is convenient but stick welding is plain fun.

And if these fumes are bad for me, they at least should smell good. In high school I took quite a few welding classes, and for the first year or two there was no ventilation other than opening the doors and a few box fans . By the end of class there would be so much smoke filling the room you could barely see.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,407
7018 is my favorite all around rod. MIG welding is convenient but stick welding is plain fun.

And if these fumes are bad for me, they at least should smell good. In high school I took quite a few welding classes, and for the first year or two there was no ventilation other than opening the doors and a few box fans . By the end of class there would be so much smoke filling the room you could barely see.
Yeah, I hope it doesn't come back and bite us in the rear later on. You should see a trailer shop in winter with a couple guys arc-gouging. Looks like a Bob Marley concert.

Reactions: WrongDoug and Bebop
2,669 Posts
I have a little planting area around the back patio that I had to use the rototiller attachment on my Ryobi weed wacker to loosen the soil. I added a 15 lb. weight on it to really dig up the soil and turned it over. The weight helped it get down about 4 to 6 inches. After about 30 mins., I was soaking wet from the humidity and had to come inside to cool off with some ice tea.
20200630_114855.jpg
20200630_115002.jpg
20200630_114904.jpg

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Interesting, can I ask how well it works? I'm looking around at used mini-tillers at the moment. No big needs, I'd like to be able to turn over the soil in the areas where I'm adding dirt in the yard, to kind of chew up the grass that I buried underneath. And to have a way to kind of scuff-up/loosen the top of the soil, for other areas that need to be seeded. A rear-tine tiller is obviously much more capable, but seems overkill for me, is more expensive, and takes more storage space.

I have a Crafsman weedwhacker that can take an attachment like that. I'm also looking at things like the little Mantis tillers. I like the idea that those ones let you reverse the tines, so they either dig in deeper (teeth rotating into the dirt), or kind of skim along the top (teeth rotating away from the dirt).

·
Premium Member
8,561 Posts
I have the same mini tiller attachment setup (Troy Bilt brand). Doesn't work at all without adding weight as described by Don above. I use a large ankle weight, wrapped around the shaft. Works great with the weight.

I had a neighbor who swore by his Mantis. The nice thing about those is that all of the weight is down at the tiller, working for you to dig.

The nice thing about the attachment is, one less engine to maintain.

With any of these small units, breaking new ground is asking a lot.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,711 Posts
That's frustrating, especially in the cold! Have you searched or posted on GM / Chevy truck forums? Might be a common problem with potential solutions.

Mike
I have on a couple of different forums, and nobody has had a problem like this. The typical problem is just that the PS (and the oil cooler and trans cooler) lines leak at the crimps where they switch between metal tubes and rubber hoses. I've even gone through the full-service manual looking for what the underlying problem might be.

·
Premium Member
8,561 Posts
Yuck. Sounds like bad luck on the replaced hose, but that's a complete guess. I think your idea of measuring the pressure has merit.

Let us know how it turns out!

Mike

Reactions: Bebop
2,669 Posts
Interesting, can I ask how well it works? I'm looking around at used mini-tillers at the moment. No big needs, I'd like to be able to turn over the soil in the areas where I'm adding dirt in the yard, to kind of chew up the grass that I buried underneath. And to have a way to kind of scuff-up/loosen the top of the soil, for other areas that need to be seeded. A rear-tine tiller is obviously much more capable, but seems overkill for me, is more expensive, and takes more storage space.

I have a Crafsman weedwhacker that can take an attachment like that. I'm also looking at things like the little Mantis tillers. I like the idea that those ones let you reverse the tines, so they either dig in deeper (teeth rotating into the dirt), or kind of skim along the top (teeth rotating away from the dirt).
The area I was doing has been a planting area so it easily got dug up. It was overgrown with weeds and grass. The machine itself weighs a lot maybe 30 lbs without the 15 lb weight. It also puts a beating on your body. I have to wear a back brace when using it. It dug down on the areas where the earth was never disturb.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback!

I did see someone mention adding weight, in a YouTube video about an electric one. That guy also made a strap to go around his waist, to the machine. That seemed like an interesting idea to me to help spread the load, and I'm not worried about fashion.

Interesting point about the weed whacker attachment versions having the weight at the "wrong" end. And some may have you just holding the normal weed whacker shaft, which isn't really set up for that sort of bouncing (it's not spread-apart handles, etc).

My thinking is that they're not huge areas, I'd rather start with one of these mini tools, and see how it goes. If it's a complete failure, then try something else. But if it takes 45 minutes instead of 30 with a bigger machine, I can probably live with that. Still beats doing it by hand.

My craftsman, I wasn't quite clear. You mean yours was able to dig down into untouched soil?

I confess I'm intrigued by the electric ones. I have a corded single stage Toro snow thrower, that thing is awesome for deck duty, and only weighs like 25 pounds. I've had it in 18" snow, over the top of the machine, it keeps going. There's no centrifugal clutch to slip as the motor slows down, so it just kinda grunts and keeps going.

Seems like that approach may be good for a little tiller too. But it looks like the Sun Joe tines just go on one way, and I wonder if the machines will hold up over time. But at around $135 new, they're not a huge outlay, anyways. And there's no carb to worry about.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,418
Coming together. Don't scratch it!!! :D
20200630_152016.jpg

Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Super Moderator
29,590 Posts
More D-Rings on the trailer, of course they didn't have exact same ones they had two months ago!! Also, I fabricated a couple of brackets to hold up my banner for when going to plow days. They aren't perfect by any standard but should do the job:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Used the tractor and cart to change out the bedding in the chicken coop. Worked well. This stuff supposedly makes great compost but I'm just tossinh it in the woods.
20200630_140632.jpg
20200630_140638.jpg

Bought some new Sawzall blades today, I'm gonna need them cutting those floors out of the Buick.
20200630_143057.jpg

Found this little ******* running around the yard. I think I've mentioned how I feel about snakes before... echh.
20200630_141026.jpg

2401 - 2420 of 2679 Posts