My Tractor Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2680 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
used my craftsman pusher today, I just love my custom ventilated mower deck.
That is.... quite a custom piece!

I'll admit that this was sort of how I figured out my tractor deck was rusting through last year, when I was trying to figure out why my right foot was abnormally covered in clippings after mowing. But geez, I never thought to consider it a custom feature! "Now with side-discharge and front-discharge!"

·
Super Moderator
29,590 Posts
I have an old Craftsman "Eager One" that the deck is almost the same. Shame they didn't use non-rusting deck on them because the engine was still in good shape when I took it out of service.

·
Premium Member
8,563 Posts
Holy random follow-up, Batman...

Today is exactly three weeks since my lawn care company found that my controller box was dead.

I fixed it myself within a week (with some advice from YouTube videos and your encouragement here). Cost of the new box (local irrigation supply) was around $140, including the extra module needed to connect 5 zones.

Today, I finally got a call with a quote from the lawn company, $240. Had they called me the same week (as I fully expected), I'd have paid them to do it.

I'm sort of speechless that this took them so long to follow up. I'd honestly thought they'd forgotten all about it!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
29,590 Posts
When I needed a company to put in my septic grinder and pump I had it installed for 3 months before the original company I called gave me a quote. I know when I worked for a general contractor one summer only the bigger jobs got responded to unless they had a slow period.

·
Premium Member
8,563 Posts
These guys are pretty money hungry, so that's the reason I'm surprised. The guy who came out sounded like he's retired, but is working for them part time as they're really busy right now.

I'm mostly surprised that I didn't get at least a call with a price and a long-wait installation date. This would have been a 1-hour job for them.

Mike

2,669 Posts
I guess its whoever needs the work. When I called for tree removal estimates, a man far away showed up the same day with an offer I couldn't refused. The others took their time calling me back. Kind of like your situation. They snooze, they lose.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,389
Yeak Mike that's irritating and you figure they don't even want the job. I had a similar experience trying to get some gutters put up. Guy finally showed up on a Sunday morning to put them up.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,390
I pulled my sleeve hitch off today and shored it up. Hope I dont have to mess with it again.

Welded steel to 4 different places on it and got the slow drying Majic paint on it. Hopefully it'll be dry by the time I get the lift part of it done tomorrow. I'll paint it Lowe's Project Source black and it'll be dry in 15 minutes.

Doubled the pivot pin contact area.
20200629_145351.jpg

Connected the two sides of the bottom with 1/4"
20200629_150543.jpg

Right side 1/4" top to bottom.
20200629_153046.jpg

Bottom to side gussets
20200629_162904.jpg

Before welding I stripped the paint because it had a dry spot that wouldn't take paint the first time I painted it. After stripping I scrubbed it with hot purple degreaser followed by a wipe with acetone then naptha. No dry spot this time. Side bracket is Rustoleum Marigold and hitch is Majic CC yellow. Rustoleum is lighter/less orange.
20200629_174051.jpg

20200629_174454_Burst01.jpg

Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,392
Some nice welding (y)...the paint ain't bad neither :)
Thank you sir! Feel like I finally figured this flux core out. Took longer than I thought it would.
20200629_153110.jpg

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
4,878 Posts
What wire machine are you using?....are you as satisfied with the results as stick?......when using stick....do you usually stay with the same stick?...or do you switch for any reason?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Wow, it looks great!

What do you use for cutting your steel? I tried a metal-cutting blade in my Sawzall, and wasn't really impressed. Maybe they were cheap blades, but seemed like they dulled quickly, and made a heck of a racket (plus I needed the piece to be clamped in the vise in the basement, to hold it still). After trying the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, that's become my preferred method. Still loud, but I seem to do better with getting straighter cuts. Something like a cutting torch, or plasma cutter, would probably be awfully nice.

·
4,878 Posts
A torch makes kind of a rough cut....and the torches and gauges and hose take a lot of room to store them...something to be done strictly outside...the plasma cutters do a nice job...but same thing...they take a lot of room

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is.... quite a custom piece!

I'll admit that this was sort of how I figured out my tractor deck was rusting through last year, when I was trying to figure out why my right foot was abnormally covered in clippings after mowing. But geez, I never thought to consider it a custom feature! "Now with side-discharge and front-discharge!"
Now that's positive thinking .

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,397
What wire machine are you using?....are you as satisfied with the results as stick?......when using stick....do you usually stay with the same stick?...or do you switch for any reason?
Miller 130xp. When I worked in the trailer shop I'd use 7018 for clean steel or when welding overhead. I'd use 6011 for blowing thru rust or paint.
I would get easier penetration with stick but I'm getting it done with the wire feeder. I may eventually buy a stick welder or a TIG/stick power source.

20200629_200342.jpg

Wow, it looks great!

What do you use for cutting your steel? I tried a metal-cutting blade in my Sawzall, and wasn't really impressed. Maybe they were cheap blades, but seemed like they dulled quickly, and made a heck of a racket (plus I needed the piece to be clamped in the vise in the basement, to hold it still). After trying the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, that's become my preferred method. Still loud, but I seem to do better with getting straighter cuts. Something like a cutting torch, or plasma cutter, would probably be awfully nice.
I have a Porter cable chop saw and I use a 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel like you do. Don't have a torch or plasma. I use bimetal hole saws in my drill press for bigger holes.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,400
6011 better on rust than 6013s?
I've never used 6013. 6011 is good for dirty stuff cuz the flux is hard.

7018 has soft flux and it would break off when you beat it on rust trying to light it off.

2381 - 2400 of 2680 Posts