My Tractor Forum banner
23901 - 23920 of 24915 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,901 ·
My bypass is a return line that goes back into the tank, I always make sure that it is "returning" some of the fluid back:

View attachment 2556066
Mine just has 2 ports in the tank-- a drain port and the supply port to the pump. The pump outlet goes to the gun.

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,904 ·

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,906 ·
Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Stupid doesn't begin to describe it...it has one of those spring loaded spouts that you have to hold back and tilt the container upright to break the vacuum ...momentarily, then you have to do it again...you are supposed to just put the spout in the tank of the equipment and push down...it is supposed to release the fuel, but the vacuum just does not allow it

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
If you do manage to kill one of those pumps, replace it with a 12-volt RV water pump. Not cheap, but you can leave it on all day long with no ill effects.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
...And speaking of RV plumbing... (how's that for a segue???)...

Got the new hot water tank pressure relief valve installed today. The old one had a 4-inch temperature probe, the "universal" replacement has only a 3-inch probe. Installed easily, no leaks, and manual operation works, even at temperature.

Hopefully won't have to "test" it the hard way (the heater has a temperature control probe, this valve is a fail-safe if the probe or controls fail to turn the heater off, so the tank doesn't grenade).

Pics of old and new. The old one was definitely buggered up inside.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bicycle part
Finger Thumb Auto part Road surface Jewellery
Finger Gas Nail Thumb Household hardware
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Cable Electrical wiring

Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,910 ·
Stupid doesn't begin to describe it...it has one of those spring loaded spouts that you have to hold back and tilt the container upright to break the vacuum ...momentarily, then you have to do it again...you are supposed to just put the spout in the tank of the equipment and push down...it is supposed to release the fuel, but the vacuum just does not allow it
I saw someone trying to put gas in a pickup on the side of the road with one. Half the gas was pouring down the side of the truck and on to the ground. I'd say the design may be flawed.
If you do manage to kill one of those pumps, replace it with a 12-volt RV water pump. Not cheap, but you can leave it on all day long with no ill effects.

Mike
I'll keep that in mind. I sprung for the higher cost model with a pump that has a fan built into it. I hope it has a long life.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
Forgot to mention, I replaced mine shortly after buying this RV in 2004, as the unit sat unused for a year or more, and the old pump ingested a bunch of garbage (growth) from the tank and/or filter housing.

The RV has since not sat with water in the tank for more than a few weeks since. I always triple-rinse it before filling for a trip (and I treat it).

So, it's possible to kill them, but only if you starve them. They're made to stop themselves after pressuring the system. Sucking air for a long time is definitely bad.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Forgot to mention, I replaced mine shortly after buying this RV in 2004, as the unit sat unused for a year or more, and the old pump ingested a bunch of garbage (growth) from the tank and/or filter housing.

The RV has since not sat with water in the tank for more than a few weeks since. I always triple-rinse it before filling for a trip (and I treat it).

So, it's possible to kill them, but only if you starve them. They're made to stop themselves after pressuring the system. Sucking air for a long time is definitely bad.

Mike
That pressure switch in ours it starting to go bad. The pump still works fine but the pump sometimes comes on a runs forever for on reason. If I catch it and shut the pump off briefly and turn it back on it starts working fine again. Needless to say we don't leave the pump on unattended anymore.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,981 Posts
Picture not appropriate

A friend of over 60 years is still active running his own excavation company. This past Saturday while operating a chop saw during a demo task the saw bucked from his grasp and up into his chest. It of course buried itself deep. The surgeon called in by emergency room staff told his brother the deep wound missed his heart by less than half an inch. The brother sent me a picture from the hospital. There is no bandage, they are leaving it open to heal from the inside. It is a wound like they make for movies with make-up. The prognosis at day 6 is a good recovery. I know this is a picture thread, but out of respect for this friend of mine, I won't share it. It wouldn't serve much purpose beyond a vivid reminder to any and all of us who operate machinery designed to cut things to be very careful, never let your guard down. In this case a very competent, experienced man is extremely lucky to be alive.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,744 Posts
Super fatigued from the crud I have. Grass is tall. Backyard has ticks in it. This stinks. Just gonna keep on taking the meds and hope I get past this so I can mow and spray. Hoping the sprayer gets here soon.

Rubi-Rose has been patrolling the backyard all day to make sure no cats get in. I hope it learned its lesson and was traumatized enough to not return.
Rubi-Rose sure did her job of alerting you to an intruder. GOOD DOG!

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Citizen of Earth
16,744 Posts
I went out yesterday to pick up some auction stuff I bought. Got 3 large plastic totes, 2 $1 boxes of books, a $1 camera tripod with an empty padded cam-corder case (will make a nice pistol case!) and some other goodies. Then it was off to the Post Office and the grocery store. Today I went out to a different auction to pick up 2 new in the box floor jacks, the kind with wheels that you roll under the car. Both rated for 2 1/2 tons and they cost me a total of $35. I wrongly assumed that they would both be about the same size. But one weighed about 25 pounds like I expected and the other one was in a box twice the size and must have weighed 75 pounds or more. It was labeled "Heavy Duty" and the emphasis would be on HEAVY. On the way home, I stopped at Wendy's for lunch and they still have a "Value Menu" although the value isn't as cheap as it used to be. I got 3 Junior Cheeseburger Deluxes for lunch, 3 because as the word "junior" suggests, they are small. Still cost me $7 for lunch. I stopped at a different grocery store in hopes I would find "Chunky" brand chocolate bars. Remember them? I saw them a couple of months ago while in Cracker Barrel and bought 2. Haven't seen them in YEARS! I recently saw them again at my local Ace hardware store and bought a couple more. My wife loves them as much as I do. A return visit to the hardware store was disappointing in that they moved the candy display and apparently the Chunky bars didn't make the cut. The grocery store today didn't have any either. I'm not driving 40 miles to Cracker Barrel to get more. I guess I'll have to see if I can order on line. Running around the past couple of days caught up with me and I had to take a nap this afternoon. I slept about 5 hours. I'm feeling better. It's been a pretty good couple of days.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,815 Posts
Picture not appropriate

A friend of over 60 years is still active running his own excavation company. This past Saturday while operating a chop saw during a demo task the saw bucked from his grasp and up into his chest. It of course buried itself deep. The surgeon called in by emergency room staff told his brother the deep wound missed his heart by less than half an inch. The brother sent me a picture from the hospital. There is no bandage, they are leaving it open to heal from the inside. It is a wound like they make for movies with make-up. The prognosis at day 6 is a good recovery. I know this is a picture thread, but out of respect for this friend of mine, I won't share it. It wouldn't serve much purpose beyond a vivid reminder to any and all of us who operate machinery designed to cut things to be very careful, never let your guard down. In this case a very competent, experienced man is extremely lucky to be alive.
Holy moly. That is sobering indeed. Hope he recovers quickly.

Thanks for the reminder, and for not sharing the photo!! 🤢

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
That pressure switch in ours it starting to go bad. The pump still works fine but the pump sometimes comes on a runs forever for on reason. If I catch it and shut the pump off briefly and turn it back on it starts working fine again. Needless to say we don't leave the pump on unattended anymore.
I don't leave the pump on either (at least, not intentionally). But, it does shut off like it should. If a pipe were to let go, that'd be up to 40 gallons of water everywhere until the pump started running dry, and I'm sure nothing good would happen after that.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,918 ·
On my sprayer pump instructions it says to drain the tank after use, flush it, run their conditioner thru it or a dish-soap mix thru it to protect the pump. Is this necessary?

If so I was thinking about disconnecting the pump at the tank and hooking a garden hose directly to the pump inlet and flushing it like that so I don't have to drain and wash out the tank every time.

·
Super Moderator
12,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,919 ·
Picture not appropriate

Stinks for him and I hate it for him. I see wounds all day so no need to see more. Thanks for not sharing. Cuts like that deposit a lot of bacteria so it is smart to leave it open. Bacteria trapped inside has to be flushed out so no need to open and flush several times if you don't need to. Did he get hit with a saw blade or a fiber blade? I'm guessing this was a quickie gas powered saw?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
On my sprayer pump instructions it says to drain the tank after use, flush it, run their conditioner thru it or a dish-soap mix thru it to protect the pump. Is this necessary?

If so I was thinking about disconnecting the pump at the tank and hooking a garden hose directly to the pump inlet and flushing it like that so I don't have to drain and wash out the tank every time.
Soapy water would not only help clean but protect the rubbers in the pump. The pump on my paint sprayer calls for the same procedure.

23901 - 23920 of 24915 Posts