My Tractor Forum banner
23881 - 23900 of 24998 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,895 Posts
Looking at Tim's cab posts makes me think that I need to re-think how I work around here. I'm always behind on the current season's jobs. Maybe I need to get over it, let them go and focus on working a season or two ahead?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
43,933 Posts
Looking at Tim's cab posts makes me think that I need to re-think how I work around here. I'm always behind on the current season's jobs. Maybe I need to get over it, let them go and focus on working a season or two ahead?

Mike
I always hate if I don't stay at least one season ahead Mike. Worst thing to do is see snow outside and then remember you wanted to fix something you need in winter. Also, I have to have all painting done before temps fall below 60° F as I don't really want to be painting in the workshop. Much easier to do it outside and doesn't get all over everything.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I understand that the discussion was about lubing wheel studs. What I'm saying is that the torque value for wheel studs is dry. There isn't a torque value for lubed studs because no manufacturer advocates lubing them. If you are lubing them and torquing them to dry spec then you are over-torquing them and thus they are not torqued to spec.

I have lubed wheel studs in the past and didn't have problems. Never used a a torque wrench on them either in all my years of mechanic service and never had a problem. As I have been out of the biz for 13 years I trust my feel for torque has diminished and I use my torque wrenches more now due to that. So, I use my torque wrench and torque to spec--which is dry. Not opinion or anecdotal info--manufacturer spec.

Per GM: NEVER USE LUBRICANTS OR PENETRATING OILS ON WHEEL STUDS, NUTS OR MOUNTING SURFACES, AS THIS CAN RAISE THE ACTUAL TORQUE ON THE NUT WITHOUT CORRESPONDING TORQUE READING ON THE TORQUE WRENCH. WHEEL NUTS, STUDS AND MOUNTING SURFACES MUST BE CLEAN AND DRY. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN WHEEL, NUT, AND/OR STUD FAILURE
whatever, I'm not here to bicker over nitpickery , other manufactures tell you to clean and lightly coat with oil. all I gotta say is I grease em up , torque em down and I or any car I've ever worked on that I know of has never lost a wheel in my 30 years of being tech. that track record says something but I guess I've been wrong all these years :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,885 ·
Super fatigued from the crud I have. Grass is tall. Backyard has ticks in it. This stinks. Just gonna keep on taking the meds and hope I get past this so I can mow and spray. Hoping the sprayer gets here soon.

Rubi-Rose has been patrolling the backyard all day to make sure no cats get in. I hope it learned its lesson and was traumatized enough to not return.

·
Premium Member
14,895 Posts
Spent about an hour (tonight) doing more cleanup in the garden (sticks, weeds, etc.). No pics, it was dark when I finished.

Then I grabbed the Milwaukee M18 Rover light, and replaced the dead coach battery in the RV (this runs everything not related to the chassis / engine, such as interior lights and water pump).

Before and after pics (no, the pics aren't upside-down, that's just the position of the cables/terminals vs. the battery location under the stairs).

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Trunk Gas Cable
Automotive tire Bumper Audio equipment Gadget Font

Looks like we got four seasons out of the old battery, which might be a new record for me.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,895 Posts
...I also drained the RV's hot water tank, but ran out of energy to deal with that tonight (need to replace the pressure relief valve).

Mike

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,556 Posts
Did some work, and then it started raining again, so I fixed one of the fuel fill ports on my truck. It has two, last year I fixed on of them, where the mounting plate had rusted through, and now I replaced the plate for the second one.

Original piece (already cut out, that top left corner had rusted through the 1/8" sheet metal):
Wood Gas Font Circle Metal

And after I got the new plate welded on, and was bolting the filler to the mount, I found I was having a hard time getting the socket onto the nut to tighten it. Eventually, I figured out why:
Wood Finger Household hardware Gas Jewellery

The finished job:
Water Automotive tire Wood Bumper Rim

The longest part of the job was finding the 3 extra screws I had bought last year, to use on this one, it took more than an hour and I was about to hit HD for another set when I did find the box they were in.

·
Premium Member
14,895 Posts
...The longest part of the job was finding the 3 extra screws I had bought last year, to use on this one, it took more than an hour and I was about to hit HD for another set when I did find the box they were in.
I hate how often that happens here. Too often, I don't find the hardware (or worse, parts or tools) until after I've bought replacements, and the job is done.

Mike

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,846 Posts
I hate how often that happens here. Too often, I don't find the hardware (or worse, parts or tools) until after I've bought replacements, and the job is done.

Mike
Put me on that list, too. Happens all the time. ☹

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,897 ·
The sprayer just showed up in a Penske rental van. I never did get tracking from Cabela's on it and had no idea when it would get here or even if it shipped. Looks like they were on it.
Automotive design Wheel Vehicle Automotive exterior Wood
Home appliance Headgear Gas Electronic device Personal protective equipment

Of course Rubi had to bark it up at him. She's been out back off and on all day since the cat burglar broke in.

It looks good and has inserts embedded in the plastic in the top and back for mounting in a carrier. I am going to put my sleeve hitch forkset in the 3225's 3-pt, put a pallet on it and set it in the pallet.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

When I went to the doc the other day I was waiting for scripts to be filled and went to TSC. Looked at their sprayers for ideas. I may rig a distribution log like this. I'd like to be able to keep the wand usable as well as the boomless nozzle which is supposed to be here today.
Tripod Camera Aircraft Font Gas

·
Super Moderator
43,933 Posts
The sprayer just showed up in a Penske rental van. I never did get tracking from Cabela's on it and had no idea when it would get here or even if it shipped. Looks like they were on it.
View attachment 2556062 View attachment 2556063

Of course Rubi had to bark it up at him. She's been out back off and on all day since the cat burglar broke in.

It looks good and has inserts embedded in the plastic in the top and back for mounting in a carrier. I am going to put my sleeve hitch forkset in the 3225's 3-pt, put a pallet on it and set it in the pallet.
View attachment 2556064

When I went to the doc the other day I was waiting for scripts to be filled and went to TSC. Looked at their sprayers for ideas. I may rig a distribution log like this. I'd like to be able to keep the wand usable as well as the boomless nozzle which is supposed to be here today.
View attachment 2556065
Randy, always allow a little bypass when using the boom or gun, that way if you shut them down it keeps some fluid flowing in the pump. Doesn't take a pump long to go bad without fluid passing through cooling it. Also when testing for the first time, have the water level above the pump so it primes immediately.

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,899 ·
Randy, always allow a little bypass when using the boom or gun, that way if you shut them down it keeps some fluid flowing in the pump. Doesn't take a pump long to go bad without fluid passing through cooling it. Also when testing for the first time, have the water level above the pump so it primes immediately.
I didn't think to look at where that bypass went to on the TSC sprayer. Does it need another nipple mounted on the tank?

Reactions: bontai Joe
23881 - 23900 of 24998 Posts