My Tractor Forum banner
23841 - 23860 of 24998 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,895 Posts
Exactly!!! I was floored when I was talking to a friend who told me that in Pinewood Derby (Cub Scouts), there's been an arms race, and you can buy specialized axles, and some Dads with access to lathes, etc. really go over the top. The kids are lucky if they get to paint the cars...

Mike

• Wow
Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,985 Posts
I find my posts are frequently in left field from the current threads. But, I share anyway. Today is an annual Antique Car Show and mounded high ham sandwich picnic at a local church. The cars, trucks, and tractors are pretty much the same as every year, and I've shared pictures in prior years. But, on the way home I stopped at a new park, and in contemplating how to get a picture I decided on a selfie, and then noted I ride with Stihl sawing gloves. So, this post is a triple play: antique car show, trail riding, cross OPE Glove use

Helmet Plant Tree Headgear Personal protective equipment

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
I ca
Exactly!!! I was floored when I was talking to a friend who told me that in Pinewood Derby (Cub Scouts), there's been an arms race, and you can buy specialized axles, and some Dads with access to lathes, etc. really go over the top. The kids are lucky if they get to paint the cars...

Mike
I can't say I never helped the boys. Power tools were still a little out of their range. All they ever ended up with was a cut out block of wood.
I can only imagine what a three D CNC router could turn out.

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,846 ·
How is the noise level today? Hope all is going well and the silence is short lived.
Thanks for checking in. Called in again. Really got nasty overnight with the lung crud and coughing all night. No sleep. I think I got handled though--I hope.

·
Premium Member
14,895 Posts
@Jere39 HA! I feel you, I'm also guilty of throwing random stuff in this thread, but I guess that's the point?

I can't say I never helped the boys. Power tools were still a little out of their range. All they ever ended up with was a cut out block of wood.
I can only imagine what a three D CNC router could turn out.
There's "helping" and then there's Dad-designed and built, son played video games during the process... Can only imagine what can be done with 3D printing (hopefully not allowed).

Thanks for checking in. Called in again. Really got nasty overnight with the lung crud and coughing all night. No sleep. I think I got handled though--I hope.
Hang in there, Randy! Hope it's just allergies or something. My youngest is fighting that right now.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Was going to do one of those out door jobs today. When I got up this morning the Weather Channel had rain coming in 30 minutes. Never having done what needs to be accomplished. I put it off as it looked like rain. Well still no rain and the forecast is still 30 minutes away. With chances getting greater all the time.
One bright side for today is it overcast and the sun's not cooking us as bad. A/C is still running so it can't be that cool outside.

·
Premium Member
14,895 Posts
We have a bunch of rain parked just to the west of us, streaming down from north to south (usually that progresses west to east). We really need more rain, just not getting it...

Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,851 ·
I've heard there are large wild populations of them around the cities due to people freeing them. Our Indigo Buntings are here now. When we left earlier a Pileated woodpecker flew right in front of the car about 20ft from the windshield.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
After work, did the rear shocks on the truck today. New vs old:
View attachment 2555551

When I first got the truck, back in 2015, it needed a bunch of work (brake lines, figuring out why the engine wasn't working right), and as part of doing that, I cut out the original wood planks that were screwed down to the truck bed frame, and put in new ones that are clamped in place, so they can easily be removed/reinstalled. It makes working on the rear of the truck much easier, vs working only from below. In this case, it was really helpful, in that the upper shock mounts were squeezed together a bit too much for the new shocks. Adjusting the mounts and getting the bolt in was much easier from above than it would have been from below.
View attachment 2555552

Just a strip of metal across the top of the planks (I did cut a groove in the wood so it sits flush, it's a little proud now because the clamps were off). This pic also shows the mistake I made a couple of years ago. I installed a strip of E-track down the middle of the truck bed, but didn't really think about it, and installed it so the E-track straddled 2 boards, making it that much more difficult to wrestle those two boards in/out (as well as the screws being a little too long, so they stick out the bottom to catch on everything, including my hands). I finally removed it and will reinstall it so it's just installed on a single board
View attachment 2555553
And underneath, I made 3 of these to clamp to the frame of the truck bed:
View attachment 2555554
Slathering the bolts with anti-seize before reinstalling really helps with getting the nuts off later without breaking the carriage bolts.

Pet peeve: these small containers of anti-seize. The included brush is always too short to use all of it, and using a separate, longer brush works, but is a hassle to store...
View attachment 2555555
I used to think antiseeze was the answer to a lot of things , don't get me wrong I use my share of it . We have it at work so when the screw on the vice needs greese it gets antiseeze , jack screws , the dogs on the conex , but in some cases I question . For one tork specks are changed , when you put it on the lawn mower bolt that holds the blade on it gets stupid tight when you hit something . Lugs nuts a no go I would say . And copper antiseeze and coppershield are different , copper shield has a tread seal . Some of these are running jokes at work . I think maby rain won't wash off antiseeze as fast for out door say tractor level screw .

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,556 Posts
I used to think antiseeze was the answer to a lot of things , don't get me wrong I use my share of it . We have it at work so when the screw on the vice needs greese it gets antiseeze , jack screws , the dogs on the conex , but in some cases I question . For one tork specks are changed , when you put it on the lawn mower bolt that holds the blade on it gets stupid tight when you hit something . Lugs nuts a no go I would say . And copper antiseeze and coppershield are different , copper shield has a tread seal . Some of these are running jokes at work . I think maby rain won't wash off antiseeze as fast for out door say tractor level screw .
Oh, yeah, for lots of bolts, where torque is important, I don't use anit-seize and clean off oil from the nut/bolt prior to assembly. I mostly slather it on bolts exposed to the elements and that aren't safety-critical. I don't use it on a lot of stuff on my truck, more on equipment and things I make.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Went to the mason lodge last night . Got a little jacked up on tea and chocolate . Drinked a mountain dew today so I can bearly stand to be around my self . Any way ate with two old pipe fitters and they said they would dip there welding rods in oil to mitigate welding a pipe with water dripping out or shellac the rods for welding under water .

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,855 ·
Still sick as a dog. Went to the doc and he put me on antibiotics, prescription Sudafed, and Codeine cough syrup--the good stuff. Also put me off work the rest of the week. Said I have bronchitis and sound like pneumonia is imminent.

I just walked out on the porch. We have some big lizards hanging around on the porch. This one is 1" wide at the back and big as a mouse.
Plant Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Grass Groundcover

·
Premium Member
14,895 Posts
Bronchial pneumonia? Lovely...

I know it's hard, but pace yourself, and don't be afraid to take those meds!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23,857 ·
Bronchial pneumonia? Lovely...

I know it's hard, but pace yourself, and don't be afraid to take those meds!

Mike
It's pacing me. Can do squat right now. Exhausted. I've got some cough syrup right next to me. Gonna take it before bed and hopefully rest.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Oh, yeah, for lots of bolts, where torque is important, I don't use anit-seize and clean off oil from the nut/bolt prior to assembly. I mostly slather it on bolts exposed to the elements and that aren't safety-critical. I don't use it on a lot of stuff on my truck, more on equipment and things I make.
I consider the nuts that hold on mower blades critical. I have put WD on the shaft and nut to clear rust and to prevent rust but not to lubricate. Oil or grease would be a no no.

23841 - 23860 of 24998 Posts