My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I put the engine back together today after installing new valve seals , retorqued head bolts and adjusted valve lash .
it didn't stop the oil exhaust smoke as I had hoped but it did knock it down to a minimum . still burning a little oil but atleast it's not dripping out of the exhaust pipe anymore . I was worried about a runaway diesel condition.
my home made exhaust gaskets work awesome , glad I took the time to make them and save myself some hard to come by money . welp , it looks like I'm either gonna sell the tractor , do a crazy engine swap , or rebuild the k4c . im building a cabin and useing the tractor to grade the build spot , doing light logging and building some new roads on our property and I really need this tractor to accomplish all that. hopefully I will make it through these projects without me having to do any more major wrenching .
I love this tractor but parts are rare as hens teeth . I'm thankful and sad and hopeful all at the same time . sigh gonna start splitting up wood soon for the winter and I still have to replace the axle seal and bearing in our toyota truck ... lots to do ....
Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Gas Fastener

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
You may be burning residual oil out of the exhaust. It may ease up after running awhile.
well , I THOUGHT I burned most of it out with a torch when I had the manifold off and after lots of scraping the goo out . I had the head off a few months ago and discovered some scoring in one of the cylinders so I'm thinking the rings are worn .... but there is not a lot of blow by present so I'm just crossing my fingers . if it will just hold up a while till I get these projects done I will figure out what to do then . maybe a kubota engine swap... darn mitsus are hard to find parts for .

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was adjusting the brakes on my tractor today and the nut was rusted on the rod badly . sprayed it down with aerokroil and let it sit , still stuck . applied the heat wrench and gave it a twist and it broke the rod in half . what to do now .... so I spent most of the day repairing the brake rod . the threaded end that snapped off got a bolt welded on and that's as far as I got before the mosquitos came out to drink my blood . hope to get it finished tomorrow . no pics , I'm too tired .

·
Registered
399 Posts
got the axle out of my truck today , I'm changing a worn bearing and seals . anyone who's ever done one on a toyota with abs knows it's a pain , gotta press everything in and out with a special tool . it was heat index 100f today on top of it all , nice and sweaty and greasy awww yeah . I was back there working in the back and my dog starts going crazy Loco barking and I walk up front and see what's going on and when I turned the corner I heard the distinctive buzzing noise . he was barking at the ground and I knew immediately what it was , ran and grabbed my shovel and whacked it real good . dog was less than a foot away and almost got bit . stupid dog , I love him and I'd hate to see him get bit by a rattler . what a day ... I'm about to have a meeting with mr.jack danials in the a.c whewwwww.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Engineering Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting Tire
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Road surface Automotive exterior

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks. It was peaceful. I like the loader idea to dump straight back over your head to cool off.

It was pretty hot but easy to cool off in the shade. If the claustrophobia refers to sitting inside the boat the single one lets you sit on top of it. If it's about being surrounded by water then sorry.

Wife loved the single kayak. Such a great value at $94. I was fine single paddling the 2 person. I did have to put my life vest between my back and the seatback to let me relax. The factory seatback is too low and I bent backwards midback when trying to relax.

I was warning the wife to stay away from overhanging limbs as we were going into a cove. 2 minutes later I spotted this nice cottonmouth hanging out.

View attachment 2517359 View attachment 2517360 View attachment 2517361 View attachment 2517362
we were fishing near a embankment once in a flatbottom boat and a cottonmouth swam up and boarded the boat with us in it , after a lot of commotion and paddle wacking we got it but they are brazen for sure .

·
Registered
399 Posts
today we tilled in the garden beds for the fall with the new tiller , getting ready to plant garlic and onions for the winter crop , turnip greens were planted last week and they are already coming in nicely . we also went to co-op and bought 6 cattle panels so I can start the mini greenhouse build project next week . played with the dogs a bit . wife made hickory smoked ribs over our outdoor fire pit with leftover hickory bits that were from processing this years stove wood. corn and fire baked potatoes on the side . drinking whiskey sours tonight with fresh squeezed limeade tonight . tired but it was a great day with my lovely wife on the homestead .
Plant Tire Wheel Tree Automotive tire

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing your greenhouse project! I built myself a small 8' x 12' plastic film greenhouse about 35 years ago. I had it for 5 years and had a lot of fun with it. When I was done with it, the neighboring farmer came and got it for his kids to experiment with. As far as I know, they are still using it as they replaced the plastic film with corrogated fiberglass panels.

After several months of unsuccessful bidding in firearms auctions, today I won a 12 ga. pump shotgun and a 16 ga. single shot break open shotgun and at reasonable prices. Now I want to keep my eyes open for a .410 to round out the collection. My plan is to have all the common gauges in case the time comes when the manure hits the fan, I'll be able to shoot what ever gauge ammo I can buy, barter, beg or steal. And I'm also looking for a 30-06 bolt action rifle, which I might get new instead of used at auction. I am still amazed at the prices of used firearms and ammo. I saw a used but nice S&W .22 WMR revolver sell for $750, and well used 12 ga. pump shotguns selling for well over $300. It's nuts what most of the stuff is selling for.
how did you do the arch ribs on yours joe ? we are useing cattle panels bowed and gonna wire them to T posts then cover it with plastic. but I'm always open to suggestions . I built out our chicken coop the same way but used rebar stakes instead of t-post and I'm pleased with it . I'm glad I got my guns years ago . no way I'd pay current prices . it is crazy .

·
Registered
399 Posts
Man, that sounds like a great day, and a great dinner. That tiller looks like it means business! What kind is it?
it's a beast , made by mtd . 7hp kohler fwd/reverse tine . picked it up this weekend for 400 bones. I think it was a great deal . it's a 2014 model but it's like brand new . I think it sat in the garage most of it's life .

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had a book of greenhouse plans published by Ortho, and loosely followed one I liked. I got the book at either Home Depot or Lowe's, I don't remember. It's a paper back and was less than $20 at the time. I just now searched for it online and came up with this: Greenhouses (Ortho library): Ortho Books Staff: 9780897212298: Amazon.com: Books This book has several plans and methods for building greenhouses from little to quite large for the homeowner. I liked the one I used because material costs were minimal and it resulted in a building that I could use a scavenged storm door for the entrance and had enogh height inside to be comfortable to work in. One winter it had over 1/2" of solid ice on the outside with no structural problems. I don't know if today's 1/4" plywood is as good as what I used 35+ years ago. The arches were made from 4" wide x 8 foot long strips of 1/4" plywood. The strips were doubled resulting in a 1/2" thick piece of wood. These were NOT glued together until after the outer strip was attached to the fabricated ridge boards and then the base, and then the inner strip was installed with a liberal amount of glue and clamped to the outer strip. It's hard to explain it with words and I have no photos. I remember I used every single clamp in my inventory and needed more so resorted to using pliers with rubber bands on the handles and even some clothes pins. I can't even scan the book as my printer/scanner crapped out on me for some unknown reason. As I recall, it took 2 full sheets of 1/4" plywood ripped down and I ended up with a few extra strips at first, but I broke a few while bending them and was happy to have the extras. I used a UV resistant 6 mil film that gave me 3 good years of use before needing replacement. When I saw the farmer had used corrogated fiberglass panels to replace the film, I did a head slap and thought "Why didn't I think of that??!!"

You know what? In the back of my mind, I knew these existed, but I had forgotten about them until you reminded me. I'll look into getting one to shoot 28 gauge as that size shotgun seems to be ultra rare and expensive but the shells are more affordable and available than others for some reason. I have other 12 ga. guns, but I wanted a "utility" gun that could live a rougher life than I really wanted to subject my other guns to. One that a small spot of rust, an extra scratch in the metal or gouge in the stock wouldn't make me cry. The 12 ga I got is an old Stevens pump action that is actually in pretty nice condition and cost me $190, and I probably will cry a little if I mess it up, the 16 ga. is an old H&R break open that is well suited to hanging on a nail in a shed, but it only cost me $45. The Winchester model 12 pump gun in 16 ga that I was looking at, went for a lot more than my $230 bid and wasn't as nice as the Stevens I got. I really liked the S&W model 48 revolver in .22 magnum, but no way could I justify the $750 price it sold for. I could have picked up a couple of rusty short barrel plain Jane .32 cal. revolvers for under $100 each, but I'm not interested in small caliber handguns that are very hard to get ammo for and have very limited use. In my hands, a 3" barrel handgun with rudimentary fixed sights would be good out to about 8 feet. I have other handguns better suited for that.
ah , thanks for the info . I only spent 178 including tax on the cattle panels and already had the t-post and wire . plastic is cheap enough . I don't think I could build anything out of wood cheaper than that nowdays but I might look into covering it with corrugated poly plastic panels ( kind of a new thing they have now vs. the old fiberglass kinds . I will post pics up of it when it's done .

·
Registered
399 Posts
That thing does look powerful....nice find...good buy ...have fun with it 👍
its got plenty of power , during my tilling today it unearthed a rock about the size of two softballs put together and it just snorted and kicked it out from the tines . it does not have a wide enough wheel base for some of our hilly property though and has a tendency to want to roll over . I gotta figure out a way to widen the wheelbase or extend the axle out . a little more difficult than adding spacers since it doesn't have lug nut/bolt rims . it uses solid axles with a through bolt in the rim to hold it together . was thinking about welding extended sleeves onto the rims that I could just bolt on . not sure yet though. this is my first tiller , it sure beats doing it with a pick axe and a hoe . got it mainly to cultivate the orchard since it's on a grade and I'm scared to get the tractor up in there and risk a rollover situation.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I tore down the Honda gc160 today on one of my generators . I had no compression and it wouldn't run found a exhaust valve very tight in the guide , almost unmoveable . and a scored cylinder wall and piston . not good news . considering you can get a new gc for around 250 I don't think it's worth fixing time and money wise. the gen head was still working when it died but considering it has hundreds maybe thousands of hours on it I don't know if I'll proceed at all . the gc series are crappy engines with plastic cams , aluminum bores and rods . just not worth it . oh well .

·
Registered
399 Posts
Today, I drove down south of Allentown, PA to the auction house to pick up my 2 shotguns I had recently purchased. This place is about half the distance I usually drive to the other auction house I buy a lot of stuff from, which was nice today. I had to make an appointment in advance because of Covid protocols, but no mask required, thank goodness. I got there on time and was greeted by name and with a smile by a nice young lady and filled out the paperwork. Then she made the call in for the back ground check and in 10 minutes, I was good to go. I was a bit surprised at the condition of both guns. Obviously they were both used, but they were both in BETTER condition than was described by the auctioneer's online description. The 12 ga. pump has a small amount of the bluing worn off from being carried while hunting, but no real scratches in the metal or wood on a 60 plus year old gun. The 16 ga break open shows handling and wear marks, but I expected worse since I got it at $45 while competing on site bidders that can better see the guns. The 12 ga looks so nice that I'm hesitating in using it as planned as my utility gun that will be tossed around and probably stored in less than ideal conditions in order to be handy when needed. But I don't need another gun taking up space in the safe because it is too nice to use......................too nice to use.............. I'm just realizing I am doing what my grandmother did and indoctrinated us with (with the violence of a wooden spoon!). 😢 I've mentioned this before. We could not use and had to save the good towels, bed linens, and blankets for some unknown future time that never came. My brother and I grew up with badly worn blankets on the beds and worn out towels while the new good ones sat in a cedar chest waiting for I don't know what. And when it came time to clean out my mom's house, most of those "saved" things crumpled to dust from being tightly folded up for 40-50-60 or even 70 years. These 2 guns will be used! 😁
what no pics ?! I agree , things are ment to be used . what is this a museum? use em !

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here are pics of the 2 shotguns I got today. These are the auctioneer's photos as I don't have a smart phone to take pictures with. I broke my 10 year old flip phone several months ago, and I even bought a new phone, but I haven't activated it. It has been liberating to not have the phone these past months, but my wife is nagging me to get the phone activated and join the 21st century. View attachment 2522483 View attachment 2522484
I love those old wood pump 12 gauges , is it a remmi ? something about the wood pump has some nostalgia appeal that modern plastic guns don't have . and as a young boy I took many doves and squirrel with a single break 16g . ... gotta be a good shot though . you did real good .(y)

1 - 20 of 190 Posts