My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few outdoor cooking vessels:fing32: I got bit by the BBQ bug a few years ago, and it's about as strong as my tractor bug.

The first is my JennAir natural gas grill, with rotisserie burner, rotisserie, and side burner. I've had it for 4 years and it's been a great grill, even though the Jenn Air portion of the grill is in name only as it's manufactured by Nexgrill. I use this when I don't feel like lighting some lump charcoal, when I need additional cooking space for sides, and specifically for searing tuna on the cast iron griddle.

The next is my Big Green Egg. An awesome smoker, grill and oven. It holds temps rock steady for hours on end (I've had it going over 24 hours on a single load of lump), plus it can easily get to over 700* for searing. My favorite smokes are Boston Butts and Chuck Roasts for pulled pork & beef.

15# of boston butt

My last is a project I obsessed about 2 years ago and built over a 3 month period, a wood fired oven for pizza and bread.

How about some photos?:thThumbsU

·
Administrator
21,249 Posts
Can you really tell the difference of the flavor of food cooked in your brick oven? Does it do an even job?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you really tell the difference of the flavor of food cooked in your brick oven? Does it do an even job?
Yes, I can tell the difference between food cooked in my home oven compared to the brick oven. It's not like smoking though, since the temps are so high, everything is burned off, so no smoke flavor. For pizza, its about the type of flour (Caputo 00). It is specifically made for high heat pizza, where all purpose would likely burn before it's fully cooked. You can't cook a pizza in your home oven comparable to what comes out of a wood fired oven, although it is a specific style of pizza. For bread, I can bake 6-8 loaves at a time with residual heat from the previous days pizza, so it's very efficient. It does a very even job. I put about 5 dozen jalapenos from my garden in the oven to char. Took about 2 minutes, and the skins were evenly charred the whole way around. Peeled easily and taste fantastic. It would have taken me and hour or 2 to do the same on my grill or BGE.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,346 Posts
So, what time is the MTF cookout/pizza party at your house???????

·
-
1,829 Posts
Weber Genesis gas grill for grillin'

Home made smoker made out of two 55 gallon drums for real BBQ.

Been wanting to build a wood fired pizza/bread oven.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
i love that big green egg. Nothing beats smoked pulled pork. Does it keep a steady low temp?

·
-
1,829 Posts
i love that big green egg. Nothing beats smoked pulled pork. Does it keep a steady low temp?
You should watch PitMasters on Discovery. The gal who competes on there uses them with good results.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well no pics but I have a Napolean grill with infrared burner and a Brinkman propane fired smoker. Since there is only two of us now, don't need the big stuff any more.

Pigbear, I do love the outdoor brick oven! Absolutely fantastic!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Incredibly steady. I've had it going over 24 hours at 230-250* on a single load of lump charcoal. I switched from Cowboy lump (only lump available locally) to Humphreys (mail ordered) at the beginning of summer and haven't gone through 20# yet.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
How does that lump charcoal work out compared to the usual briquettes?
I have never tried them and hate to buy a bag and it not work out.

·
-
1,829 Posts
The lump creates less ash and burns hotter/cleaner. Also seems to get up to temp much quicker - less waiting.

When I've used regular briquettes the bottom of my smoker is full of ash. No or little ash from the lump charcoal.

I prefer it when I use charcoal. Mostly I'm a stick burner but I use charcoal sometimes to supplement wood if I'm going to be away from the smoker for a bit.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
I have the typical gas grill, charcoal grill, smoker, etc. But I cook at least once a week over this pit and I make pulled pork, beef, chicken just as well as my smoker. I built this pit about 6 years ago. Leg of lamb on it in the pic.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I got a Weber charcoal 22 inch performer grill, I think I will get a bag of the lump coal:trink39:
I get so tired of all the ash to clean out the next day:banghead3

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
This was too. Turkey and a pork roast.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts