My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about thinning the herd so to speak a bit, my last count turned up 14 large garden tractors, with only two being really used.

I have a Bolens 1250 with a loader that I bought to get some other attachments, the tractor, loader, and weight box have sat in the corner ever since. It was being used when the old guy that had it died, but it's sat now for 5 or more years.

I've got a JD 112, 1971 I believe, that ran fine, has a deck on it and a ton of new parts, there's a new hood, 4 new turf tires, and what appears to be either a new or rebuilt transaxle. I had it running when I first got it but haven't messed with it in years, I just don't have the time. It's in pieces on a welding bench in the garage outback and I need the welding table now.
I gave $250 for it, bought the tires, hood, and decals online, and painted the rear fender pan. Assembled it would look almost new again. I don't have grass to cut so I really don't need it. If I got my money out of it, I'd let it go. I have about $600 in it.

I've got a 1977 Wheel Horse B-80, it needs tie rods and a better seat, I took it in trade on something I sold, it's got a newer 14hp Kohler in it, I was told that the motor was bought new and never used, but I've never touched it, I had it fired up when I first got it, but it just sits. It has a deck on it and was being used to cut grass when one of the tie rods came apart.
I have no idea what to ask for it.

I've also got a 1977 Jacobsen GT16 that looks bad but did run fine, I just never had a use for it, again, it's got a deck with it, it's never been on it since I've got it, and a few spare pieces with it. The hood is rusty, the foot rests are rusty, and the rock shaft at the rear is worn. The last owner used it to pull a tiller and nothing else for years. I bought it from his wife when he died with plans to use the motor in something else. The tiller was gone by the time I got the machine.

My dilemma is whether these can be sold as is or am I going to have to part them out on eBay to get a fair price. I had one guy try to tell me the Bolens is worth only $300 or so, but I know the Johnson FEL is worth at least double that. I would venture to guess that is someone spent a day on the carb and did some basic maintenance it would fire right up. The fuel in the tank smells old.

The JD, the Bolens, and Jake are taking up room and the two Simplicity machines I use all the time sit outside in the weather, plus I'm contemplating a move soon so I need to lighten the load a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
You are right the Johnson Loader is worth more than $300 easily. Especially mounted on a tractor. I cannot speak for the others but you could probably get $600 for the 112 if it was assembled again. You didn't mention if it was a Kohler or Tecumseh engine and if it had any other options. Lift assist springs, hydraulic lift and headlights add to the value. As a pile of parts I doubt you can get $600 for it but you never know :fing32: You might make more parting it out if you don't want to reassemble it. Kind of like a project car it might be worth big money all together but as a bunch of parts not so much. Good luck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The JD is manual lift with no headlights but looks like an almost new machine.
If I part it out, I'd save the tires for future use, save the wheel weights, and save the engine for another machine. Its together right now other than the front wheels, which need to be repainted and have the tires mounted, and the seat pan is off, along with some parking brake linkage. The rest is all still complete, there is a new hood in a box, and the decal kits are still sealed in their packages.
I'd eBay the parts but with eBay's fees these days I'd loose more than 1/4 of the value to fees.

I'd let the Bolens 1250 with the loader and weight box go for $1500, plus a spare fuel tank and carb I have for it from a running machine.
If I take the time to fix it, I'll have far too much in it counting my labor.
I had bought it from a local guy here that also had it sitting for a few years with intent to get it going again but lost interest. I have two new machines and no spare time lately to fool with older equipment, and less and less space to work here. I called the guy who offered me $300 to see if he'd do any better and he went on about how the 1250 was junk and that I'd be glad to get someone to take it for any amount. The same guy offered me $50 for the JD 112 and $50 for the Wheel Horse. The same guy had a flat bed trailer in tow with a 1250 Bolens on the back minus the engine and hydraulic pump, when I asked him what he wanted for that one he said $1200 firm because it was so clean. Mine isn't like new but complete and if gotten up and running again most likely all is fine. It wasn't parked due to a mechanical fault, it was parked due to the owner passing.

The others are in as found condition, the Jake may even run with just fresh fuel and a battery, I haven't tried. The Wheel Horse was being used this summer by a neighbor when the tie rod came apart. He saw the cost of new tie rods and traded me for a push mower. The motor was installed by a relative of his who works at a small engine shop, no clue as to why they put a bigger motor in it, but it's huge compared to the original motor.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I'd say you're not out of the ballpark for the Johnson loader and 1250. Although the buyer will have no way to verify the loader works since the tractor isn't running but even so the loader could be adapted to something else.

I know how you feel about the 112. I have a couple of machines like that. If I take the time to fix them so I can sell them I'd have to ask more than I know they are worth. I'd just put it back to being a roller even not repainted and see what you can get like that. Good luck :fing32:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say you're not out of the ballpark for the Johnson loader and 1250. Although the buyer will have no way to verify the loader works since the tractor isn't running but even so the loader could be adapted to something else.

I know how you feel about the 112. I have a couple of machines like that. If I take the time to fix them so I can sell them I'd have to ask more than I know they are worth. I'd just put it back to being a roller even not repainted and see what you can get like that. Good luck :fing32:
On the JD, the tires alone cost me $300. I had no choice but to replace them, the originals were rotted off the rims. I did run it for a while pumping up the tires every few hours but they finally just gave out.
The wheels were sand blasted and repainted, the hood is new in the box, that cost me $175, the original works but the leading edge is chipped up.
The decal kit was so I could have the hood decals, I got lucky and found a full set at a dealer for original prices, around $100 or so. The trans was rebuilt when I got it, the last owner said one axle went bad and for the cost of new axles he was able to buy a factory rebuilt trans or something for it. I'm not sure if it's rebuilt or just new. I didn't see any bolt marks anywhere on it before I installed it.
I just ran out of spare time to fool with it. I've been rebuilding a couple of boats and that takes most of my time.
As far as the Bolens, I need a bigger machine, I have another 1250, with a loader that's in about the same condition as the one for sale but it's just not big enough when it comes to garden work. I plant about 2 acres every year and it takes too much time to plow up the field with the Bolens, and even if speed wasn't an issue, it needs bigger tires to be efficient. I've been looking for a good small farm tractor, or at the very least as Power King with the 24" tires and twin transmissions.
I have a full array of cat 0 attachments so it does make sense to stick with a smaller tractor for that reason. I just need ground clearance and more traction. My original plan was to make both 1250's identical and put a buddy on the second machine but all attempts at that so far just ended up with broken equipment. I can't see fixing up a nice machine just for someone to tear it up overworking it.

The Jake looks like it could be a decent machine but I've never run it, and again, it's got small rear wheels.
If I had more room, I'd keep them all, I hate selling anything, I know I'll regret letting any of it go down the road.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So, you have a Bolens 1250 that hasn't run in 5 years, a JD 112 that's "in pieces on a welding bench", a Wheel Horse that hasn't been started since...? And a Jacobsen that did run.

As a buyer, I don't know what to expect. I could need to clean the carbs and put in new plugs, or I could need new engines. In any case, I need to work on them or pay someone else to in order to get a working machine.

I might go $500 for the Bolens with a loader, if I wanted a loader. I personally couldn't give that much for the rest of them without hearing them run.

If they just need minor work like your post suggests, then I'd say getting them running would definitely bring more money. Otherwise, the only real options are to sell them as is for whatever they'll bring, or invest your time and labor to part them out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got standing offers from two others on the loader for $800.
I'd rather sell the whole machine. An S12D with good compression has got to be worth something alone, plus the rest of the parts. The front tires are new, they were new when I brought it here as the originals were dryrotted. I put brand new 8 ply front tires on it which I paid $120 for.

The Wheel Horse runs, it was being used a month ago. Put a battery and gas in it and it fires right up. I'm not giving away a new $50 battery with a $350 machine though so it don't come with a battery and the tie rods are held in place with nylon zip ties. It needs to $40 tie rods, and a new seat if you don't like the one on it which I believe is off a forklift.

I have a guy coming down tomorrow to look at the WH, he's interested in the engine.
The WH and JD are the least useable to me since they don't have 3 point hitch capability, their both belt driven and to me only good for mowing or pulling a wagon around. I've gotten a few emails on the Jake but none have been serious, other than an offer of $50 for the hood, and $150 for the 16hp Kohler motor if it's not seized.

I had the JD running on carb cleaner, after a few seconds it ran on its own on the gas in the tank, the motor sounds fine on that and don't smoke. I have a another guy coming that may want the hood and another who wants the transaxle for his 112. I think if I part it out, the tires will go on one of my Simplicity tractors, and so will the wheel weights.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy came today to look at the WH either for it's engine or as a whole machine, apparently the 14hp that fits a WH won't work on a JD? He did however buy the whole JD 112 minus the rear wheels and front tires. I let it go for $400, I kept the new tires and wheel weights.

He did look at the Bolens but I think he was interested in the putting the loader on the JD, but it's way too big for the JD. He did pull the belt off the hydraulic pump and spin up the pump with a drill and made sure the loader went up and down, which it did just fine, he did say one line fitting looks wet but it's not dripping. I was able to stand in the bucket and it lifted my 350lbs with no problem and it was able to tilt and dump the bucket as well.

He couldn't figure out how to mount the loader and still have a deck on the JD 112, and the rear uprights on the Bolens are WAY wider than the JD floor boards. Did Johnson make different width loaders for each make tractor?
The loader is labeled Johnson Workhorse, and it was originally painted gold but has since been painted red to match the seat cover I guess. There is no other red on the machine. We couldn't find any other info on it other than fluid capacity and type. The controls are on the left side, which to me seems odd.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess I'm a little late on the JD, but I would never sell my 112 for $400. I bought mine as a basket case with a ton of new parts, including a work table they were piled on for $750, about a weeks worth of work later and I figure the only way I'd part with it is if someone covered my time and labor.

I've also got a Bolens 1250, I wouldn't let mine got for under $2500 with the loader, I've turned down $1650 in the past. Mine is far from mint but it's complete and runs. I have a loader, snow plow, deck, and other various Brinly attachements for mine, all of which came with it. When I bought mine several years ago, it was sitting in barn, unused for 10 or more years. It fired right up with some new gas and fresh battery. I had to put tires on it right away. I paid $1600 for the tractor, loader, and the lot of attachments, plus had to haul it 700 miles home. I bought a second machine for parts, also with a loader, I kept the bucket, and several key parts including the engine, and hydro unit, and sold the rest off in pieces, I got over $800 from the rest of the machine.

With that in mind, yours, if complete, has got to be worth upwards of $1500, more if you have and include any original attachments. Namely a deck, which seems to be what most people are looking for.

I've seen several sell locally at dealers that deal in used machines for over $2,000, one was listed at $3100, but I have no idea what it actually sold for. Chances are they took another machine in trade, which no doubt also brought a profit when sold.

The Wheel Horse is a tough one, as with many models, they have a following. Get the right buyer and it's worth $400, otherwise, it's a $200-250 parts machine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's a rust free 48" deck for a 1968 1250 worth? Its in good shape but feels stiff. My guess is either the grease dried out or it needs bearings.
I don't use mine to cut grass so I'd take any fair offer on the deck.
I wouldn't use any deck this old without first going through the gear box and bearings. The P/N is an 18048-01 on the label. The deck is green.

My goal here is to free of some garage space, right now I've got bits and pieces of machines all over and no room to pull another one in the door to work on it.

Something else I'd consider is to swap the Bolens for a Powerking with large rear wheels. I need something to plow and cultivate a large garden far more than I need another loader machine. My goal would be to either trade this for or sell this for cash to buy a small farm tractor or something better suited to plowing a field.

In all, for the Bolens I have a snow plow, the 48" deck, rear weight box, and the FEL that would all be on the table for a trade if I found something decent, otherwise I'll hold out for a fair price or keep it. I would sell the deck by itself but the other attachments would be traded with the machine or sold together if the price was right.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think until I find something better to do my gardening with, I have to keep the Bolens and fix it up.
Since I sold the others, the Bolens isn't as big of a priority now.
I'd swap it for a good small farm tractor that can handle a couple of acres though if I found any takers. I don't really need another loader.
Since I have a full array of Cat 0 attachments here it may also make sense to stick with a machine that can pull the attachments I have.
I just need something with more 'pull' or better traction. The Bolens is a good yard work machine, but it comes in second in my opinion when it comes to trying to work a larger piece of ground. I plan to do up to 4 acres next year, so the Bolens will be a bit over matched I suppose but for now it's what I have.
I'd probably say its worth somewhere in the $1500 to $2000 range as it sits judging by where others have sold. That would be with the deck, loader, bucket, and weight box. When it comes to a loader, it's a good machine for light work but not for big jobs, which I guess is why it just sat for so long here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts