My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still pretty new to Gravelys and confused by the different series. This really shows up when I am interested in a part or accessory and wonder if one from an 8000 series will fit my G. Most cases seems to. Is there a cheat sheet to understand the different series.

·
Registered
573 Posts
yes I agree. VERY FEW (Like NONE) Gravelys in my area, so I have to depend on the friends on this site for any info I need. I would like to understand all the numbers and what they mean.

Can we do the same with the 2 wheel Gravelys? I understand the L,LI,LS, and L8, but the numbered ones are confuesing, having never seen one or know of one within 100 miles of my home.

I really want to THANK EVERYONE for the help and info you have provided to help me with my projects.

Projects: Gravely 810 with 40" mower (used daily) and my L that I converted to an L8 with the help I got from my friends on this site.

THANK YOU AGAIN

BUD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! That is by far the best reference I've seen and the description of the different models on page 3 and 4 is exactly what I was looking for.
I am on 3 different user groups (motorcycles amongst them) and this is by far the best run, best attended. most helpful, and congenial of any of them.

I find myself just stopping in to see what folks are talking about.

Thank you all!
Charlie

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
No, Charlie, thank you for choosing to sign up here and stick around.

We are here to help and love to chat about our beloved tractors.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Very interesting reading. I have overlooked that one. It even mentions 5665 and Pro-12 walkbehinds with 6-lead transmissions. I did not know they were factory offered. It also mentons the limited slip differential on the early 800 series. I want to own one some day.
One thing not mentioned is the fact that some 5000s and Pros were 2-speed with locking diffs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest news on my Pro 16G...
Runs great then seems to cough and want to die. I replace the metal fuel filter (which made noise when I shook it... which worried me) with a clear one so I could watch fuel flow. I am pretty sure the the float is hanging up. I can't get the bowl off without pulling the carb so ordered a rebuild kit before taking it off.

Pulled the trans oil check plug and apparently the last guy way overfilled it. Dribbled out at least a pint and a half of excess. I really should drain and fill it right, but time and temperature have limited my messing with it.

The 50" deck is still making more noise than I want though the system can be easily turned by hand. I have to get up the nerve to pull the spindles apart and see what it will take to rebuild them.

Other than that... adjusted the clutches, brake, and want to take a closer look at the hydro lift. Still seems too slow to build up a head of steam to lift the deck. May just be the fluid level, but haven't yet gotten into where the reservoir is (I think the filter is the reservoir, but need to read up).

I am enjoying learning about this amazing machine. I need to get around to posting some pictures, but it is still a little rough and color mismatched by the previous owner.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Spindles are relatively easy, standard Timken bearings available at any auto parts store. If it's like my 16G, it will have steel seals that do not need replacing. Pulleys should come off easily, soak with penetrating oil prior to disassembly and use a puller if necessary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took a look at the PDF link and it looks great. I wanted to know if the front pto attachments for a 800/8000 series would fit a 432. If there is a modification needed what is it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't know if any one can answer this question but, I was reading this thread and downloaded the Oldgravely's Customer Service Update and I was reading that the Commercial 12 was made until 1972. I just bought one to restore this year and the S/N is 114267. that puts it at 1974. Also, in 1974 I bought a brand new Commercial 10A and a Commercial 12 for my business. Did they make a mistake or, did they make serveral and didn't sell them until 1974 and called them 1974's even though they were manufactured in 1972?

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that too. I was under the impression Commercials were rebaged 500 series in 1975-1976 and after that some changes occurred and they became 5000's. That manual is definitely wrong on those numbers.
I've just bought a Bobcat T200 track loader used. The owner had it as a 2005. I went to buy parts for it and the parts book showed them making the T200 up until 2003. I told the dealership that I may have been taken. The dealer said I didn't. They made several that last year before upgrading that loader to a be a little bit different for the 1974 year. They continued selling the through 1975 and called them 1975's when they sold them in 1975. Maybe Gravely did the same?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
I don't know if any one can answer this question but, I was reading this thread and downloaded the Oldgravely's Customer Service Update and I was reading that the Commercial 12 was made until 1972. I just bought one to restore this year and the S/N is 114267. that puts it at 1974. Also, in 1974 I bought a brand new Commercial 10A and a Commercial 12 for my business. Did they make a mistake or, did they make serveral and didn't sell them until 1974 and called them 1974's even though they were manufactured in 1972?
Comm 12s were made till 1975. 566 came in 1976.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
You will find that Ariens made a lot of mistakes when the published that. I have both a 74 and 75 comm 12. Maybe somebody was bootlegging Commercial Gravelys for 3 years.
I had a 1976 566 too so I know that to be true also. It was possible to buy Comm 12s after 1975 but they were leftovers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts