My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I was at one of the big yearly tractor shows in Orange, MA and I saw a nice looking Bolens Husky, it was definitely a large frame, My guess would have been 1250, 1476, or something similar. It was REALLY nice, but it didn't have a price on it. It was obviously a fixer-upper, but nothing major. What price do the large frame single cylinders run? I'm thinking about buying one once I get the space and the money. I'm really getting hooked on these older Bolens, I think even Gravely couldn't touch Bolens back in the day.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Hey guys,
I was at one of the big yearly tractor shows in Orange, MA and I saw a nice looking Bolens Husky, it was definitely a large frame, My guess would have been 1250, 1476, or something similar. It was REALLY nice, but it didn't have a price on it. It was obviously a fixer-upper, but nothing major. What price do the large frame single cylinders run? I'm thinking about buying one once I get the space and the money. I'm really getting hooked on these older Bolens, I think even Gravely couldn't touch Bolens back in the day.
I have seen the 1250, 1455, 1476&77 sell from anywhere between 100 - 1000 or more ... that is for the single cylinder Wisconsin model large frames .. the newer ones with kohler twins .. often go for more then the 1000 .. depending on condition and attachments included

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have bought two. The first was a 1476 that was a serious fixer-upper, with bad sheet metal that had been bent, cut, rusted and drilled for wierd "repairs" over the years, the motor was very tired, axles worn out from having a loader on it (which I didn't get with it), rusted out back rims from being filled with water, etc. For this gem, I paid $150, and drove 2 hours each way to get it.

I learned a lot by taking that one apart, and eventually determined that it would be nothing more than a part tractor, or maybe someday a puller.

My second one is a 1455, and is in much better condition mechanically, but is worn cosmetically, and will be torn down completely for a ground-up restoration. It came with a 3-pt hitch and a Gannon Earthcavator scraper, and I paid $250 for it.

In between, I have shopped parts from people that have torn down perfectly good tractors to sell them in pieces, which results in a LOT more money than teh tractor would bring. I bought some sheet metal from a guy that parted out an 1886 with power steering. I missed out on that, but got some other pieces, including the dash tower and dual-valve hydraulic controls for $75. These are going on my 1455. I could have bought the entire rolling chassis of the 1886, without engine or power steering, but everything else intact for $200. At the time, I thought I was going to rebuild the 1476, and didn't want the whole thing, as I am pressed for space. In hindsight, I wish I had bought it. That would have been the basis to work from to build up a rockin' tractor, with a big V-twin re-power, etc.

Last month, I saw an ad for a large frame with loader, tiller, mower deck and snowblower (or was it a blade?) for $2200

They are all over the board, but the later model twins are all selling near the high end, and the 1250, 1455, 1476 popping up for a few hundred dollars now and then. The more accessories you get with them, the higher they go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts