My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now with only 2 hours on it I can say that I have absolutely no complaints but after many more hours digesting the forum I find two things my 2007 x748 w/ 54" MMM does not have that newer x748 have.

1st is the deck cleaning water fitting. From what I have read this is not something I really want or need so this is fine with me.

2nd is Hydraulic Full Time 4-Wheel Drive (HFWD). The 2007 has a 2WD/4WD lever on the fender near the 12V power/tool storage. I've mowed the yard and field once with it in dry conditions but 2WD far exceeded the capabilities of anything I previous had. Even backing up an off angle slight hill was no problem. I figure if I'm towing some logs or snow blowing the driveway 4WD will be engaged. If not it will be 2WD. HFWD might be nice but is probably not needed.

One thing I wonder about is the front end drive system on the HFWD much better / different than the shaft drive on my 2007 model?

Does anyone know of any other things that have change since the 2007 model that I may come across in the future?

Thanks in advance for your info.:thanku:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
The front rear end isn't tons different.. It's the same basic casting but it's been revised to house a pair of hydraulic axial pumps rather than have a ring and pinion in the center section.

Like you've already seen, even in 2WD these machines are very capable, 4WD is really only going to be needed for mud and snow or maybe a wet grassy hill. You can't go wrong with either setup in my opinion!

Welcome aboard!

For those that are visually inclined:

MFWD Front Axle

HFWD Front Axle

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you don't think I should set it out at the curb?

Just kidding (obviously).

Anything else you know about differences between 2007s and later?

Thanks!

·
6,553 Posts
I can't recall without looking it up, but I don't think the 07's can use the 7-Iron deck the 09+ can. That's about it.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I think Brett hit it on the head.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!

I'm still floating very high with the purchase (my wife is at a some what lower elevation). A coworker highly recommended a weather cab to go with the snow blower so I'm thinking two things.

1 - my credit card better be ready for my visit to the local dealer

2 - I'm a dead man when she (wife) figures out what this all (snow blower, weights, cab, ...) all adds up to.

I try to be good but ...

·
6,553 Posts
Here's what it would look like with a cab and a plow and a few other custom items :)

Soft cab is made for John Deere by Original Tractor Cab Company. Deere also has two Hard cabs, one with soft doors and one with hard doors.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,653 Posts
Congrats on your "new" machine. Where'd you find an '07 with only 2 hrs on the clock?

You will never miss what the newer ones have to offer. My '08 is the same as yours, except for the 7 Iron capability. JD changed the lift arm bracket on the '08 and up, which allows more clearance for the deck, and allows it to lift higher. Not something you can retrofit, it's welded on.

The hydraulic front drive has been around on the 4WS/4WD machines for a while (X729/749). My guess is that JD changed all the X7's to that system because it means one less variation on the assembly line, and less assembly inventory. According to most reports, it is more forgiving of turf when making tight turns, so it does have end-user advantages. I'm perfectly happy with my MFWD, though, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Come wintertime, you'll really see how this machine can move.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
451 Posts
"So you don't think I should set it out at the curb?"

Don't be too hasty...maybe you should leave it at the curb. Now...if i could get an approximate address I would HAPPILY wander the area looking for it and take it off your hands...LOL!

You have a great machine and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Great find!! There isn't a whole lot that machine cannot handle... ENJOY!!

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
The 2006 year X700 series cannot take a 60inch 7Iron deck But 2007 and after can. One of the reason they went with the Hydraulic system over the Shaft system was a Better transfer of Power in the AWD over the shaft system 4WD and they wanted to have a tighter Turn radius in 4WD. I was a little leary of the AWD system at first until I found out it Has a better transfer of Power to the front than the shaft does Deere has had less problem with the new system over the traditional system in test's they have conducted at there test facility:thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:congrats::congrats: and enjoy it. Thats a great tractor at a great price. You might consider upgrading the seat to the SE seat and make sure you grease that top u-joint at the rear of the tractor. slkpk

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
KHodges - thanks for the info!

Here is the link to the ebay auction I bought this x748 from. When I picked it up it had 0.4 hours on it and the extra 0.1 was written off as driving from one garage to another.

So lucky...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190434379522&ssPageName=ADME:L:PMR:US:1123
WOW!! That was a serious score.

These guys mentioned the major differences.

A minor one: JD (Tuff Torq, actually) recently made a change to the TT-K92 hydrostatic transaxle, sometime in the middle of June of 2010. Not too important for you, except it affects the rear-PTO. I only mention this, because you don't have the rear PTO on your tractor, so if you ever decide to add a rear pto, make sure you get the proper part. More info here.

Nice tractor, congrats!

·
6,553 Posts
UT,

Yep I completely forgot about the PTO change. There are always minor changes that you can pick up on when you look through JDparts.com there are different revisions on the machines.

Before I bought my X7 I was set on buying one used to get the manual 4wd because I was worried about how the hydraulic setup worked. When I was finally ready to make a purchase and I went to the dealership and actually got to look at one up close and talk to the service guys and talk to my salesman (who is actually knowledgeable about the products he sells) it put my mind at ease. I wouldn't shed any tears over one or the other they are both great setups.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for your input!:thanku: This helps me understand where my X748 sits feature and function wise compared to others as I continue my education on this site.

I'm still looking at blower options (JD vs Berco unless there are options I haven't seen yet) and considering the weather cab like Brett has.

I think I saw on another thread that Brett might only keep his for one season of use so maybe I need to endure a winter's blow and pick his up when he upgrades next year. I'm thinking with the slight use it will get in his part of PA it will be in like new condition.:fing32:

·
6,553 Posts
I guarantee it will be in new condition and it will be priced at a grand with the heater, the original boxes and paperwork. That's how I roll :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts