My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post this for kicks.

Boss has a JD L120. Tells me the other day that he thinks he might have thrown a rod and will bring it with him the next morning.

I look at it for him. Add 1.5 qt. missing oil. Spin it over, it's got fire but no compression. Know that the crank is spinning, so I run my videoscope in the plug holes and see that the valves are opening, but the pistons aren't moving. Let him know and wait a few days for him to decide what to do.

Today, he says go in the motor and tell him if it's worth trying to fix. So I hook the hoist to the front axle, disconnect a few things and 5 mins latter, the engine is out. 5 minutes after that have the bottom plate off the motor and boy what a mess.

Rods, crank, broken piston skirts, scared linners, etc.

Attachments

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Man when that one let loose it did so in a big way! Thanks for the pics.:fing32:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
That's just where the engineers put all the "extra" pieces...

LOL :)

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Nice pile of shrapnel. No hole in the block?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the new engine in today and installed it. They were out of the John Deere branded engine, so I got the same engine in Cub Cadet colors (Guess he now has a Cub Deere :D).

Had to change the linkage bracket (no big deal) as the cub is set-up for a single throttle/choke lever operation and his Deere has a separate Choke lever. The new engine's fuel line runs down the other side of the engine, though it works out better that way. The throttle stop screw had to be adjusted up just a hair. Other than those 3 things it was a drop in and it runs great. His original engine didn't have a oil pressure sensor (older JD L120) and the new one does, so wired up a low oil pressure warning light for him. We also had a talk about checking oil every mow.

Got the engine from http://smallenginesuppliers.com/ and had it in a couple days. Paid $600 and another $60 shipping for the 23HP Briggs new with warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
cool... what's with the missing stickers on the hood?... has he rolled it before, cracked the hood and replaced it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He bought the moser a couple years ago used. It didn't have any stickers on it then. Don't know if these did or not new. The L120 label is on the dash.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Lucky for him he has you!! Only problem I see is,unless you get a little grease under your nails fixing stuff--you will never know the importance for regular maintaince.Course,that's just me.Job well done on your part!:trink40:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts