My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still amazed at what these old machines can do. I used my '73 Ford 4000 to pull some small stumps yesterday, and I amazed myself once again. I wrapped a chain around the base of the stump and hooked the other end to a chain that was strung between the 2 sides of the loader frame just in front of the rear axle, just to make sure that physics was working on the side of safety, so all of the pulling force was pulling down on the frame in front of the rear axle. The stumps were 4 to 6 inches in diameter, and they were from some small evergreens that my mother-in-law didn't want when she bought the house next door to us this spring. We cut them off about 2 feet above ground level and they've been sitting there reminding me to pull them every time I look at that part of her yard. I finally got a couple of free hours yesterday, so I decided to go for it. Man oh man. I spent way more time getting on and off the tractor and hooking and unhooking the chains than I did actually sitting in the seat pulling the stumps. I think that the longest it took to pull any one stump was less than 10 seconds. There were 5 stumps total, and less than a single minute of total pulling time, but the entire exercise took almost 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Ain't tractors the most fun-ist things?

:fing32: Good for you on being safe with the chain :fing32:

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Sounds like you did it right. Hook low and pull slow.
Question on the SOS as I've never owned one.
Say the tractor starts to come up when pulling like you did, can you get an immediate disconnect of power like you do with dumping the clutch on a manual tranny or is there a slight delay?

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the inching pedal on the SOS works similar to a clutch on a manual transmission. The SOS is basically a gear drive transmission where the gear selection is controlled by hydraulics. The gear selector handle sets the position on the control valve inside the transmission, and based on what position the control valve is in, it sends the hydraulic fluid to the right places to engage and disengage the various parts of the planetary gear systems. When the inching pedal is pressed down, the hydraulic flow for the control valve is dumped directly back to the sump, and when there's no pressure in the control circuits, the planetary gears default to neutral. The dumping to neutral is pretty much immediate when you press the pedal down. If there is any delay, it is not noticeable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts