My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to do a search as I'm sure this topic has been covered a number of times, but the search function was not very happy with any of the queries I was trying!

I went over to Lowe's to get some 2-cycle oil and a new gas can for my soon (crossing fingers for today) to be here 10247 and was a little perplexed with the complete lack of selection. They only had one bottle (Pro-Mix I do believe) that was listed for a 32:1 ratio. The other bottle was a Huvanasqu (sp?) for a 50:1 mix. I am sure I can go to a "real" store and get something better, but they are a bit out of the way. I've used this stuff in my weed eater before and it works fine, but seeing that I can go and pick up a quality weed eater all over town, but I have to scour ebay to find a LB, I want it to like what I'm using really well. SO... Is this stuff OK or do I need to go and find something else?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
There have been discussions on here about this but I'm not sure how you would find them ?

And some of them have been pretty heated, as far as which 2 stroke oil is best thats up for debate.

I use Opti-2 and I'm sure you will hear all sorts of bad things about it, I've used it for many years and never had a problem of any kind related to fuel or lubrication.

No ash, no carbon, virtually no wear, its easy to use, has a built in fuel stabilizer, and is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If you want something good and quick-you can mosey over to Wal-Mart and get SuperTech 2 cycle & outboard oil. Comes in a blue bottle and some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO).

For LawnBoys a successful proven mix has been mix 3.2oz of that oil (SuperTech) and .8oz of MMO per gallon.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The search function for this site really does BLOW! But to stay on subject; I forget the brand but I get it at O'Reilly's. It is a synthetic oil that can be used for all ratios.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,127 Posts
I use LB oil and I can only get it online. Ace Hardware has it at the best price. Gravelpit did some research for us and he found them as being the cheapest source on line for the 32-1 lawnboy oil. We had a thread on this a couple of weeks ago, it was titled something like, "ole lb oil in the can". I'd look it up and post the link right now, but I am out of time...gotta go do the honey do list. LOL

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
There have been discussions on here about this but I'm not sure how you would find them ?

And some of them have been pretty heated, as far as which 2 stroke oil is best thats up for debate.

I use Opti-2 and I'm sure you will hear all sorts of bad things about it, I've used it for many years and never had a problem of any kind related to fuel or lubrication.

No ash, no carbon, virtually no wear, its easy to use, has a built in fuel stabilizer, and is reasonably priced.
same here i use opti2-no more tripping over 7 gas cans,no more carbon to clean,has fuel stabiliser,and is cheaper when you look at the dynamics of the oil.and you can squeeze a little more power out of the mower.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
See what I mean about everyone having a favorite flavor !

But the good thing is you can choose one that one you works for you.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
I use Lawn-Boy oil. The only reason is because I got it from my local Jewel for $2.99 per 4 pack. I stocked up every time I went. It has since been discontinued there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I figured it would be a very heated topic. Basically just like anything involving oil, it gets really heated online! I have a feeling that most work pretty well, but that some might be better than others. I don't know why the search function is crummy, but many of them don't index words of 3 or less letters, making oil extra hard to search for. If we could get some good information, maybe we could get a sticky up?

I suppose for my first couple of tanks, I am going to use this, though I might stop at Ace on the way home and check them out.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
I save the used oil from my VW bus and burn it in all my two cycle engines @a ratio of 8:1. Smeeeeeellllllls Grrrrrrreat!

·
Lawn-Boys Everywhere
1,294 Posts
Can't think of a more discussed topic here than 2 cycle oil.

It should have a sticky entry. A "2 cycle Oil" sticky would be more popular than "Mowing Time Calculator", "Sources for old mower parts", or the "Maintenance Forms" stickies. :hide:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I hope that 10247 arrived in good order today as advertised. Please let me know what you think about it when it gets to its new home. You can let me know right here. If there's something I can do different or better I'd like to hear, and it may help other people, too! This is the first Lawn Boy I've ever let leave my stable, so I want to learn if you'd be kind enough to provide feedback (even if it's stuff I failed at).

·
2 stroke addict
1,102 Posts
I hope that 10247 arrived in good order today as advertised. Please let me know what you think about it when it gets to its new home. You can let me know right here. If there's something I can do different or better I'd like to hear, and it may help other people, too!

huh??

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
mrbdm is looking for oil for his new 10247 (I sold it to him). Sorry, I was off topic in a way.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Are you on a budget for oil Dan? If not, I highly recommend you try the Legend Oil. It smells almost as good once vaporized out the exhaust as it does in the bottle! I would love the chance to run it in mass quantities like in oil injected outboards, pwc, sleds, etc. I sold off my sleds a few years ago, before I had the chance to try it out.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Are you on a budget for oil Dan? If not, I highly recommend you try the Legend Oil. It smells almost as good once vaporized out the exhaust as it does in the bottle! I would love the chance to run it in mass quantities like in oil injected outboards, pwc, sleds, etc. I sold off my sleds a few years ago, before I had the chance to try it out.
SHHHH i thought we were keepin it a secret ...:(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts