My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
never too old to learn
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was raking out by my new garden addition, and along with rocks and sticks I pulled up the 4” handle shown below. The number stamped into it, with a bit of squinting, appears to be H11483H.

25 or so years ago I used to park a tractor and sickle bar, also shown, about ten feet from where I found this. Maybe it belonged with them?

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,143 Posts
It's a tension handle from something. Some kind of adjustment that requires a slid and tighten deal.

·
never too old to learn
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a tension handle from something. Some kind of adjustment that requires a slid and tighten deal.
I went and grabbed it from the shed to verify the numbers and see there is just a few bits of green paint on the back of this. It may have been on that Deere sickle bar as an adjuster.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Sickle bar rod handle, if it threaded. Used to hold the bar vertical during transport. The rod goes threw the bar and the handle threaded to it on the other side of the bar. That looks like a JD mower on what appears to but mounted on an IH.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,972 Posts
I believe it is off the rod that held the bar upright in travel position. Put the rod through the hole in the bar and screw that on to hold it upright.
Handle hanging down kept it from unscrewing and working itself off the threads.
Remember one like it being on the sickle we had attached to the H for mowing hay.

Also seems to me there was another one on the tentionor spring to tighten and loosen the spring. It was a long spring like a garage door spring, but made out of heavier wire. Don't remember what that long spring was actually for, or what it did.

·
never too old to learn
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sickle bar rod handle, if it threaded. Used to hold the bar vertical during transport. The rod goes threw the bar and the handle threaded to it on the other side of the bar. That looks like a JD mower on what appears to but mounted on an IH.
Thanks- I just found a picture of what looks like that rod handle on someone’s ‘for sale’ picture!

That tractor was my 1943 Farmall H.

Attachments

·
never too old to learn
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it is off the rod that held the bar upright in travel position. Put the rod through the hole in the bar and screw that on to hold it upright.
Handle hanging down kept it from unscrewing and working itself off the threads.
Remember one like it being on the sickle we had attached to the H for mowing hay.

Also seems to me there was another one on the tentionor spring to tighten and loosen the spring. It was a long spring like a garage door spring, but made out of heavier wire. Don't remember what that long spring was actually for, or what it did.
Thank you, as well :eek:)

This and a box of replacement cutters are all that remain to me from then (and a bad rear tire on a rusted rim).

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,972 Posts
This and a box of replacement cutters are all that remain to me from then (and a bad rear tire on a rusted rim).
I still have a box of replacement cutters for the sickle mower on a shelf in the shop. And the rivet punch. I've made a couple short handled hoes, with one for the blade, for weeding in the garden. Thinking about making a removable scraper for my snowblower, with 6 or 8 of those sticking out, to cut under the hard packed snow drifts in the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts