My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was mowing today with my WH 10465-8, Kohler engine K3015 when it started running rough, with dark smoke coming out of exhaust, it finally quit running but would start and run a little with starting fluid. I replaced the plug, fuel filter and sprayed the carb a little with carb cleaner but have not dug in any deeper than that. I still have the same problem. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning the carb better but thats about all I know how to do. By the way, the fuel filter was pretty dirty. Thanks for any suggestions on where to go from here.
bluegill 7

One other thing, some raw gas was dripping out of the carb.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dark smoke means too much gas.
I would pull the air cleaner off, and run it. Check to see if any raw gas is coming out of the carb. An indication that the needle valve is either shot, or has a piece of crud holding it open, or the float is not floating (hole if a brass float)
I had that problem with a Kohler 14M. A new needle and seat cured the rich condition, and the gas pouring out of the carb!
When you have it apart, squirt some carb/choke cleaner thru the jets and passages, followed by a blast of compressed air. Do it a few times.
I almost never buy a carb kit. The gaskets are usually reusable.
Good luck with it

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jerry,

In Virginian "Old Dude" speak that would be a 1973 12HP Automatic (1-0465) with a Kohler K301S ... :praying: ... He probably wasn't wearing his glasses. Could be fat fingers too, but .........

:sorry1:, couldn't help myself.

never heard of those numbers 10465-8 k3015

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like your air jet picked up something. Had one yesterday that was doing the samething, take it out and use a strand off the wire brush and clean it should be all set

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for those ideas. I'm headed out to take the carb off. The Kohler manual and step by step instructions that MikesRJ posted will be a great help. And, yes, the Kohler motor # was k301S. Chalk that up to old eyes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sandhill,

Kohler engines, commonly fitted with Carter or Walbro carburetors, have fuel-metering needle valve(s). The amount of air which is drawn into the carburetor is determined by the piston displacement of the engine, and cannot be changed.

When the carburetor is adjusted correctly, the needle valves (Idle and High) are providing the appropriate amount of fuel to mix with the amount of air being drawn into the engine, at a particular throttle setting. This is the ratio between the mass of air and the mass of fuel in the fuel-air mix at any given moment.

Scientifically, the ratio is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel (14.7:1 ratio, or about 7% fuel in the air-fuel mixture) is considered a "perfect" combustible mixture ("perfect" = all air is consumed burning all available fuel).

All that said, if the dark smoke is indicating excessive fuel, then the only things it can be is not enough air for the available fuel, or too much fuel getting in for the available air. This could indicate an intake valve not opening, a clogged air filter, broken needle valve, broken carburetor body, bad fuel valve seat, bad float valve seat, etc.

The trick to troubleshoot an issue like this is to determine whether you have 1) not enough air getting into the carburetor, or too much fuel getting into the mixture.

I'd start by taking off the air filter and try it again, then if the filter isn't the issue, pull the spark plug and make sure the valves are moving correctly and while I have the plug out check compression, only then would I consider dis-assembling the carburetor when the previous checks didn't indicate anything wrong there.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like your air jet picked up something. Had one yesterday that was doing the samething, take it out and use a strand off the wire brush and clean it should be all set

·
Registered
590 Posts
And, yes, the Kohler motor # was k301S.
No worries, the "S" merely indicates the engine is electric start. At the end of the day it's still a K301 and probably has the Carter "N" carburetor, assuming it has not been replaced in the past with something else.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
It's easy to over think things like this, and overlook the basics! Not that I've ever done that!!

I still want to know what an "air jet" is.
Anyone?

·
Registered
590 Posts
No such thing, except ...
The Comp Air Jet is an eight-seat turbofan-powered civil utility aircraft designed and built by Comp Air for homebuilding.

But that has nothing to do with a Kohler carburetor.

Again, :sorry1:, sometime the Smart-A## comes out before I can pull it back ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, I printed off the most important pages of the Kohler manual that MikesRJ sent me and started disassembling the carb. I cleaned it up and went to my local lawn repair shop and got a rebuild kit which included gaskets and the fuel inlet needle and seat. I blew out everything and put it back together. I started her up and she runs like a champ. Thanks to all for your valuable advice. bluegill7

·
Registered
590 Posts
Glad you got her fixed, and you learned how easy it is to fix a carburetor. Enjoy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts