My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 weeks of rain, I uncovered the WH 211-5 this morning. I found that the front top of the hood had what looked like a water stain on it. But, it would not wipe off.
Several months ago, I compounded the entire hood area and sealed it with several coats of automtive wax. The hood was all 'red' then, but it's not now.
We had some sun today, so I let it sit uncovered, but the 'stain' still was there. There is no bubbling evident.
What happened? Any ideas.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Umm, maybe the water, heat and wax has caused the paint to fade. I really dont know. Have you tried washing and re waxing?

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I have waxed a tractor with poor paint before and it did the same thing. Try stripping all the wax off with mineral spirits or some such thing.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have had paint that wasn't completely cured turn white under a heavy coat of clear or wax before. (I won't say what I had to do to fix it:():banghead3

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try removing the wax, and start over again, after a good washing.
This is the original paint. It looks like the moisture is between the original paint and the wax.

Found this condition while moving around the 'fleet', so I could do some much needed weed thinning. More rain forcast for the next 5 days...QUACK..QUACK.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the same problem with my Murray hood. It happened last summer. I had a poly tarp covering the hood. It was flat across with water trapped between. I tried rubbing compound and wax, but nothing removed it. I think it’s permanent.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing is permanent! Just sand it down and repaint, but, I'm trying to avoid that right now.
The 2 Craftsman tractotrs were covered in the same manner, but didn't get hit. They had been run, so I'll try to start the WH. Already 86 degrees,but storms in the PM.
Grass is starting to burn. Oh, no. That's just where I left the height adjustment handle in the wrong setting. DOH!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stopped at a yard sale Saturday, they had a couple tractors up for grabs. While talking to the owner, he divulged that he had a WH 211-3 that the red paint on the hood also turned a milky white. It was stored under one of those plastic tarps. His solution, was to completely strip the hood and repaint.

His 'yard sale' tractors were still there when I left. None followed me home, that I know of.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
if you store one under a plastic tarp always try to get some space under the tarp and tractor for air to move unless you want a rusty tractor and milkie hood I bet the sides didnt milke up did they /

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, just the first 5 - 6 inches of the top front hood section.

I gotta clean the leanto out, to make room to store the tractors. But that means putting the snowblowers out in the cold, along with the Harley.

OR, adding on, again.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Harley in the cold no way puty it in the house and if the wife ask what are you doing play dumm and act crazy

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the sun came out today for a couple hours, so I uncovered the WH 211-5. Got out the rubbing compound and removed almost all of that milky white glaze on the hood. The surface came out so good, I have to do the rest of the hood over again to match. Thanks for the suggestions.

While I was out there, put in the 'new' battery with battery tray and new bolts.

And, took off the accessory raise/lower handle and freed that up so it now works.

Successful 2 hours. It's raining again. Finished just i time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts