My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HD
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been rehabbing my John Deere 318 and have finished painting my frame using JD Blitz Black out of spray cans. Am generally happy with the results, other than going through a ton of cans, but do have some areas that are a tad rough. In addition, was priming some other parts a little too close to the frame and have a touch of yellow primer over spray on some areas of the frame. It was just a light dusting and looks like the frame is just a bit dusty. Everything I've been reading about polishing and wet sanding is in regards to having a clear coat.

Would using some 1000 to 3000 grit wet sand paper be enough to knock down the rough areas as well as some of the yellow primer dusting? Also saw polishing compound being used as well. Would like to avoid having to repaint.

Thanks for your help,
HD

·
2,818 Posts
Can you show us a picture of what we're working with... it makes a difference.

But principally yes, what you propose is reasonable. The overspray might also just wipe off with a rag dampened in thinner, test in an inconspicuous location.

·
Father Deerest
2,728 Posts
Use mineral spirits, rub gently and use a clean terry cloth rag to wipe away the haze. If not get a clay bar and keep for the rest of the project, use it on your everyday driving car after washing to remove the road grime and dust.

·
HD
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't have much time today, it is my anniversary and the wife wouldn't be happy if I spent it out in the garage! Did give the mineral spirits a try and that helped a lot. Will get some pictures up tomorrow though! Thanks for the tips!

·
HD
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope these pictures help, but you can see stone of the yellow primer on the engine bay and where I wiped. Also the rail was wiped with mineral spirits and cleaned up nicely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts