My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know about what year this mower is

Im turning it into my race mower. I have upgraded the steering and made it safe for high speeds. I installed a 1 inch live axle and a peerless 500 transmission. It will have hydraulic brakes from a yamaha blaster and douglas aluminum cart wheels. ill post more pics whe its done

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The neighbor kid two houses from me has one like that. Same body style, except it's yellow and badged as a Coast to Coast (hardware store chain). He told me his is a '74. The info plate says manufactured by MTD.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Western Auto was a chain auto store that sold the "Wizard" line until going out of business. They were made by a company (possibly MTD) that build the generic lawn tractors for various companies to re-badge.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it had a sticker under the seat that said made by MTD. the numbers off the tag are MTD 7262A23 A112A. Ill try to take some pictures of it in the build process and post them sonny.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We're still using a Western Auto Wizard self propelled 22" mower we picked up in the early 80's. It's on semi retirement but still get about 5 hrs a year...just say'en. Good luck with the racer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the fenders are the first thing i noticed when i went to look at them. I bought this tractor and another one identical to it for 50 bucks. ive tryed looking up the numbers from the tag before but i cant find any info. Anyone know how to search those numbers?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well im startin up an old thread. From what i have figured out my tractor is a 74 or a 75 just like Scrat2 said. Ill post recent pics of it tomorrow. It now sits much lower and the 8hp briggs has been replaced with a 16.5hp opposed twin. Its almost ready to roll i just need to buy a clutch and some little odds and ends and then paint it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well heres a couple pics of my racer. Their not real great but you can see what it looks like. It dosent look like it but its only about 6 inches off the floor. Its pretty much done except for paint and a few little things. Theres oil all over from it being tiped on its side to work under it. Oh and thats my grandpa sitin on the couch in his garage next to the wood stove drinkin his old german. lol.

·
Retired Mod
3,734 Posts
I had almost the identicle mower in RI, but sadly during my move some scrap metal theives took it and a bunch of other stuff i wanted to save. (i hope at least one of them broke some fingers loading it!) mine had a 1983 code on the briggs but i suspect the motor was newer. have fun racing!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im hoping on the track to go about 35 or 40 and in a straight line just winding it out down the road hopfully 55. Im sorry to hear about you mower being stolen bernie. I would like to find one of the even smaller huffy or rugg size mower to build a racer out of next.

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
so how did it end up ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I gotta western auto wizard it’s silver and has 50 inch deck I can not find belt size for deck for anything what siZe is it?

·
Administrator
5,436 Posts
Welcome.....You would be best to start a thread on this in the appropriate section.....A few companies made tractors for Western Auto...I had an MTD one. Post a pic of yours and we can likely help you out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts