My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Clean metal is your friend any pain near where you are welding burns and causes problems. you are getting better for sure.
Thanks, starting to understand the relationships between wire feed, amps, and thickness of material. Going to be a long time before I'd say I'm any good at it. Was a little difficult to work between the two supports, but I suspect that is normal in welding.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Getting that "perfect bead" can be very elusive....practice, practice, practice....
So, I'm welding in the garage (flux-core), the Daughter comes out and wants to try it....Puts on the gear.....and within 10 minutes she does her initials on a steel plate......go figure..

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hey, they pick things up very quick! When I used to ski I was amazed that the kids were buzzing down the slopes while I was still snowplowing!! Maybe you have a future fabricator there! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey, they pick things up very quick! When I used to ski I was amazed that the kids were buzzing down the slopes while I was still snowplowing!! Maybe you have a future fabricator there! :)
She is a CAD Engineer doing mechanical design. Loves mechanical stuff. I get her involved in all my projects!

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Well as I told my IT team, you have to know how to make the rubber meet the road! Knowledge it good but it's nothing without application! She's probably a better CAD Engineer because you tie her into your projects!

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
When welding stick or flux core keep your slag cleaned off when stopping and starting welds. Everyone in the trailer shops had 1 drill with a 6" bench grinder brush with a 3/8 carriage bolt in the hole for an arbor chucked up in it at all times as we had to brush aluminum welds. Mine is on the bottom left in the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well as I told my IT team, you have to know how to make the rubber meet the road! Knowledge it good but it's nothing without application! She's probably a better CAD Engineer because you tie her into your projects!
BTW how is your 322 muffler rebuild going?

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
When welding stick or flux core keep your slag cleaned off when stopping and starting welds. Everyone in the trailer shops had 1 drill with a 6" bench grinder brush with a 3/8 carriage bolt in the hole for an arbor chucked up in it at all times as we had to brush aluminum welds. Mine is on the bottom left in the pic.
I used a stiff wire brush the whole time cleaning each weld after stopping. To clean the metal prior I used a twisted steel wire brush cup on the grinder.
BTW how is your 322 muffler rebuild going?
I ordered some Fournier hammers to work the steel into the shapes needed. So waiting on those, everything is slower right now.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts