My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i stop by a friends shop again today. to try and talk into selling a case mower, but no good. his father had a case dealership back in the 50's 60's 70's and he saved at least 1-5 of every case mower made. he's got some that are still in the crates along with attachments and lawn carts . the son's collection is unbelievable. he even as a old restored case car. but he will not part with anything. he still works on farm equipment. and still as new parts sitting on shelf's from when the shop was open as a case dealership. right off the top of my head he has over 25 hit-miss motors all restored and running. case 135,155,195,444,446,646 with loader,222. the collection goes on. i when to school with the boy. and my parents always brought mowers off him. i can rembler 135,155,195,444 that i had to mow yard with and used to use around farm for other things. i still want one of those's machines again.
allen

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Pics help.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
little are to take pictures of some body elses stuff. would you like people to come to your place and take pic

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
little are to take pictures of some body elses stuff. would you like people to come to your place and take pic

No.... I would not want someone to come to my place and take pictures. However, if they approached me first, explained why they wanted to take the pictures and then told me what they were going to do with them, then permission might be granted.

However, I would insist on doing an immediate review of what showed up in his camera when he finished the shoot. If I felt that there was information in the photo that could be detrimental to me or my family, then I would delete that photo and ask him to take it again, either as a tighter shot or from a different angle.

In other words, the request by CM was a legit one. He was leaving it up to you to figure out whether it is possible or not. Your story is quite interesting. We hear about people like this but rarely get a glimpse into their world. You have an opportunity to open the door for the rest of us to peek inside. Who knows? Maybe this man would be proud to have his collection shown on this site. It's just a question and he has the right to say no.

But if the question is never asked, then you won't know what his stance is either.

·
1,359 Posts
I'm not being demanding or trying to bust your balls. My request was a reaction after reading your interesting writeup. Perhaps I should have been more elaborate. I asked because reading a thread like this without pictures is like watching Barrett-Jackson with the volume up and the TV turned backwards. I can understand what you're talking about, but seeing adds to the level of enjoyment. No malice or nepharious intentions implied.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand. I'm going to try and get pictures. The thing is I don't want names or anything out there about another person. I understand what the whole web is loaded with b------t. But I'm honest right out front. It's like earlier day posting on a cc site about info about a mower I brought and was looking for info because there is nothing searching coming and state in topic that knew it had nothing to do with cc. But I got a a-- chewing about posting there but there little group can talk about other things on that site. Now back to the case collection. I will try and get pictures. All I can say is the old time farmers around here that knew him(father) always talked about what a man he was. The boy I went to school with. When the boy took over repairing farm equipment, his father would always say his son was nut's. By that statement was , when he when to buy a drill or wrench, he would buy 5-10 of the same things. His shop when u walkin to it is new tools still in boxes. His service truck is a 24ft. Box truck with every type on tool and machines in it. It's like a traveling garage.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
I have seen people like this before, makes you wonder where they get the money to support their addiction. wish I had that problem...:crybaby:

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
WOW!!!
I would love to be able to see that collection and talk to the guy. That stuff should go to a museum... lol. I'm jealous, how do these people afford 2 or more of everything they buy? I know a friends mom that would buy him toys and matchbox cars in pairs. He could play with one and the other went in a box. His collection is worth $ a ton now.

·
1,359 Posts
Maybe he's related to Noah.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i tried this past friday to talk to the guy and let me shot some pictures. but no way was he letting me look or take pictures. my brother when with me because he is closer to him then i'm. no good at all. he would not he show me anything. he did talk to me and state the following.
over 30 full size tractors restored complety.. over 15 waiting to be restored. the J.I.CASE old car is buried in the lot of tractors. he stated and brother know for a fact that he as over 80 restored hit/miss motors. roughly 20 waiting to be restored. i see about 5 or 6 sitting in this lean to barn on metal wheels with the big flywheels. he even as a 2001 motor home with about 20,000 miles just sitting in garage. as far as case gargen tractors go he told me he is sitting on atleast 2-5 of every model some of which are still in crates along with attachments. new parts, books.. this guy will not sell anything. my brother offer him 5 thousand for a hit/miss motor in rough shape about 2 yrs ago and would not sell.
when i ask him friday if he would show me around , he told me a could get in p/u and leave..
so guys i try and if anything comes up i will let you know. my brother told me he will never sell anything.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
That stuff will all be for sale someday, whether he likes it or not. Just keep watching your local paper for the obituaries. sounds cold and heartless but like the saying goes, He can't take them with him.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Well then, I am sure there are a few of us that would love to hear when that estate auction finally takes place,

How about a PM if you ever see auction signs going up at that place?

Man O Man....I feel like such a Vulture....LOL!!!!

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
He doesn't have to sell anything and he doesn't have to entertain you either. I've dealt with them before and you might as well just give up. One day it will all be for sale.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Maybe he`s just trying to protect his collection. A box truck full of tools is a easy target for a expert thief, and easier to unload then his collection.

·
1,359 Posts
Or maybe he's just full of crap if he gets this defensive at the mere asking to see what he has.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Or maybe a person who collects at that level is perhaps a bit eccentric, and perhaps that "eccentricity" carries over into other facets of their behavior ?

Just a thought..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have nothing approaching this guys collection but I do have quite a few items people would like to buy or would be easy to sell. Tens of thousands in tools alone. I live in a rural are that is pretty safe. But... if someone just shows up wanting to look around I turn them away nicely.
If they come with a friend of mine I might show them around but I will still be a bit cautious.

This person may have a friend MY friend does not know about who may hear about the place and think it might be easy pickings for his meth habit bill.

Many of us have some valuable items in pole sheds or garages with minimal security. Our security is keeping it hidden.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the father and son were like this since I knew them. My brother and I was talking yesterday about how much the boy had to buy his sister off when his father died because the estate was left to both and they don't get along at all. So the boy paid off the sister just to get her out of it. I could write a book on this family. Me and my brother talked for almost 2 hours about it yesterday. The motor home the father brought to go on a trip to yellowstone , and there it sits in the garage they built just for it. My brother said it been in garage ever since trip.
I'm going to keep my eyes out to see if I can catch him in a good moment sometime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts