Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
I = 1965. Has the 2 speed axle is the difference

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I = 1965. Has the 2 speed axle is the difference
Is that good or bad? Or is it good if you like 2 speed axles and bad if you dont? Im pretty sure its leaking a little something because there is something on my bad liner underneath iy but I cant hardly get my finger in it to see what it is, Im kinda beat-up right now and can hardly walk really and thats why I dont get a lot done to fast.
So I assume that unlike my L there is like 2 different oil compartments as in one for tranny and one for motor oil?
I appriciate your'e kmowledge on these things and would like to ask if you could give me a quick informal " edu-ma-cation" ( as coined by Earnest T. Bass) and/or rundown on it.
Thanks a lot either way.
Now I have a 66 single speed and a 65 2 speed and whatever that other "thing" I got for a parts tractor is. But Im very glad I got it because I have gotten some parts from it.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that good or bad? Or is it good if you like 2 speed axles and bad if you dont? Im pretty sure its leaking a little something because there is something on my bad liner underneath iy but I cant hardly get my finger in it to see what it is, Im kinda beat-up right now and can hardly walk really and thats why I dont get a lot done to fast.
So I assume that unlike my L there is like 2 different oil compartments as in one for tranny and one for motor oil?
I appriciate your'e kmowledge on these things and would like to ask if you could give me a quick informal " edu-ma-cation" ( as coined by Earnest T. Bass) and/or rundown on it.
Thanks a lot either way.
Now I have a 66 single speed and a 65 2 speed and whatever that other "thing" I got for a parts tractor is. But Im very glad I got it because I have gotten some parts from it.
P..S.- Im finally gonna get it off my truck tomorrow (Sunday) as my younger brother can help me. Ive been hauling it around for almost a week!

·
Daryl G
875 Posts
Gerrard,
First off, the difference, at least in my opinion, between an L8 and a regular model (LS, LI, L) is night and day!!! The Swiftamatic is amazing as you have so much flexibility in ground speed while you are working different types of terrain. Now for the bad... if you are talking about the latest machine you just bought... I do not think that it is an L8 based on the pictures you posted earlier. It should have an extra lever just below on the right side of the gas tank (see below).

Remove that plastic bag and inspect for that third handle. I think there was a swap of gas tanks sometime over it's life...

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could have been. After I go try to fix my sisters van and try to sell it to some guy whos supposed to buy it my brother and I are gonna get it off my truck and I can get sum better pix of it.
Be back ASAP

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'll post all the pics I made of it but it dont look like the fuel tamk has been replaced unless it was when it wasnt very old at all. I might have gotten a small concussion because I was unloading it on a cpl boards I bought and it went backwards so fast I couldnt go as fast and fell backwards onto the stone sidewalk and knocked myself out for a minute almost, till my broyher was slapping my face and yelling at me. Busted my head open and I cant bend down without getting so dizzy I can hardly get up. Well enuf about me but I dont think I have ever hit my head like that, it was as if I got hit w/a ball bat.

Anyhow I dont know about this thing, There is a big chunk of something in the PTO AND IT MUST HAVE SAT OUT IN THE RAIN FOR AWHILE CAUSE i WENT TO PUT AIR IN ONE OF THE TIRES AND ( dang caps, aint going back to fix em) water came gushing out of the valve I guess.. A couple of the bolts on the plate that surround the hubs like where the oil-dump is on my L model are sticking out like they are to long or just havent been screwed in all the way.
Im sure it wont be an easy fix, maybe shoulda waited to find a better one but maybe I wouldnt have found one at all who knows.
Well here they are.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Well, it's not an L8 . . .

Somebody must have swapped fan shrouds. The year is about right, because it's a slant-plug engine, but beyond that it's hard to tell. There was a thread on here which explains how many turns of the engine translate into one turn of the wheels, but I can't find it now. That would tell you whether it's LS/LI/L. Or just get her running and see :)

The "chunk of something" in the PTO is the trunnion block. Somebody must have removed the PTO shipper shaft while not paying attention and dropped it. I recommend you take it out of there and put it back on the shipper shaft where it belongs.

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Well, it's not an L8 . . .

Somebody must have swapped fan shrouds. The year is about right, because it's a slant-plug engine, but beyond that it's hard to tell. There was a thread on here which explains how many turns of the engine translate into one turn of the wheels, but I can't find it now. That would tell you whether it's LS/LI/L. Or just get her running and see :)

The "chunk of something" in the PTO is the trunnion block. Somebody must have removed the PTO shipper shaft while not paying attention and dropped it. I recommend you take it out of there and put it back on the shipper shaft where it belongs.
I think the swifty was pulled from it, notice the paint mark on the handle bar where the bracket would have been. Lack of handle bar support since its welded to it makes sense too.
Trunnion block looks ate up and cracked to me.

In full get it running and see moment to me

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Yeah . . . . could be. I guess I would have hoped that if somebody was scavenging parts from some other machine, they would have put the handlebar reinforcement on as well, but that's probably foolish.

Bottom line, get it running and see what you've got.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks both of you, I'll do it that way because I'd say about the same thing in both replies. Well Im glad that "chunk of something" as I called it can be put back because I thot it was something that had snapped-off from somewhere in there. So its a wedge or keeper of an affair so thats better.
All in all its a Frankentractor and Im about half cheesed-off at myself for being in such of a "I'll take anything" hurry because thats what happens everytime I do that. So now I gotta buy another one, hopefully one that will run w/o a buttload of wrenching. But I'll see what I can do w/her before taking a 12 Ga. to it.lol!
Im starting to feel like one of those guys that knows just enuf about something to get into trouble lol.
But as was said someone has taken something big off of it because of the bolts of a diff color and a cpl of them with an inch of thread showing and looks like its doin a little leaking around what I will refer to as the " inner hub" behind the wheels that I had to take off on my L to reach in there and clean off the screen that gets full of sludge and debris ( pick-up screen) as both of those hubs look like they have no gasket or sealer of any kind.
I could hardly understand what the old dude was saying but I asked him "does it run?" and he replied "well it did run but he bla bla bla that pond". So who knows whats goin on with it but I can certainly tell the bottom has been off of it and about half put back on.
If I wouldnt have knocked myself out I woulda checked it out some more like oil ( and water prolly ) and at least got my socket and rachet I have put together already on the nut in center of bottom pulley and see if it'll turn over at all and if mag snaps.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Actually, if Steve's right, it's almost certainly got L gearing. That would be a way easier swap if it started out as an L8.

·
Gravely1964
3,889 Posts
Actually, if Steve's right, it's almost certainly got L gearing. That would be a way easier swap if it started out as an L8.
Made me laugh for second there. Paint and wear gives clues lol. But yes an L to an L8 is easy swap.

Who knows what you find with a half put together unit. Also will leak oil with rear hitch off and bolts not tight

·
Registered
136 Posts
Using wheel turns to determine which tractor you have (L, LI, LS):

With range lever in LOW and one wheel on the ground you have:
An L if the wheel turns once for 24 turns of the engine, an LI if 36 turns and an LS if 48 turns.
Have actually checked this on two tractors and it is correct.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dooo Whaaat? Man I couldnt manage that in two days lol.
Thanks for the help tho, I know you mean well its just me that is a little on the ( insert your own wors/s) side lol.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess Ive got another handlebar stabilizer or whatever its called on my parts tractor. I dont care what this one looks like or even if it leaks a little oil as long as it gives the bamboo that has taken over around my fence and some of my yard the old what fer.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Roger that, thats exactly what its about for me because like they say " idle hands are the devils workshop"
A man has to have a hobby .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts