My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost the last of the salvaged bilco cellar door being used on a friends project. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=144579
1st step was to tie the bottom and the sides together, I prep them, and my son welds...turning on the cooling fan and enjoying himself. :fing32:
DMAC

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes..."pathetically responding to my own thread as my teenage son put it".
2nd step. Complete the front and the corners. Help a friend that helps you.
DMAC

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Are you using flux core or gas?
The last pic in the first post is pretty cool, you can see the heat of the weld glowing. I figure that was taken while it was being welded.

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you using flux core or gas?
The last pic in the first post is pretty cool, you can see the heat of the weld glowing. I figure that was taken while it was being welded.
We're using co2 gas and .035 wire.
It's good to see the melding between two pieces of old metal. Both sides were cleaned as best as posible before welding.
Here is a single downhill mig pass on the scoop.

DMAC

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Maybe you're using what you have available, but I think you'll get better looking and stronger welds using 75/25 argon C02 mix.
JMHO,
Mike

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
I agree with a 75/25 mix.
That was why I asked which you were using.
But if you had a fan on you might also turn up your gas pressure.
Are you going to do another pass over that one?
The right side seems to need filling in from what I can see.

·
Banned
297 Posts
The welds appearance have nothing to do with the gas,I've welded fixed postion pipe[root out] with .035 wire and co2 shielding.

Hard to get a mig gun into tight places,takes practice,,, probably work out just fine for your intended purpose though,need to really shine that weld area up when using mig.

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe you're using what you have available, but I think you'll get better looking and stronger welds using 75/25 argon C02 mix.
Mike we've been using only co2 in this machine for 29 years I guess I'm in a rut. I will try the mix on the next tank, what is the cost difference?

But if you had a fan on you might also turn up your gas pressure.
Dave, the only fan that was on was the welders own cooling fan. Yes more weld was added as necessary. :praying:

The welds appearance have nothing to do with the gas
Unless you run out of gas. :fing20:

need to really shine that weld area up when using mig.
Yes I agree about clean metal bonds best. It was tough on sections where the metal was pitted from age. I ground it bright, wire wheeled and blew it off but I think one section justified using the sand blaster.
Thanks for the feed back guys.
DMAC

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
I don't know what the CO2 cost is as I've never had to buy it and I can't recall the cost of my 75/25. I'm guessing $35-$40. IIRC CO2 is normally used for miging stainless steel. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I know CO2 lasts longer as it's a liquid where 75/25 is a gas I believe. Again correct me if I'm wrong. If you know someone who has a 75/25 tank, see if you can borrow it to run a few welds, or rent the smallest tank your LWS has and see what you think of it. I've never run CO2 on mine, I just know 75/25 is recommended for mild steel mig welding.
HTH,
Mike

·
Banned
297 Posts
Co2 is used[I have used it alot] on steel,mild steel,deep penatrating,never heard of straight co2 being used on stainless,mixture of argon,think a mix of argon and co2 is used,or argon helium,,,but in any case,the co2 shielding has nothing to do with the welds we are talking about,,,loss of shielding due to joint configeration,[can't make that big gun go where you want],is the problem,,you gotta figure that in when your mig welding in tight places..

Thats why I recommend stick to anybody who has the question tween should I get a stick or should I get a mig,,,just many things for a newbie to consider when using a mig,,that he don't have to consider when stick welding,,,if the welds in question would have been stick welded, the problems with lack of shielding,hard to get gun into places,would not have even come up:trink40:

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was picked up at 12:30. He was very happy...gave me one of his kidneys. :fing32: ( The teenagers welds were satisfactory; Nero Wolfe) This is why I said it was a giant dirt scoop! 32" spacing at the 3 pt. Loook at that homemade peanut!

DMAC

·
Banned
297 Posts
Duh,,,well,its big its smaller,,that big size is like a dump truck compared to the three point,,you are fooling us fools.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Whats the planned use ? for mulch or something else bulky and light ? Whats the machine that this scoop is going to be attached to ?

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thanks for the details

1 - 15 of 15 Posts