My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Husqvarna GT and would like to get a scoop like the johnny bucket jr. Are there any plans available on the internet to build one? I have a metal cutting bandsaw, plasma cutter and an assortment of welders so I think I have enough tools to build one from scratch. Since my tractor does not have a hydraulic pump, I guess one that uses linear actuators would be the best.

Chris

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Search here for "Plywood Bucket" and see the threads that pop up on sme homebuilt ones made from plow blades..I'd post a photo of the one I made if I could,it wasn't that difficult,or I wouldn't have been able to make one,I'm not a master fabricator,more like a Master-hacker!..

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Chris
Where I grew up in the 60's I was able to hang out in the shops of 3 gentlemen who could fabricate just about anything. One ran a lawn mower repair business and I love to see the old iron here on MTF still working reminding me of my childhood. One of the fellows home made buckets front and rear, cranes etc. on all types of mobile platforms, a real insiration for a kid who enjoyed machinery of all kinds.

You have all the tools you need "Plasma Cutter" Hrumph!(Jealous) We made our "Daisy" bucket named after our Lab that has passed on, out of half of an oil tank we cut the half in half and brought the two ends together, welded and then had fun figuring out the geometry to make it work. The old gentlemend would have liked it. You can do it too! :fing32:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice bucket! I have had a little change in my idea, does it make sense to:
1 - Buy the Craftsman scoop for ~$450 and add on linear actuators
2 - Suck it up and dump the $1200 on the JB Jr

Reason for the change in heart was the time it will take to design and fabricate the bucket from scratch when $450 isn't too much when I know it will just bolt up and fit. I have to guess there is around $150 in steel to weld your own bucket plus my time to figure out where I can buy an old oil tank.

Anyone found a cheaper source for linear actuators than JB? Around $250 each almost makes buying the JB Jr a bargain considering it is thought to be better built than the craftsman.

Chris

·
Registered
558 Posts
northern tool sells actuators for about$120 each for big ones and i built a clam shell bucket for my dozer blade for $20 it only uses the lift for the plow and a trip cord to dump. to build mine i used a plasma cutter, welder and grinder. its an easy progect

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I've seen some nice clamshell addons to a regular plow. Needs to be a plow without trip springs. Remove the clamshell and you still have a plow for pushing snow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another option is a swisher atv/utv bucket. You can buy the bucket and build your own mounts. Do a search for swisher bucket and you will see a couple on gt. The draw back could be that it is 44in wide vs. the sears scoop at???

SS

·
Registered
224 Posts
Are there any plans available on the internet to build one?
If you do opt for the DIY approach, I have a JBjr you can inspect and measure. Might make sense to build certain aspects of it with the same design. If you ever need something (caddy arms or tooth bar) you could get JB's instead of having to build everything.

PM me if you're interested.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
Buckets can be made very easy useing fuel tanks off big trucks... You get two buckets from one tank...

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts