My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 318 (not a specific one yet) and was curious whether anyone puts their 318 in the bed of the truck. I have an 04 F250 and it appears it could handle the tractor if the deck is off of it. I don't currently have a trailer and need to gauge whether I MUST have a trailer for that one time a year it breaks down and I can't figure it out.:thanku:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd make sure you have a long enough ramp as those 3/4 ton's sit pretty high. Most ramps are made for four wheelers that have larger tires and suspension allowing them to crest the ramp and absorb hitting the ground easier, GT's do not. I've always trailered my 318 rather than use my F150.

Good luck. They are great machines.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I know that Drake, AKA D-Dogg hauls his 318 in the back of his one ton Dodge .. He hauled it to PA Plow day this spring in Danville, all the way up from VA. Not sure .. but I believe he used ramps but also a dirt berm to load and un load it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Timely question! I have been mowing a guys yard for him while his house is on the market. I have a 05 F350 with an 8' box. I also have a traditional style crossbed toolbox and access toneau cover so I really only have about 6' of bed space.

Made a set of 2x12x8' ramps with the hardware store style ramp ends to sit on the tailgate. Screwed a 2x4 vertically to the bottom of the 2x12 to add rigidity. 318 with a 46" deck and the discharge chute drove right up, cleared the tailgate, and fits right between the wheel wells. Discharge chute sits right on top of the right wheel well.

Trim the ramps 98" overall length, and they slide right under the mower and crossbed toolbox and I can shut my tailgate. Room to spare for gas cans and the weed wacker!

I need to mount up my model 49 snowblower to see how high it lifts. If it does lift high enough, I may be able to back up the ramps and set the snow blower down on the tailgate. That would be very handy this winter.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have hauled my 316 in the back of my truck before (same size dimensionally as a 318). I have always found a small bank or hill to back the tailgate up to for loading and unloading and then use ramps. It makes things a lot easier AND safer!

·
Super Moderator
32,617 Posts
You absolutely need to make sure that your ramps will handle your tractor weight! Remember if you have wheel weights, suitcase weights, etc... that you need much stronger ramps. You don't want those breaking with the tractor a couple feet off the ground!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good advice regarding the weight. Ramp ends for the 2x12 are rated at 750 lbs each. The 2x12s I used were brand new and actually started with 10' lengths. These bowed and flexed quite a bit as I started up them with the tractor and mower deck (rear wheel weights as well). Screwed the 2x4 to the center of the bottom of the 2x12- to make a T shape. Used a 2.5" deck screw every foot. Still had some flex, but plenty strong to drive all the way up. After cutting the ramps down to 98" overall length- almost no flex at all and deck still clears tailgate. Probably been up and down a total of 10 times this year.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I know that Drake, AKA D-Dogg hauls his 318 in the back of his one ton Dodge .. He hauled it to PA Plow day this spring in Danville, all the way up from VA. Not sure .. but I believe he used ramps but also a dirt berm to load and un load it
I do Ken. I just have to have the extra logistics wherever I go. I back the truck into my ditch to ease the loading at home. I saw there would be a berm at Plow Day, so I ran that way.

Without my ditch or berm I would need a 12' ramp.

Theo uses his truck as well, and wisely backs the tractor up his ramps. His tailgate sits a good 5" lower than mine however. He gets by with 8' ramps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mine has the 46 inch deck. I have hauled it in the back of a F150 and F250. The safety shield or whatever you call it is missing, and with the deck up it will scratch your fender wells. But, it can be done if you don't mind scratching a little paint.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would add that if you decide to load your tractor into the truck forward or backwards, TIE THE HOOD DOWN!!!! I can't stress this enough, I have seen way too many hoods ripped off tractors when the air gets in under the hood at hiway speeds and litterally blows the hood off.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I would vote for a small trailer. They come in handy for many things and much safer IMO for moving tractors. If you decide to use ramps and your truck make sure the ramps aren't the curved ones and will handle the weight. Secure the ramps to the tailgate so they won't kick out on you when your at the top of the ramps. slkpk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why take a risk? Buy or rent small trailer. Only takes one mishap you screw you up for life.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
I have hauled my 316 in a Dodge Dakota with out the deck, so it should easily fit in a full size truck. The weight was a little much for the Dakota, but we got there and back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Risk is how you perceive it as an individual I guess.

I could identify many risks associated with your trailer idea as well. I bought a pickup so I could haul things without a trailer. I have loaded many wheeled vehicles with ramps my whole life- dirt bikes, atvs, utvs, street bikes, and garden tractors. I don’t really see how a garden tractor is any more risky if you use your head.

But you are correct, “it only takes one mishap” . Those mishaps happen with trailers too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use some of the steel curved ramps for my 318. I actually walk up beside it holding the seat down. For one thing it doesn't add my weight, and if it gives I can get out of the way.

I broke a ramp loading a Kubota 6000 on a trailer. Luckily I was able to get off, put my shoulder against the thing, and with the cleated tread it still climbed up on there and I shut the ignition off when it got where I wanted it. But, it is a good way to get hurt.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I have a $250 or so Harbor freight trailer that is 4x8 that works perfect for hauling GT's. I have had it for 10 years and is still a great trailer. Paint is faded - butthat is about it. It even folds up against a wall for storage. I use to this when I lived in town. Now that I have an acerage - I don't fold it up. The tariler works great behind a 318 as a garden trailer as well. The only bad part is that it pretty narrow so when I pull it behind my Tahoe it is hard to see in the mirrors. But with a pickup - you could just put your tailgate down and see it out your back window. You can the front of it in this picture.

318 with JB (trailer).JPG

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here is a set of ramps I built to load mowers and have worked well. They were made to rest on the truck bumper and felt safer than loading on the tailgate.

They have been used on trucks up to a late model Chevy 4x4 and a GX series mower.

The cost to build was around $25.00 and an hours time.

Material list;
2 - 8'-2x8's
4 - 8'-2x3's
Box of 3" drywall screws
Wood glue
Foam tape
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow JD-Jeff, that is quite a set of ramps. Good job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts