My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird tecumseh carb I've had sitting in a parts bin. Pulled it out the other day and noticed it has no choke or primer. Never seen one like it, so thought I'd share a couple pics.

Attachments

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Probably a snowblower carb, that had an external primer, or choke...

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Old European bikes used to have 'ticklers' which was a plunger than you pushed down that then pushed the float down thereby allowing fuel to flow into the floatbowl and into the carb throat and via the bowl vents out onto the crankcases.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looked up the patent number. Was a bit hard to read, but got it. Patent No. 3780996 Its called a self-priming carburetor.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Original application was Craftsman Eager1 push lawnmower. Whole engine and carburetor branded craftsman but made by Tecumseh.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
The appearance reminds me of the carb on a Lauson used on a Toro of the early 1960's.

I have a Sears with a Tecumseh that has no choke, nor does it have a primer bulb. Somehow it 'knows'. I've had it apart to clean at least once, but didn't pay attention to the lack of choke or primer. This spring, I put some gas in the tank, waited a few, pulled it over to the compression stroke and gave it a strong pull. It didn't start. It did start the second time I did that. It's the model that has a vertical recoil, more or less rectangular plastic 'hat' covering the engine & gas tank, and a 3 position throttle knob just above the carburetor. Off, low and high.
tom

·
15,000 +posts!
20,335 Posts
My dad had a Craftsman push mower from the 70's like that....tecumseh engine,all it had was an on-off toggle switch on the recoil cover,and the recoil was the type you pull straight up to start it...the cover had "Eager-1 Engine" printed on a decal,and the carb had a knob with lo-med-hi- settings on it sticking out of the recoil cover,and the carb was called an "Auto-Magic" carb--no choke,primer bulb or any adjustments on it at all....that thing always started within one or two pulls and ran great...I wish I had kelp it now,we sold it for 15 bucks at a yard sale when we moved..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am looking for any info available on these engines and carbs. I would also like to know the value of the engine I have pictured. Does anybody have any info on any of the engines that use that carb? I have a Craftsman 131.978210 mower with a 143.334082 engine on it, here is a pic of the engine.

·
5,857 Posts
Hi S-Engines NW
..this is a pretty old thread, but TractorHolic is still quite active and has always offered some good information on those old engines,,,,if you don't see a response from him in the next day or so...reach out to him in a PM and see if he responds

·
15,000 +posts!
20,335 Posts
I'm still here--but I'm afraid what I posted earlier (7 years ago!) was about all I know about those carbs..

I have piles of old carbs in my shed and I may have one that had that red throttle control knob arrangement,but I don't think it is complete,I may only have the throttle control itself,not the carb too..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm still here--but I'm afraid what I posted earlier (7 years ago!) was about all I know about those carbs..
The one I have runs great, but I would like to know how much they are worth, or how uncommon/rare the the engine is.
In your 15,000+ posts, you appear to have read many conversations. Do you know anyone who might be able to help?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
If you think you can distinguish that carb from others visually, you may do a picture search using the web, and find another somewhere that may be for sale or sold. Take a picture, and then do a picture search. The google monster will report matches and the URL of a link to see them.
Other than that, it is only worth what someone will pay. I don't know of there being any particular collectibality about them.
tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts