My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably make my own trailer since I have lots of metal, wood and wheels/tires around to build one from. But I'm guessing my home built would be close in weight to a manufactured trailer. I would need at minimum a 5x10 but maybe a 5x12, 6x10 or 6x12. I would be hauling my Toro 520xi with 60" deck and one Swisher 60" pull type mower. Next time I'm at my shop I should measure the entire width of the 60" deck on my 520xi with the deflector pointed up.

·
22,354 Posts
Your Toro is going to be more than 5' wide.

The trailer should weigh between 650 and 1000 lb, depending on how it's constructed, the materials used, and its size. Adding a second axle will raise the weights suggested by close to 200 lb.

That is, if you want it to be durable and stable enough to transport your grass cutter.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want it to be a single axle trailer and was hoping it could be a 2999 pounds and under trailer so it would not need brakes. I might not make that goal.

·
22,354 Posts
Why not? The Toro probably goes about 800 - 900 lb and the Swisher shouldn't be more than 600 lb. Even with a 1000 lb trailer, you still have a safety margin of 500 or more lb. Probably a lot more, I'm trying to overestimate.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1014 Toro 520xi
320 60" Toro deck
30 gas
=1364
500 for the Swisher 60".
I will have more stuff on the trailer so I think I'll be over 3000.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Your going to need a minimum of 6' width, my 520H with the 60" deck (steel deflector) barely fits on my 6' 6" trailer (between the sides) with the deflector up. You should be fine on weight, should be able to keep trailer net to about 1000lbs even with sides if you use an angle frame instead of channel, or use channel without high or heavy sides.

I would personally do at least a 6x12, preferably a 6.5x12 with the 60" decks, trust me once you pull the mower on there isn't much room for error or manuvering if you have sides.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I measured the 60" deck on my Toro 520xi with the deflector up and its 64 inches. I am rebuilding my little boat trailer with another bed that I will make from used treated 2x10 boards. This trailer will have a front wall and sides that can be raised up or swung outwards so I can load the 520xi with 60" deck and then swing the sides back in and close the rear gate. I will start a new thread for this trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts