My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 80 acres with some steep hillsides. It is clear land and I have graded and reseeded the rough areas but it is still steep. I mow these hillsides with a rotary mower (Bush Hog 295, about 1000 lbs, 3 point hitch). Most of the areas I mow going up and down the hill. But you still have to turn at the bottom on some steep terrain. I have a 5055D JD. It is 55 hp and weighs 4200 lbs w/o weight or implements. I put the front weight bracket on (147 lbs) and attached 266 lbs of suitcase weight. But I wanted to lower the center of gravity for those turns on steep terrain so I made a support for mid-weights. I used heavy angle iron of mild steel and a 2 inch mild steel pipe to rig something akin to a barbell that bolts (20 mm bolts) to the two bolt taps that are used for mid mount implements. I purchased barbell weights and put 85 lbs on each side. The weights hang low and are attached beyond the body of the tractor. This gives them some leverage much like someone leaning out of a vehicle toward the uphill side when traversing steep slopes. There is still plenty of clearance. The weights are held on the 2 inch diameter pipe by heavy duty muffler clamps. I can quickly remove the clamps and slide weights off and on to adjust the weights as I need to in the field if for some reason I want to weight one side more than the other. Anyone have any experience with this kind of set-up. I have not employed it yet as it has just turned very wet here and we may not get back in the field now until next year. I would greatly appreciate comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
753 Posts
what part of ky are you in and how steep are the grades? photos or video link would be nice
here is a video of my old oliver with the bush hog at work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox89n-x0ESI

is the 5055 a 2wd or a 4wd, and are the tires loaded?

i used a 7.5' john deere model 717 mower behind a 2wd 5210,( the tractor in my avitar) basically the same tractor as the 5055, on some very steep grades and there are times when it is light with a full rack of front weights, when making turns at the top of steep grades.

since tearing up the 3 point hitch john deere this summer, I pulled out a old 6' trail type woods bush hog, I like it much better than the 3 pt hitch type because the weight is not on the tractor

the trail type keeps the weight low and centered , and is much easier on the grades.

another thing you can do is spread out the wheels to get it as wide as possible

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am near Mt Olivet in Robertson County. I should measure the degree or percent slope on some of the hills but right now I have not measured a slope in so long that I will not try to guess. I will state that the slopes are steeper than the ones in your youtube. The JD 5055D is the 2wd, the 5055E is the 4wd. Everything else is the same. The back tires are fluid filled. You make a good point about the trail type versus the 3 point. Would you suggest more weight in the front? I plan to spread the wheels. Should that be done on both the front and the back?

By the way, the landscape in your part of KY looks much drier. The land is steep here but it has very rich soil and is very lush with grasses and clover. It will grow into a hardwood forest in no time if you do not keep it mowed. Plus the mowing really brings on good pasture!
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
753 Posts
i know where you are at , i have a son that lived in winchester for several years,

i am in hart county in the knobs along the green river, and i would say that terrain is close to what you have there. are hills are steep but maybe not as tall as in your neck of the woods

the first video you saw was shot in early march before things greened up, here is a video that shows it in march and june,2011, that gives some better shots of the terrain,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l0BBO1dc90

hang as many weights on the front as you need to keep it down, move the tires out on both the front and rear, for stability,

do not use a standard third arm in the 3 point hook up, replace the centerlink/third arm with a section of chain, this will allow the rear of the mower to kick up and slid over obstacles,and will help prevent scalping as you cross ditches ect. but the chain will lift the bush hog when you raise the lift arms, i often will use my three point mowers without any center link/third arm hooked up at all, this makes it act like a trail unit, espesially on the older tricycle front tractors, they can really get light in the front
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlvMEBXijYQ

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the video. I like the idea about the centerlink. I will try to get you a picture of the mid mount weights and one of the steeper hills. I was in graduate school at Morehead State University from 72-74 with a guy from Hart county. I don't remember his name now. I went out west in 1980 and only returned a year ago. I was in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. I bought the 80 acre farm about six years ago. First thing I got was a Cat D3G 2005 dozer. Have cleaned up the place and smoothed out the rougher land. I have seeded a lot of acres and now have some excellent pasture. Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ky Wonder, here is a picture of my mid-mount weights and a couple shots on a wet day of the farm. On the back side of the ridge, it really gets steep!

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

·
Registered
753 Posts
the weight bracket is unsual but should work fine to give you some added weight, again i would look at getting a trail type mower they will make a great deal of difference, on that steep ground.
i just picked up another old trail type bushhog model 306 friday night at a local consignment auction for $300. ( this is the model that made bush hog famous) and it works great, it aint real pretty, no paint left at all, but the box was full of oil and it cuts great .

i have started buying old units to use on lonesome hollow, because of the limestone rocks that keep growing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard there are autions like thatvhere in Maysville. I have only been back one year now. I was out west for about 30 years. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts