My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back, I posted about my neighbor who had problems plowing his steep concrete driveway with his 317. Overall consensus was that he needed more weight in the rear, more than the cast iron wheel weights he already had. Well, since there is not a built-in weight bracket on the tractor, we looked at a weight bracket designed specifically for the 317 offered by someone on eBay. I think it was $150 plus $30 shipping. Then he was considering 4 suitcase weights for the rear. Total investment = $447 after taxes for 168 pounds of weight. I told him before he pulled the trigger on the expensive setup, we should just try to make our own. I told him that I thought I could design a weight out of concrete, with a sleeve hitch for under $30. A savings of $420 solely to be used on beer! The weight would be easily removed and stored come grass cutting season. I had some scrap 2” square tube, some unistrut, some angle, and a crappy welder. All we would need to buy is is a sleeve hitch, some concrete, some rebar. I welded all the pieces together to create a rigid frame within the concrete, formed a box around the 2” square tubing. Leaving the top open for the “handles”. All went well. Used two 80 pound bags of concrete to make a block 13.5” x 13” x 13”. It weighs in at 183 lbs and I even painted it JD green from left over paint I had from a set of cornhole boards I made. Total cost = $28. Here’s the set up.....

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just took off the hitch plate that was already on there and reused the 5/8 carriage bolts. Here is a pic of it on the machine. Don’t mind my crappy weld job. I am in the market for a stick welder and then I will modify the harbor freight flux core to DCEN for better penetration.

That is 3/16 angle. I really wanted to use 3/8 plate and make a setup like the second picture, but that would have added to the cost. The whole point was to do it under $30, just to say I did it. If the hitch (welds) ever fails, I’ll just make a new one with thicker stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just took off the hitch plate that was already on there and reused the 5/8 carriage bolts. Here is a pic of it on the machine. Don’t mind my crappy weld job. I am in the market for a stick welder and then I will modify the harbor freight flux core to DCEN for better penetration.

That is 3/16 angle. I really wanted to use 3/8 plate and make a setup like the second picture, but that would have added to the cost. The whole point was to do it under $30, just to say I did it. If the hitch (welds) ever fails, I’ll just make a new one with thicker stock.
Very nice. The frame has no problem holding the weight?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. The frame has no problem holding the weight?
No, not at all. We tested it before I poured the concrete. It was able to hold me bouncing on the end of the 2” tube and there was no flex in the frame at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing I would have done differently is to have the weight a little closer to the frame. But then if you get it too close, then you might have clearance issues with your arms trying to insert the hitch pin.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sweet setup. He got a receiver out of the deal too...nice to be able to mount a carryall for a lot of jobs the rest of the year.

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,307 Posts
:thThumbsU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts