My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I have an addiction!!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built a box out of steel and will be mounting it on the back of my Custom. After doing some searching here I have found several good pics of others weight boxes but I was hoping to gather more. I am most curious as to what else you put on your box, such as a trailer hitch, tool slots, etc... The sky is the limit so show me what you've got!!!

Thanks in advance,

Greg

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nothing fancy here :) just an old milk crate and some scrap iron and a bag of ready mix......

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
Here is one of mine. I have two that are identical.
You can see the build of it here
It is approx. 1/2 full with 200 lbs of bolt and then I have a sheet of plywood on top of the bolts. This gives about 1/2 the box to have tools, straps and other items in when I drive around.

I also have one with a winch mounted on it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nothing fancy here :) just an old milk crate and some scrap iron and a bag of ready mix......
What is that attached to the underside of the hitch hole? Is that an iron bar?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,223 Posts
I built this weight box about 20 years ago and it currently isn't being used but I've had it on several different tractors over the years.
The weights are made out of 1x3 solid steel bar stock.
If I remember right, the shorter ones weigh around 12 pounds each and the taller ones weigh around 15 pounds each.

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
I like the winch idea. In regards to being mounted up high or down low, is up high better since it would be pulling down when in use and adding traction?
I mostly only use the winch when the tractor is stationary. If I have to pull something I am using a tow strap instead.
When pulling you want it to attached below the level of the axle to prevent the tractor from lifting the front off the ground (or even rolling all the way over).

When I use the winch I usually lower the box down so it sits on the ground. I normally have the FEL on also and I will tip the bucket so it digs into the ground if I am winching something very heavy. That will prevent the tractor from sliding backwards.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
What is that attached to the underside of the hitch hole? Is that an iron bar?
Its part of the mount for my home made plow, I didn't want it pushing from the front axle so I made a frame so that it pushes from the rear hitch :fing32: takes the strain from the front axle.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Its part of the mount for my home made plow, I didn't want it pushing from the front axle so I made a frame so that it pushes from the rear hitch :fing32: takes the strain from the front axle.
Nice! That's like what I have seen some ATV plows do. Transfers all the pushing stresses back the rear where the drive shaft is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.