My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heckuva problem for a Small engine forum eh?

This thing has been a pain for a long time. Just recently I discovered a crack in outside of the tank. That's new. It makes me think the other problems are maybe more cracks in where I cant see them.
Is this something we repair? Do we get a new Case? how about a Replacement Tank liner?
I went to the Weedeater site. They had one assembly available for $35.
So what do we glue this thing together with?
weedeater cracked tank..jpg

·
Banned
2 Posts
i hate weed eaters i dont even fix them anymore i tell all my customers to go buy a new one ..They sell them so cheap now ..most repairs cost more then the darn things are worth new ...I will fix a sthil or a 4 stroke Honda as they cost alot new and you can still make a little profit on it ....some stores here sell them for 69 bucks with a 2 year warranty

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my local guy feels the same. People just stack him up with them though so he takes the money.
Chainsaws too. He refuses Go-Karts though.
We are buddies so he wont work on mine either but offers me condolences as he sends me out the door.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Yeah, my local guy feels the same. People just stack him up with them though so he takes the money.
Chainsaws too. He refuses Go-Karts though.
We are buddies so he wont work on mine either but offers me condolences as he sends me out the door.

lol well good to know i ant the only one....I wont even fix mine ..Ijust buy a new one lol go figure ....I dont do go carts or those little pocket bikes ether you cant find parts for the *** things and if you do you will pay large for the parts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Son got his A&E some years ago when he was pretty young.
I got him a job with a guy who rebuilds wrecked Cessna's.
Soon he said: "Dad, I don't like working on this little crap!"
And he got a job working on C-130 cargo aircraft.

So he looks on Cessna/Piper etc like we look onto Weed eaters.

I remember going through a Cash Register Factory and watching people assemble those 800 parts n' washers, adjustments etc right in front of me.

If we knew the Weedeaters, like those assemblers knew those Registers, we could make the Weedeaters brand new in minutes if not seconds.

·
Banned
2 Posts
My Son got his A&E some years ago when he was pretty young.
I got him a job with a guy who rebuilds wrecked Cessna's.
Soon he said: "Dad, I don't like working on this little crap!"
And he got a job working on C-130 cargo aircraft.

So he looks on Cessna/Piper etc like we look onto Weed eaters.

I remember going through a Cash Register Factory and watching people assemble those 800 parts n' washers, adjustments etc right in front of me.

If we knew the Weedeaters, like those assemblers knew those Registers, we could make the Weedeaters brand new in minutes if not seconds.

this is very true lol only if we had access to the parts like they do lol

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most weedeater complaints are the Carb, those fuel lines, or the pull cord eh?
Occasionally the Mag or worse yet, the man caused contaminated fuel issue where they poured the last of the Fuel can into the Weedeater tank and the condensation from the fuel supply tank went into the weedeater tank.

Would it be possible to make a kit for a selected Weedeater that included a Rebuilt carb, new lines n' filter?
A 15 minute rebuild job eh?

You'd have to put up a sign: "Minimum $40 for Weedeater service!"

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
this is very true lol only if we had access to the parts like they do lol
Depending on whats wrong with it i may fix it rather than buy another since I have tons of parts from my giant scale RC days but with Weedeater being so cheap $49 at Wallmart you might as well get a new one. IMHO

Hmmmm just found a tuned pipe wonder if I have a big bore carb to match ?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Most weedeater complaints are the Carb, those fuel lines, or the pull cord eh?
Occasionally the Mag or worse yet, the man caused contaminated fuel issue where they poured the last of the Fuel can into the Weedeater tank and the condensation from the fuel supply tank went into the weedeater tank.

Would it be possible to make a kit for a selected Weedeater that included a Rebuilt carb, new lines n' filter?
A 15 minute rebuild job eh?

You'd have to put up a sign: "Minimum $40 for Weedeater service!"

yes this is true ..Some places here wont sell a cab rebuild kit any more you have to buy the hole carb for $50 just for the cheap ones ..The thining i hate most is the gas lines and that little filter in side the tank ..trying to find them can be a real pain in the back side .

·
Banned
2 Posts
Depending on whats wrong with it i may fix it rather than buy another since I have tons of parts from my giant scale RC days but with Weedeater being so cheap $49 at Wallmart you might as well get a new one. IMHO

Hmmmm just found a tuned pipe wonder if I have a big bore carb to match ?

lol :trink39:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
yes this is true ..Some places here wont sell a cab rebuild kit any more you have to buy the hole carb for $50 just for the cheap ones ..The thining i hate most is the gas lines and that little filter in side the tank ..trying to find them can be a real pain in the back side .
Are you kidding ?

How many of the filters do you want ?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
if you really wanna fix cracks use jb-weld,
or might find a parts head on flea bay cheap

·
Banned
2 Posts
Are you kidding ?

How many of the filters do you want ?

none i tell them to go buy a new one lol..I cant repair one for what they can buy a new one for ..Plus i am not really a 2 stroke fan ...I like lawnboy and the older 2 strokes but i find the saws and the trimmers today are just junk and a waste of time and money ,...my batt operated one has been a great trimmer have it 3 years now never had a prob yet

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
none i tell them to go buy a new one lol..I cant repair one for what they can buy a new one for ..Plus i am not really a 2 stroke fan ...I like lawnboy and the older 2 strokes but i find the saws and the trimmers today are just junk and a waste of time and money ,...my batt operated one has been a great trimmer have it 3 years now never had a prob yet
True they are cheaper to replace than fix nowadays.

I love the two stroke stuff I would love to get Suzuki GT 550 again man theres nothing like a two stroke motorcycle.

And I like the little ones also some of the ones in RC boats we modified would turn 14,000 rpm, they even have superchargers for them now ! Can you believe that ?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Heckuva problem for a Small engine forum eh?

This thing has been a pain for a long time. Just recently I discovered a crack in outside of the tank. That's new. It makes me think the other problems are maybe more cracks in where I cant see them.
Is this something we repair? Do we get a new Case? how about a Replacement Tank liner?
I went to the Weedeater site. They had one assembly available for $35.
So what do we glue this thing together with?
View attachment 115722
I just thought of a possible fix, depending on how bad the tank is you could try E-6000 glue ?

I'ts sold thru Jo Anns and Michels craft stores, I know it sounds weird but I've used it to fix things I never thought it would like a nylon rear cowl an a bike.

The guy brought it back thinking that it didn't hold and when we took it off it had broke in a new place, the joint I had glued was stronger than the material that it was made of.

Attachments

·
Banned
2 Posts
True they are cheaper to replace than fix nowadays.

I love the two stroke stuff I would love to get Suzuki GT 550 again man theres nothing like a two stroke motorcycle.

And I like the little ones also some of the ones in RC boats we modified would turn 14,000 rpm, they even have superchargers for them now ! Can you believe that ?

I had a 2 stroke bike i didnt mind that to much ...I didnt get in to the RCs much my buddy had all that stuff ...I was into classic cars from the time i was 8 till now my dad had a 62 dart ugly as heck ..that was my first project he had me out there every chance he got ..Thats what i do in my spare time if i am not out fishing lol

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Thudpucker, those old Weed Eater brushcutters like you have are pretty sturdy old machines. Assuming yours runs well otherwise I think its worth fixing. Even if you have to spend $35.00 on a new case thats still better than $100+ for a new one. The $69.00 ones you see everywhere are just little bent shaft grass trimmers, not brushcutters like yours. A complete parts machine or even just powerhead would be your best bet. They come up on Craigslist quite a bit.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I had a 2 stroke bike i didnt mind that to much ...I didnt get in to the RCs much my buddy had all that stuff ...I was into classic cars from the time i was 8 till now my dad had a 62 dart ugly as heck ..that was my first project he had me out there every chance he got ..Thats what i do in my spare time if i am not out fishing lol
Wish I had kept it, it's worth some change now.

I went thru the classic car sickness also until I figured out that having one or three was really straining the bank account, the RC thing was just as much fun and didn't cost near as much to enjoy.

I'm still into RC boats and aircraft but I'm sorry I wont give up the bikes ! LOL

1 - 20 of 55 Posts