My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a relatively young yard, I seeded it 2 years ago this May. Unfortunately, a thunderstorm blew in later in the week and blew much of the seed away so the grass didn't come in terribly thick and the weeds filled in. So the question of the day, do I go with a "weed and feed" application or a fertilizer with crabgrass preventer? Last year, I applied a fertilizer with a crabgrass preventer and minimized any crabgrass growth, but I didn't make much progress against the other weeds. My gut says to apply the weed and feed this year. I live in Iowa so we are just this weekend starting to see a little greening up of the grass.

Thoughts?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Weed&Feed I would use. Crabgrass preventer will not let grass seed germinate if you overseed your lawn. :trink40:

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
If you are planning on seeding very soon, use the weed and feed. If you are looking at seeding in the fall, a crabgrass preventer in fertilizer would be good to use (Dimension is one product) Crabgrass preventer prevents any seed from germinating for at least 3 months.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Weed and Feed has zero effect if there are no weeds actively growing; the bag should state this in its instructions. The primary weed-killing ingredient is usually 2,4D which is only effective when absorbed through the leaves.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Weed and Feed has zero effect if there are no weeds actively growing; the bag should state this in its instructions. The primary weed-killing ingredient is usually 2,4D which is only effective when absorbed through the leaves.
Forgot about that (dont use it) and the grass must be wet from either dew or rain when you apply it, otherwise it wont stick to the leaves and be effective.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts