My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1201 - 1220 of 1250 Posts
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,201 ·
The models show it moving east across Florida out to the Atlantic. In fact, they said if it became a tropical depression it would be called Mindy. I think earlier it was just a small disturbance.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,192 Posts
Yesterday's (Wednesday) predictions by our local TV's weather guesser were that we would get severe thunderstorms starting at noon and lasting until midnight of the 9th. The storms would include lightning, 60 mph winds, quarter sized hail, torrential rain up to 2" per hour, flash flooding, basically everything besides blue balls of hellfire. What we actually got was intermittant sun for most of the day. The rain did arrive with some thunder around 11:00 PM and lasted for maybe 2 hours or less. No high winds, no hail, no tornadoes.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Well, well, well! We are beginning to get the Tropical Storm Nicholas bands of rain as it passes through to the East. They are predicting it to be a soaker with a few inches by the time it ends sometime around Friday or Saturday.

I was just saying to myself yesterday that this has been one rainy year. We already have over 65 inches of rain so far this year with 3 more months to go. The long hot dry days of Summer just seem not to have happened this year as every few days we get thunderboomers and rain. It only got into the 120's Heat Index for a few days. My yard has remained wet most of the time. There's a small section where I won't even venture into with the wheeled string trimmer much less the 900 pound XT3 GSX.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
Normally we have all the rain here mostly by mid July, not this year, my grass has never been this green for an entire summer. It was a dry spring and wet summer as I could mow the entire yard early in the year but now the area behind the french drain is too wet to mow. The neighbor nearly stuck his Kubota BX2360 in there a week ago.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,875 Posts
Wow, we could use a bunch of that here in the Pacific Northwest! Everything is tinder-dry, wildfires all around. Up here on the side of the mountain, everybody's being really super-careful; a spark from a mower can set off a wildfire, so nobody's mowing. And in stuff like this, I've seen them spread as fast as 30 MPH.

We haven't had rain since mid-June, really rare for us. We might get some on Friday and Saturday; that would be nice to knock down this awful tan dust that gets into and all over everything. You go outside, and pretty soon you can taste it. There's literally no color anywhere; everything is just varying shades of tan.

One station said that it's been 93 days since we had rain. I can believe it.

·
Super Moderator
11,478 Posts
Happy to report beautiful weather here on Long Island's South Shore this morning...about 71* and the sun is shining brightly....warm enough to be nice out....not too warm for working out there...the kind of day it is Great to be alive 👍

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
Nice beautiful sunny start here in NW PA today too. One of those days when you just enjoy doing something outside because the weather is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Still have the clouds and occasional rain left over from TS/Hurricane Nicholas that are passing through the area. Very brief periods of sun. Doing laundry today since I'm down to the last couple of shirts, first load is outside on the line with a slight 1-4 mph breeze. Next up is using the wheeled string trimmer on the severely sloped right of way. Nice thing about the wheeled string trimmer is that it doesn't make any difference if the conditions are wet or dry, it cuts the same. We've had so much rain that the ground almost squishes with each step, 65 inches so far this year.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
They (the weather forecasters) keep on saying that we are going to be getting massive amounts of rain, greater than 3-5 inches, yet I'm still waiting for it. Ever since TS Nicholas, they have been saying it which has been a week now. Most we got any one day was just a bit over an inch with most days well under a quarter inch. Like today, they are predicting 2 inches and we have gotten a whole 0.07 inches so far. Yes, there are rain clouds in The Gulf and coming almost straight North, but soon as they hit land about 60 miles South, they lose most of their moisture. Of course with the ground being as saturated as it is, they always have the Flash Flood warnings posted. Even the creek is only about an inch or two above normal.

5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,215 ·
Flaken, my radar screen shows you getting rain from now until 930PM.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Yeah, I can hear the drops on the metal roof, so just been reading books. Still, we now have a whopping 0.10 inches of rain. Did get the first load in off the line and most of the wheeled string trimmer work done. Tried to go in the wet section and sank past my ankles in the glop several times before the rain became too much.

5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,217 ·
Stay out of the glop. Its so hot here, after it rains hard it dries out fast. I cut my grass last evening after it rained in the morning. The clippings were dry.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Nothing has had a chance to dry out any this year, it seems. It was forecast earlier that we were to get another couple inches and that has never come about. While the rain never really stopped, it never really began either as in the 3 hours since we've gotten another 0.02 inches giving us a grand total of 0.13 inches for the day. It's been over a week now where the humidity hasn't been less than 75% and most times hovering around 97%, or the limit of my weather station. Been quite cold last few days, staying around the low 70's day & night.

·
Premium Member
12,081 Posts
Happy to report beautiful weather here on Long Island's South Shore this morning...about 71* and the sun is shining brightly....warm enough to be nice out....not too warm for working out there...the kind of day it is Great to be alive 👍
I was on the north-western coast of Long Island Sound this weekend (southern CT, not far from NYC). The weather was all over the place!

Pretty warm and overcast on Friday.

Mostly cloudy Saturday, more breeze than expected, but not great for sailing. Rained in the afternoon for about 30 minutes, then the wind died completely.

Cooler yesterday morning, but the full sunshine helped warm things up. The breeze was also much better than the forecast, which is always nice!

Back home, it's now cooler than it has been lately. Highs in the 70s, dropping into the 50s at night.

Beats the years with the heat waves in September!

Mike

1201 - 1220 of 1250 Posts