My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good idea, it's worth a try.

The output of some generators smooths out a bit when powering a significant resistive load. The blender would be an inductive load.

You might try the same approach, but using something that's a big heater. Toaster oven, space heater, hair dryer, even a toaster, for instance.

I will give that a try. Th

·
Registered
137 Posts
Friends with a new kitchen had the same issue. Have a fancy toaster with a display and the toaster wouldn't work on gen power.

Too many electronic things in ordinary appliances these days. Will look into an inverter generator.

Now, if we can just get cable, internet, and landline phone to work here it would be nice. Those have been out since last Tuesday afternoon - 5 days now.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I understand, Fcarp! When Michael (CAT 5) passed almost directly overhead in 2018, it wiped out almost the entire electrical infrastructure of the county. Took just over a month to completely replace it all through the rather large 1000 sq mi county. In the meantime, nothing worked anywhere from gas stations to grocery stores.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I understand, Fcarp! When Michael (CAT 5) passed almost directly overhead in 2018, it wiped out almost the entire electrical infrastructure of the county. Took just over a month to completely replace it all through the rather large 1000 sq mi county. In the meantime, nothing worked anywhere from gas stations to grocery stores.

Obviously, a CAT 5 hurricane is a significant event. Even with the best of planning, it's going to take a LONG time to recover....

Internet and TV just came back up this morning. Still no landline.

Still 100K people in CT in the dark. Lots of trees up here that are down and need to be cleared before power can be restored.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Yeah, Michael was an odd event. Took many months before they even determined if it was a CAT 4 or a CAT 5 from those that weren't in the path. Utility tree trimming only goes so far, but can't when the entire tree is uprooted to fall over the wires which then takes out the poles. The electrical infrastructure is almost unknown to many people not in the business. Those transformers on the poles are not cheap to replace and many electric companies only keep so many in inventory. The transformers on the ground are even more expensive and can cost many millions of dollars each usually built to order with long lead times. Another problem is the alternative energy (wind & solar) hookups to the electrical grid that may or may not be known to the workers doing the repairs.

I have a rural electric company across the highway from me, oddly enough they don't service my lines! They were working 24/7 for over 6 weeks with crews from all over the southeast portion of the USA to get things back up. There was a constant stream of delivery vehicles supplying all the workers all day and night.

3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The power company probably lost a few substations and like Flaken states they probably are running around looking for parts to make repairs.

3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Tropical storm Laura heading towards the Gulf may become a hurricane this Tuesday. Looks like it may hit La. and Miss. coast Wednesday evening.

025918_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind 8-21-20.png

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Oh yes, I've been watching ever since they form off the coast of Africa, as most of them do. First up is Tropical Depression 14 that may cross the southern Gulf of Mexico and may strike anywhere from Mexico to Louisiana. Then there is Tropical Storm Laura coming almost on it's heels, though may veer further east and north. Actually, both storms may take different paths as trying to definitively nail down where landfall and intensity four and five days out is quite difficult.

Got my new Davis Instruments Vantage Vue on a pole 14 feet up. Should be a good test for what may happen. The fun thing is that I'm getting a new front porch built and then it and the entire roof will be done in metal. May be a race to see what gets here first.

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Just keep the rain away a while longer. I got the excavation done for a new 26x24 parking pads last night. Dont need to to become a pond.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Them graphics showing where the cone may travel are very misleading. Marco entered the Gulf of Mexico and almost immediately began breaking up from the dry wind shear coming from the southwest. The eye of Marco is heading north-northwest towards Louisiana, but the rain component has broken off heading almost due north.

That rain component has been striking our area of the Florida panhandle for the past two days. But that dry wind shear is really impacting the rainfall as it travels north. Over the Gulf of Mexico, the rain storms are quite heavy, but as it crosses the shoreline it dries up to almost nothing. Yesterday, we got around 0.01 inches of rain and today just a little bit more of 0.12 inches.

That is a good thing as my house is tarped awaiting the installation of the metal roof.

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
Them graphics showing where the cone may travel are very misleading. Marco entered the Gulf of Mexico and almost immediately began breaking up from the dry wind shear coming from the southwest. The eye of Marco is heading north-northwest towards Louisiana, but the rain component has broken off heading almost due north.

That rain component has been striking our area of the Florida panhandle for the past two days. But that dry wind shear is really impacting the rainfall as it travels north. Over the Gulf of Mexico, the rain storms are quite heavy, but as it crosses the shoreline it dries up to almost nothing. Yesterday, we got around 0.01 inches of rain and today just a little bit more of 0.12 inches.

That is a good thing as my house is tarped awaiting the installation of the metal roof.
Hope they get it on before Laura jumps on in there!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Laura should be much more to the south as there is a high pressure system moving in from the north-northeast, as Marco passes by. The current local forecasts have around 20% chance of rain over the next several days, which is quite normal.
The roofers are based out of Panama City which is right on the coast and is getting much more rainfall than us here 50 miles to the north. Least it isn't coming through the tarp or underlayment. Much more of a very light rain or drizzle here.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Well, the rain portion that got blown away from the eye of Marco has decided to just hang over me all day today. From the tiny amount of rain this morning of 0.12 inches, it has grown quite a bit to over 2.25 inches for the day, so far.

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
Well, the rain portion that got blown away from the eye of Marco has decided to just hang over me all day today. From the tiny amount of rain this morning of 0.12 inches, it has grown quite a bit to over 2.25 inches for the day, so far.
Got your umbrella up?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
That's cute, PA318Guy!
Ended up with just under 3 inches of rain for the day. Lots of thunderboomers and even a tornado watch, a couple of branches down. Today, we are back in the 90's instead of those chilly 70's.

81 - 100 of 154 Posts