My Tractor Forum banner
2801 - 2820 of 3358 Posts
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,802 ·
Well there was a drizzle of rain but I still cut the grass and cleaned off the mower. It wasn't too bad and I really didn't get wet. It stopped with a nice cool breeze.
I hate them muggy days its like you don't feel like going outside to do chores.

·
Super Moderator
44,036 Posts
Can you put a window air conditioner in the new shed?
No, the vertical sliders don't do handle them, but my son has one of those ones that sit in a room and have a vent to a window, that will work. So I'm probably going to buy him a new one for his bedroom and then move that into the workshop for when I'm in there. But on a hot day that won't keep up to all that steel being warmed by the sun.

6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,805 ·
No, the vertical sliders don't do handle them, but my son has one of those ones that sit in a room and have a vent to a window, that will work. So I'm probably going to buy him a new one for his bedroom and then move that into the workshop for when I'm in there. But on a hot day that won't keep up to all that steel being warmed by the sun.
It would be nice on the hot muggy days to work in there working on projects besides welding. Maybe a Harbor Freight fan be nice. Our house its 73 degrees. The AC runs non stop. It doesn't stop my wife from going shopping but makes me stay home a lot.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,542 Posts
That heat is heading our way for Saturday, but today was another cool, dry, breezy day with none of the showers they were predicting.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
We are in the middle of an absolute beautiful stretch of days just near or over 100° F. Tomorrow is supposed to be 103° F and I'm planning on burning all the cardboard & downed branches in the burn barrel. Should take a good chunk of the day.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,886 Posts
Hot and muggies were back to the DC area today - - we used our a/c for first time since last Thursday. So, not complaining.

Lots of action over the mid-Atlantic this afternoon/evening. Nothing torrential, but we got a couple good soakings and likely more to come overnight. Won’t need to water the garden for a couple days. These storms are moving north-to-south:

World Ecoregion Map Organism Biome

Ecoregion Map World Biome Line

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
@Flaken: Burning outdoors in 100-degree weather? Wow, you're a glutton for punishment...

@UrbanTractor Those showers are part of the system that's missing us at the moment.

Mike

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,886 Posts
@Flaken: Burning outdoors in 100-degree weather? Wow, you're a glutton for punishment...

@UrbanTractor Those showers are part of the system that's missing us at the moment.

Mike
Yeah, it’s a big swath over the mid-Atlantic. New England is just a bit too far east. We are getting a déluge right now.

World Ecoregion Map Atlas Biome

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts

Mike
Got to remember he lives where it never gets cold to our standards. Could be why we seldom had coats on last winter. But the locals always had something on. You could about pick the out of towners out of a crowd. It did feel odd to be in short sleeves while others were wearing winter coats.

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Good point.

Mike

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,886 Posts
Overnight we got quite a bit of rain from those storms. Between 1.75-2.0” - - things are really soaked now. Good timing- - we had been trending a bit drier this past ten days or so. Temps have dropped too.

That frontal boundary system has edged a bit east of us now. Hopefully we are done with it. It is interesting how it remains so well defined north-south:

Ecoregion World Map Line Atlas

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Oh, it gets downright cold here in northern Florida, just not the overly long sustained subzero temperatures that I had to endure for 55 years when I lived in the frigid North. In that frigid North, I often thought that the beautiful warm weather never remained around very long. Here I get to enjoy it for roughly 9-10 months of the year, instead of the 3-4 months there. I enjoy warm weather!
Perhaps it is due to spending a good part of my youth in a non-insulated 2-level farmhouse in Wisconsin built in the 1890's (kitchen was originally a log cabin) with only an oil burning space heater in the living room and a small cast iron wood burning stove in the kitchen for heat. Way too often, I had to break the ice in my bedside water glass to get a drink in the mornings.

I always had the dream that when my working days were over, I would go to where it is warmer. When the opportunity presented itself, I jumped on it and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Oh, it gets downright cold here in northern Florida, just not the overly long sustained subzero temperatures that I had to endure for 55 years when I lived in the frigid North. In that frigid North, I often thought that the beautiful warm weather never remained around very long. Here I get to enjoy it for roughly 9-10 months of the year, instead of the 3-4 months there. I enjoy warm weather!
Perhaps it is due to spending a good part of my youth in a non-insulated 2-level farmhouse in Wisconsin built in the 1890's (kitchen was originally a log cabin) with only an oil burning space heater in the living room and a small cast iron wood burning stove in the kitchen for heat. Way too often, I had to break the ice in my bedside water glass to get a drink in the mornings.

I always had the dream that when my working days were over, I would go to where it is warmer. When the opportunity presented itself, I jumped on it and never looked back.
If it was warm enough for a bed side drinking glass it must not have been to cold.
There were advantages of growing up that way. When the power went out we would have never known it other than the lights didn't work in the morning at chore time.
It's hard to imagine that people still live that way in this country. Some even without electricity or running water.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Heh, heh. The glass was filled with liquid water when going to bed and froze overnight. Gets a bit chilly in Wisconsin, at times. Last time I was there in March of 2003, the entire 10 days it never got above zero F. Naw, you all can have that stuff.

Reactions: Ariens93GT20
2801 - 2820 of 3358 Posts