My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 433 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Hurricane Henri, downgraded to Tropical Storm Henri before landfall, was basically a bust here (and I'm more than OK with that). The forecasts really didn't work out, at least not a pinpoint location.

Yesterday, they were showing landfall (of the eye) on Long Island (NY), with it heading NW from there.

Last night, they changed it to Block Island (RI), with it heading due N from there (eventually straight to my house in MA). TWC sent Jim Cantore to Narragansett, RI...

The actual track did come to Block Island, but then it took a hard left over to Westerly, RI and into CT.

We got some rain (not much), and it was a breezy day, but nothing like some of the 'Noreasters we've had. Peak gusts measured around here were barely 30 mph.

There's definitely some coastal flooding in RI, but they were largely spared the worst.

We've had a number of large trees that have fallen in my area (well inland), several hitting homes.

On the other hand... western MA, CT and eastern NY are getting deluged with rain, which is even stretching over northern NJ and eastern PA! That's supposed to come back over us tomorrow as the storm heads E and back out over the Atlantic.

I've lived through several hurricanes (Bob and Gloria being the worst for us). We're very fortunate in that our geography tends to keep most people safe (compared to parts of the country with no real high ground for miles and miles). But, the rain (and its associated river flooding) can and does kill people, Irene being a real eye-opener for what these things can do, even over 100 miles inland.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Tornado spotted in Central MA earlier today. More rain coming from Henri this afternoon. We're not out of the woods yet, unfortunately...

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Not completely. Expecting some amount of rain to continue overnight. I think the wind is done.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
We had a heat index near 100 yesterday, and today will be in the upper 80s. The lows at night have been over 70, and the humidity has been stifling.

It's supposed to cool down a lot starting tomorrow, get back into the 80s next week, then cool into the 70s the following week. No idea about humidity.

Not that I believe much/any of that beyond a few days, of course...

As for Ida, it looks like that may park inland shortly after making landfall? That would be very bad (heavy rain in some areas for several days).

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
They said all the storms that began with the letter "I" were most destructive storms and they are going to retire using the letter "I". They said Ida maybe the last storm that begins with the letter "I".

These storms were all bad storms.
2017 Irma
2013 Ingrid
2011 Irene
2010 Igor
2008 Ike
2004 Ivan
2003 Isabel
2002 Isidore
2001 Iris
This is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Are they going to scare hurricanes to use different letters??? Of course not. It's just a matter of timing and conditions. My prediction: "J" names will be retired next...

Top Areas of Power Outages
Louisiana764,605
Puerto Rico97,608
Michigan35,235
Pennsylvania24,706
California17,170
Last Updated
8/29/2021, 08:48:49 PM
What's going on in MI and PA? All the news here is talking about is Ida and Kabul.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Gotcha. We went from blistering and humid Thursday and Friday, to much cooler over the weekend. Some rain came through, but nothing severe (sort of miraculously). Lots of cloud cover, though.

Supposed to warm up and get humid again tomorrow.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Wow, that smoke plume is insane!

We're supposed to get a good cool down for the next few days into early next week. Not sure about humidity the whole time, but tomorrow night into Thursday will be the remnants of Ida, which will certainly be wet.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
My wife showed me a FB post of a huge tornado in NJ tonight. Does anyone here know more about that???

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Whoa, that's nuts. I looked at Google maps last night (looking for something else), was in utter shock and disbelief at the major road closures near Philly and Northern NJ and through the metro NYC area.

Roads flooded and damaged in RI and MA as well.

We escaped to the north (White Mountains, NH). I was half joking about escaping Ida (the trip was planned weeks ago, and is one of our annual mini-getaways), but that got WAY uglier than I'd expected.

Our family back in RI and MA are all OK. Hope everyone here stayed safe!

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
We never lost power, and the TV and internet came back on around 10:30 AM. But there was an unrelated casualty. My cable company took away the Grit channel (all cowboys all the time :D) and replaced it with non-stop '70s and 80's sit-coms. No more Audy Murphy movies, instead it's "Different Strokes" and "Designing Women" :mad:.
Ha! Reminds me of a story from my youth (mid-20s)... The cable company ran a special Free HBO weekend. This was in the early days of the boxes they could control remotely (prior to that, they sent a guy out to program, and prior to that, you had to have a pre-programmed box from the main office). Anyway, the shut-off signal apparently failed, so I had free HBO for years. Until I was between jobs, got behind on the cable bill, and they turned off the entire box. When I paid the bill, I got cable back, but the free HBO was gone. Last time I ever got behind on a cable bill, LOL...

Did you see that ocean of water pouring down into the subway with people on the platform. OMG, they look trapped down there.
Yes, 1000% my worst nightmare. Can't imagine the horror of that tidal wave coming down the only way out...

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Happy to report beautiful weather here on Long Island's South Shore this morning...about 71* and the sun is shining brightly....warm enough to be nice out....not too warm for working out there...the kind of day it is Great to be alive 👍
I was on the north-western coast of Long Island Sound this weekend (southern CT, not far from NYC). The weather was all over the place!

Pretty warm and overcast on Friday.

Mostly cloudy Saturday, more breeze than expected, but not great for sailing. Rained in the afternoon for about 30 minutes, then the wind died completely.

Cooler yesterday morning, but the full sunshine helped warm things up. The breeze was also much better than the forecast, which is always nice!

Back home, it's now cooler than it has been lately. Highs in the 70s, dropping into the 50s at night.

Beats the years with the heat waves in September!

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Rained a little today. Supposed to be pretty wet here through some time on Saturday.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Cool here too. We haven't gotten a ton of rain, just enough to keep everything wet...

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Glorious day here ..65* and the sun is shining brightly :)....not a cloud in the sky
Our temps got into the low 70s, but beautiful clear skies for a good portion of the day. Clouds approaching towards sunset. Supposed to rain again tonight.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
We've had nothing but rain from Sunday night through yesterday. Couple of inches in some towns. Everything is still trying to dry out.

Next 10 days look pretty dry.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Lalalalalalalalalala.......

I don't hear any of this....

Lalalalalalalalalala.......

Mike

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Friday was the last 70+ degree day for us up here for a while. High temps this past weekend were mostly in the 50s.

This will be a very wet week, expecting rain every day through Sunday morning, over 4 inches possible over all of that time.

Still no sign of frost/freeze for the next two weeks, so I'm expecting the grass and Knockout roses to keep going. I do need to plant some more of those, hopefully we'll get a dry enough day to get them into the ground.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
My wife sent this to me earlier... This is up in NH, but still too close for comfort here!

Mike

Cloud Sky Fog Asphalt Mode of transport

·
Premium Member
14,940 Posts
Getting ready for a gnarly 24-48 hours here. Noreaster forming, lots of rain and wind expected.

We might catch a break on Thursday before more rain comes in for at least Friday and Saturday.

Temps will be cool/cold through the period, but not freezing yet.

Mike

1 - 20 of 433 Posts