My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Just a balmy 86° today, supposed to hit 90° and above tomorrow. Spending all the time outside getting my tan back.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
That cold front moving in from the north is going to drop our temps down into the high 70's during the day and mid 50's at night for the next four days. Today we have a "Red Flag" day with winds gusting to 30 mph and fires are discouraged. That's kind of a bummer as I have been burning the brush I've been cutting to get to the tree that fell across the creek. Those winds may help dry out the area I burning in as it is quite soft, got the truck stuck yesterday! The 1st garden ever is growing well, corn about shin high and the second seeding of drying beans just poked out. No rain until Saturday early morning.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
This was first mentioned over a week ago, least that's when I heard of it. Actually, it's quite common for the dust storms from the Sahara Desert to cross the Atlantic Ocean, but they usually end up in South America. This one is heading mainly for the Gulf of Mexico. I'm only 60 miles north from the Gulf, but rain is forecast for most of the week, so doubt I'll see any wild sunsets.

It's only going to lessen the hurricane formations for a little while since the dust storm is very dry air. Hurricanes require wet humid air to form.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
The worst name ever for a storm was a Cat 1 hurricane as it crossed Bermuda last night. The problem with this storm is that today as it nears the southern Florida coast it is being subjected by a mid level shear wind which is causing it to break up somewhat then reform. That means that it will be a hurricane (winds over 75 mph) at times and then not a hurricane (winds under 75 mph) at other times. Like winds of 65 mph don't do damage? The mid level shear winds are going to move north instead of east a little later and then force the storm northwards. Very likely if it stays off the Florida shore over water, it will regain strength as it moves towards the Carolinas and points further north.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Well, you may get a few sprinkles of rain from this tropical storm/hurricane as it flies past you.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I understand, Fcarp! When Michael (CAT 5) passed almost directly overhead in 2018, it wiped out almost the entire electrical infrastructure of the county. Took just over a month to completely replace it all through the rather large 1000 sq mi county. In the meantime, nothing worked anywhere from gas stations to grocery stores.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Yeah, Michael was an odd event. Took many months before they even determined if it was a CAT 4 or a CAT 5 from those that weren't in the path. Utility tree trimming only goes so far, but can't when the entire tree is uprooted to fall over the wires which then takes out the poles. The electrical infrastructure is almost unknown to many people not in the business. Those transformers on the poles are not cheap to replace and many electric companies only keep so many in inventory. The transformers on the ground are even more expensive and can cost many millions of dollars each usually built to order with long lead times. Another problem is the alternative energy (wind & solar) hookups to the electrical grid that may or may not be known to the workers doing the repairs.

I have a rural electric company across the highway from me, oddly enough they don't service my lines! They were working 24/7 for over 6 weeks with crews from all over the southeast portion of the USA to get things back up. There was a constant stream of delivery vehicles supplying all the workers all day and night.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Oh yes, I've been watching ever since they form off the coast of Africa, as most of them do. First up is Tropical Depression 14 that may cross the southern Gulf of Mexico and may strike anywhere from Mexico to Louisiana. Then there is Tropical Storm Laura coming almost on it's heels, though may veer further east and north. Actually, both storms may take different paths as trying to definitively nail down where landfall and intensity four and five days out is quite difficult.

Got my new Davis Instruments Vantage Vue on a pole 14 feet up. Should be a good test for what may happen. The fun thing is that I'm getting a new front porch built and then it and the entire roof will be done in metal. May be a race to see what gets here first.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Them graphics showing where the cone may travel are very misleading. Marco entered the Gulf of Mexico and almost immediately began breaking up from the dry wind shear coming from the southwest. The eye of Marco is heading north-northwest towards Louisiana, but the rain component has broken off heading almost due north.

That rain component has been striking our area of the Florida panhandle for the past two days. But that dry wind shear is really impacting the rainfall as it travels north. Over the Gulf of Mexico, the rain storms are quite heavy, but as it crosses the shoreline it dries up to almost nothing. Yesterday, we got around 0.01 inches of rain and today just a little bit more of 0.12 inches.

That is a good thing as my house is tarped awaiting the installation of the metal roof.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Laura should be much more to the south as there is a high pressure system moving in from the north-northeast, as Marco passes by. The current local forecasts have around 20% chance of rain over the next several days, which is quite normal.
The roofers are based out of Panama City which is right on the coast and is getting much more rainfall than us here 50 miles to the north. Least it isn't coming through the tarp or underlayment. Much more of a very light rain or drizzle here.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Well, the rain portion that got blown away from the eye of Marco has decided to just hang over me all day today. From the tiny amount of rain this morning of 0.12 inches, it has grown quite a bit to over 2.25 inches for the day, so far.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
That's cute, PA318Guy!
Ended up with just under 3 inches of rain for the day. Lots of thunderboomers and even a tornado watch, a couple of branches down. Today, we are back in the 90's instead of those chilly 70's.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Too late for that! Had to get a pan out during the deluge for a drip over near the front door. 10 day forecast appears rain free, so they should have the days to get the roof done.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Sustained winds are the strength of hurricanes, not the wind gusts. At 5:00 AM, Laura was at 110 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 130 mph. That is just at the borderline of Cat 2 & Cat 3. It is expected to reach Cat 4 just before landfall somewhere on the Texas-Louisiana border around 1:00 AM Thursday morning.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
And so the race is on to see if my roofers can finish up before the bands of rain from Sally come near. The eye is going to be roughly 120 miles to the south as it moves west. They are predicting 4-6 inches of rain by the time Sally passes.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
They get your roof done Flaken?
Nope!!! It's about 2/3 done. No leaking though even with the inch or so of rain we've gotten. The synthetic felt underlayment covers what the metal doesn't and the rain just slides off.

Rather funny, but all eyes are on Sally as it approaches the Louisiana & Mississippi coastlines. But it is expected to turn due north for a little then turn east. We are likely to be the same distance away as Sally heads east as it did when it went west, about 100 miles.

Quite a cool morning, very cloudy with a half inch of rain, so far. and a warm 78°.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Flaken, when is your johnny bucket and attachments arrive?
Heh, heh, heh! If I don't get flooded out from Sally, perhaps sometime next week. I emailed them yesterday and got a reply earlier today. They said they are waiting on some parts and should ship in a couple of days.
We've gotten just over an inch of rain today that likely is smoothing out the ruts from the contractors taking the back way into my property. It's the easiest way for trucks & trailers to access the front of the house with those long things. Now they are predicting over 5 to as much as 15 inches of rain by the time Sally leaves the area sometime Thursday.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Wow, good luck with all the rain! I hope the roof does ok.

Hopefully the bucket arrives soon.

If you were willing to make a thread with some info, even like about how it attaches, and what the brackets look like, I would appreciate it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see it put to use, and what it can do.
Yeah, I've somewhat noticed that there is very little info here and elsewhere concerning the Johnny Products. For those that don't have the expensive hydraulics, it is a great idea. I can document what I do with pictures and narrative, don't have any of them fancy video thingys.

Just been sitting here listening to the rain and watching the little puddles in the yard get bigger and bigger. It will be interesting to see how much the creek that forms the SE edge of my property rises. Two days ago, it was almost bone dry. I put in height markers this year though I can only see when it gets above five feet deep from the house. It has to pass 7 feet before it overflows the bank and the house sits up about another 7 feet from that and 300 feet away.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Oh, I know that I'll be fine. We only have a little over 2 inches of rain for today all day. Tomorrow when Sally turns back this way we are supposed to get around 5 inches. That's what is predicted but it remains to be seen what the land interaction does to Sally.
Hey! heck of a lot better than when I was homeless living in a tent and Ivan came through Missouri as I rode through on the pedal trike. Stayed at Cooper's Landing on the Missouri River right next to the Katy Trail.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Your assessment is somewhat true with Sally being the only one to hit the US, that is, unless you consider Bermuda to be part of the US. Bermuda is going to get hit with 2 hurricanes in a weeks time. The other ones are remaining out at sea with danger mainly to the shipping.

Since I'm somewhat locked inside as Sally is performing nearby, I've had a chance, more of a morbid curiosity, to see what the MSM is reporting to keep the fear alive. Yes, there are hurricanes out in the Atlantic Ocean, but no, none of them are going to hit the US mainland. There is still uncertainty regarding the storm that just moved off the African coast as to what it is going to do.

A more in depth (non-official) reporting on what the storms in the Atlantic are doing is to check out Tropical Tidbits on YouTube. It is a bit technical weatherwise, but really good info for the layperson. None of the fear gibberish the MSM reports.

Since midnight, we've gotten 2.32 inches of rain and winds gusting up to 30 mph as Sally is 130 miles away and coming closer as it curves back eastward after making landfall. The seed pods from the magnolia tree keep hitting my new metal roof. The pods are about the size of a fist and about as hard.

Have the Davis Instruments Vantage Vue weather station. For some reason, the outdoor sensor died last week. Called Davis and they sent out a new one which I just got put up on Monday. It's getting a workout today!

1 - 20 of 303 Posts