My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Highs in mid 60s (F) yesterday and today here in DC. Temps forecast to drop significantly overnight tonight. Last night @ 10pm we had <1/2” snow forecast for Monday. This morning at 6am it had changed to 3-6”. Now the question is: Blade or blower?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Hard to believe given the temps we had today, but our forecast is now calling for 4-7” of snow/sleet accumulation overnight and tomorrow. Sounds like it will be a typical big slushy. Earlier today when it seemed to be trending downward, I made the command decision: Blade.

Wash, DC forecast:

Product Font Screenshot Material property Web page

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Good to see you, UT! Enjoy the snow! If you like snow.
I like snow well enough at the beginning of the season. But by the end of our short winters I’m usually glad to be done with it. This will be our first snowfall this season - - so I’m looking forward to this one!!
Great to see you too!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
There were thousands of cars stranded for up to 15 hours on I95 in Virginia during the storm yesterday. The snow must have come fast and heavy.
Travelers Stranded
It did come fast and heavy. When I woke during the predawn hours we had a trace. By around 1:00 pm or so we had about 8” of heavy snow. So I guess that is about an inch an hour.

Nearby regions got a lot more than us. On radar, you could see the really heavy bands streaming over certain areas. If a few of those bands passed directly over, you ended up with quite a bit more snow.

Glad I wasn’t on the road!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Snow still here from Monday’s storm. And, the forecast for Thurday night when I got up this morning was 1-3” of snow. Now mid-morning and they have updated to:

“Thursday Night
Snow, mainly after 10pm. Low around 26. Light north wind becoming northwest 5 to 9 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.”

So, it’s trending upward. We’ll see.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Not much has changed ever the past 24 hours. Still holding at 2-4” with possibility of up to 6” in DC area, all coming overnight (same storm/disturbance that is heading into the northeast for Friday.)

So right now looks like more seat time tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see if there is any change with the latest model runs later this morning and afternoon.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Forecast has remained remarkably stable all day. Will be an overnight snow event. Looks like I’ll be out at the crack of dawn pushing snow again, although only about 1/2 or less as much as earlier in the week. Over on the western slope of the Appalachians they will get a lot more (yellow):

World Map Ecoregion Light Line

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Dave, kinda hard to do when it's either the walk behind blower or the plow on the ATV.
I had one on the blower but it gave up the ghost several yrs ago. Besides it only worked one way. When you turned around to come back down the drive you got pummeled in the back. Went to get a new one anyway but the newer design of them leaves a lot to be desired. Not as secure in the mounting.
Now it's full face shied and arctic wear.
MikeC
View attachment 2535505

View attachment 2535506

View attachment 2535507
If I had property and snow like that, no question I’d be sitting in a heated cab and letting the tractor do the work! 👍

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Well truth be told, I have picked up a tractor with blower w/ cab made by member here. Just haven't gotten around to cking everything over and mounting the blower. Guess I'm out of time this go around. :( Maybe next yr. :rolleyes: Course at my age, 77 next month, I keep telling the wife that all the exercise I get is keeping me healthy.
MikeC
Nice!! Congrats!

Any more details? Make/model/photos?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
15* here in DC this morning. Our forecast is down to 1-3” snow with a tenth of ice and some rain thrown into the mix, from this storm sweeping up the coast. It’s going to be very blustery, too. Should arrive here mid-late-afternoon and continue through tomorrow.

Hard to believe it will end up as rain/ice, given current temps.

A lot more snow forecast just a bit west of us farther inland, especially on the west side of the Blue Ridge. We have an “”Advisory”, they have a “Warning”.

As an aside: Could you guys add your general location when you post your weather observations/forecasts? I only see your country/nationality on my device. It would be more interesting to know your region or at least your state/province/territory.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Our snow came in fast this afternoon and due to the cold temps it all stuck. I had to shovel my way back from the garage (where I was working on the 140) to the house.

Snow Tire Automotive tire Tree Freezing

We’re in a lull now. It’s supposed to transition to sleet and rain overnight. Hard to believe given how cold it still feels. I guess it will be a real mess in the morning.

Water resources World Ecoregion Map Natural environment

World Ecoregion Map Green Natural environment

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
You are right. I almost never use salt, but this much ice, this early in the season convinced me. We had another .1" of freezing rain this morning that isn't showing on radar or any weather report I've seen. It's going to be a heck of a winter.

Ice is nasty. In general I try to go easy on the melt products. But with ice, I have no problem taking the “nuclear option”. Imo, it’s fully warranted - - much better than a serious slip-and-fall or trip to the ER.

I recently upgraded my distribution method. I got tired of sprinkling melt product by hand, or with hand held seed spreaders. That method worked okay at our old place, but the new place has about 4-5x the surface areas that need treatment.

I think I may have gone overboard. But it works well enough. Just wish it was about 3/4 the size:

(Having trouble inserting photos)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
@UrbanTractor Is it something you purchased or built/repurchased?

Mike
Mike, it’s a purchase that needed assembly.

Normally I can just copy and paste a photo into a post. But for some reason I am not getting the “paste” option when I return to MTF from my photo album.

Not sure what’s going on - - some kind of glitch I guess.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,840 Posts
Thanks for this tips guys. I am on a portable device so no mouse or “control” keyboard key.

Usually copying and pasting photos is as easy as can be. But today when I tap the location where I want to paste the photo, instead of a “paste” option showing on the screen, I only get a “select” or “select all” option. Very strange.

Tried rebooting. Nada.

So here it is, using the paper clip method (hopefully!):
Font Art Automotive tire Publication Poster
Tire Wheel Wood Floor Flooring

1 - 20 of 125 Posts