My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
We have warmer winters and I'm not complaining. Just stating a fact.
I can remember even in the 1960's winters without snow. We were all worried about how Santa was going to get to our house without snow. That was short lived and passed just like our weather now will. So far this winter we have had some record lows and highs.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
You keep that on your side of the mountain.
They say it supposed to be more seasonal this week. Highs in the 50's and 60's. Cloudy with possible rain.
Talked to the other son back home yesterday. He said it's been nice every since we can south. But we both know January and February are the coldest months.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Rain was supposed to have started 2 pm yesterday. Held out till just after midnight. In all we had a good New Years eve. Little windy and made it feel colder than it really was.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Temps at 48 but can't see a darn thing out there. The fog is horrendous. Glad I'm not going anywhere. Think I can find my way to the shed at bottom of hill, and even if I can't, I'll end up against it if I slip and roll down the hill.

Maybe I'll just go out to the garage. At least that's on paved, level ground (at least what qualifies as level at this place)

MikeC
Don't get lost in the fog. I have read of them finding people frozen to death after snow storms just feet of their front door.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Dipped into the 30's here last night and there was a freeze warnings in the valley. Back into the 50's today and sunny. At home it's cold with snow. There was a reason we headed south this winter. Think it finally arrived.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Quite the common misconception that drivers from far away don't know how to handle things when driving conditions change. Inclement weather challenges everyone, whether or not they experience it often. Many are poor drivers even in the best of conditions. Distractions like cell phone usage, GPS navigation, traveling too fast and a host of other only complicate reaction times across the board.
Ah! You forgot driving to slow. Those that creep down hills and then can't get up the next.
Still think the best driving tip is keep the foot off the brake pedal. There is absolutely no control with four brake's locked up in the snow or on ice.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
With the overnight drastic weather change where we went from 80° F at noon yesterday to 35° F today, we also got high winds to accompany it. Bundled up warmly as I took a stroll about today and saw I have branches down everywhere, Lots of small branches a half inch in diameter to a few that are 4-6 inches thick. Going to take a half day just to get them all picked up. Staying in today as I usually do when the outside temp is below 50° F. Tomorrow is supposed to be around 60° F and will do it then.
Do you start having problems at 50° or is that a safety margin?
That's part of the reason we came south this winter. It took three weeks for the lungs to recover to the point I don't start coughing in the cool air and when doing things. The back thinks it needs a longer break. Sure don't need to be shoveling snow.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
It's nothing that is set in stone, but I just generally do not like having to wear numerous layers of clothes that restrict my movements solely to remain warm. Oh, I've gone the high tech route and the low tech route with clothing, wool to microfiber. I've done numerous winter survival classes and experiences. The thing is that now that I am able to avoid certain situations (retired and in a warmer climate), if I don't have to go out, I don't.

More injuries happen in colder weather than warmer weather, up to and including death. I'm single and have no one else around even to call for assistance the vast majority of the time. It's a much different mindset that one has to adapt to than those that do have others nearby most of the time. If I do get injured (and have), there is no one else around to do the daily chores one has to do like cooking, cleaning, shopping, yard work and everything else. Can't lay in bed having someone attend to me

I have many not so fond memories of leaving a warm place and having to shovel snow or go to work outdoors in below zero temperatures. Those first few breaths where it seems to freeze the lungs until you get used to it, ain't no fun. I lived in Denver for 18 years where it's dry as a bone, humidity wise. The first few months here in northern Florida where the humidity is usually greater than 60% were killer until I acclimated to it.
You close enough to gulf breezes to keep the humidity at that level. Not very often it gets below 60% even here in Missouri.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Eh, 60 miles away due south is the Gulf Of Mexico and 4 miles from Alabama.

Ah Missouri! Spent my boot at Fort Lost In The Woods in the Fall to early Winter 1976! Did the entire Katy Trail on a pedal trike in 2012. Been there many times.
So you got to stay in the naturally air conditioned barracks of the Hood? A friend was in charge of building those. He claims there were no air gaps when the uncured native lumber was installed.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Eh, 60 miles away due south is the Gulf Of Mexico and 4 miles from Alabama.

Ah Missouri! Spent my boot at Fort Lost In The Woods in the Fall to early Winter 1976! Did the entire Katy Trail on a pedal trike in 2012. Been there many times.
We may make it that way some day. But not during hurricane season.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts