My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my X500 a couple of months ago and included a 44" inch snow blower with my purchase. I have installed HDAP tires on the rear for better traction and thinking of getting the JD Weather Enclosure. Having operated walk behind snow blowers in the past and been the receiving end of blowing snow, I was wondering how visibility is with the JD soft enclosure with vinyl windows and no wiper? It would be nice to have some protection from the elements, but I don't want to sacrifice visibility.

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
The company(Original Cab) that make the the soft weather enclosure for the X400 Thru X700 series does make a soft 4 sided cab with a Glass windshield with manual or electric wiper for the Current X500,X520,X530,X534 & X540 here there link and prices http://www.originalcab.com/price_pdfs/General-Public_PriceList.pdf

Hard top cab: $750.00
Glass windshield: $175.00
Wiper electric : $175.00

Hope this Helps:thThumbsU
BTW Heres a good picture of what the cab looks like mounted on my X485

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
My visibility is fine ( not perfect )
You keep the chute aimed low, so as to not have blow-back. It may result in an extra pass or 2 but what does an X500 series care !!!!??
Everyone has seen my pics of it on many times.
I just couldn't or wouldn't come up with the extra $500-$1000 bucks and not one snow flake got on me!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would agree with Sergeant if you have room to store the hard enclosure. I think it is the superior cab. I have the JD which works fairly well for me. So far, I prefer it only because it stores easily and goes on & off quite easy. I don't have any problem seeing thru the plastic. It came out of the box pretty wrinkled, so I gently hit it with a heat gun once mounted which helped. I would expect the hard one would also be a bit more difficult taking on & off. I have had my X540 for 'bout a year now with 1 snow season. I very much recommend that you get plenty of weight on the rear with the snowblower. I first tried with just the 4 JD suitcase weights. Worked just fair, but was marginal backing uphill or once it gets icey. I then added the Rimguard in the HDAPs and reduced to 5 PSI. That made a huge improvement. It is working very well for lawn mowing as well. I also battled the walk behind for years here in Northern Maine and I am very much spoiled now.
Enjoy you Deere!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hard top and windshield with a wiper would be nice but it is more than I want to spend. I can't justify the $1100 for the amount of use it will get. The soft enclosure at around $340 is reasonable and would suit my needs. My main concern is being able to see out without a lot of distortion, especially when it gets wet.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've got a hard cab with glass windshield and wiper. I've used one for several years. If it is heavy wet snow it will build up to a point where you will have to get out and wipe off the windshield no matter what. Even a wiper will have trouble keeping up in certain conditions. The side windows attract the snow too, so you will have to wipe that off too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts