My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Case 644 tractor has not been started for several years. (because of banana plate issues not motor/electrical)

I haven't worked on an ignition system since the 70s
I am getting weak and intermittent spark.
I am thinking of just replacing the coil, condensor and breaker points.

Should the coil be "with internal resistance"? or does the existing system already include resistance?
I have no part numbers for the condensor or the breaker points, where would I order them?

Thanks, answers here have been very helpful

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before spending any money...just hit the points with a light sanding...that may clear it all up....if you need new ones you can get them on Amazon or Ebay...check them both..I find big differences in prices sometimes
Hey Mark,
thanks, I'll clean and adjust the points tomorrow. But the best part about your response is that it reminded me to search engine issues by the engine, not the tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Also check the lugs inside the distributor cap. Ionization can cause a buildup on the lugs, and cause a weak spark. If they are brass lugs, the buildup will have a dark gray, or green look to it, aluminum, gray, or greenish white. You can scrape it off with a pen knife. I've been using the same OEM IH brass lug distributor cap on my Farmall Super C for 20+ years. I normally clean it up every Sping, after going through the Spring sweat. The last two years with all of the rain and high humidity, seems to make the buildup worse, and had to do it a couple times over the summer. The rotor button will also get some on it too, or be like tarnished. A scrape of the knife, or some fine sandpaper to clean it up works too.

·
4,878 Posts
I would just put an emery board between the contacts and pull it out and see if it fires...if you start fooling with the points you may change the timing...see if you can get it going without adjusting first...please let us know what happens

1 - 5 of 5 Posts