My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Cut and hauled a small log from a Plume tree that fell last May. It had some rot and ants in the butt section so we will see what we got when we cut into it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I cut a cant out of the plumb. It has a rotted part, but I should b able to get a few boards out of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I let the plumb tree cant dry all summer and finished cutting into boards this afternoon.

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,551 Posts
Thanks for the update - weather finally getting to wood work temps here

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thanks for the update - weather finally getting to wood work temps here
Yep, same here. We have had a nice October so far with a 2 week stretch of sun and 60*-65* temps. Rains are suppose to be back early next week.

We have lots of wood that still needs to be sawn so I hope to be getting out there soon.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
How do you handle the logs?
Both in the woods and on the saw?
Depends on the size and weight. In the woods I usually drag them out with a chain either to the mill or to where I can load them on a trailer. Our loader tractor can pick up about 2000 lbs. At the mill we sometimes use the loader tractor to set the logs on or we use some ramps and peavey's to roll them up.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
My brother came over and helped cut these Cedars logs to length and haul them to the sawmill. These Cedar logs will all be cut into 1 x 6.5 boards in 10' and 12' lengths for siding on the gable ends of my brothers 12' x 16' shed that he is working on. We milled 3 of the logs today and have 2 more to go. Looks like we should get enough to do the job. I shot some video's also and will post them when uploaded, probably tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
The Video's.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,551 Posts
Thanks - I love to watch your videos

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Thanks - I love to watch your videos
I'd like to get some different views while cutting, but its hard to run the saw and video camera at the same time. I need a GoPro to mount right on the saw.

Wow, that mill really works nice! Band saw seems to cut without binding at all!
They do cut nice with a new blade in them. When it starts getting hard to push you know its time to switch.

·
Administrator
13,702 Posts
That's quite a machine. It looks pretty heavy, but is it light enough for two people to lift off the rails so you can get them on the trailer?

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
That's quite a machine. It looks pretty heavy, but is it light enough for two people to lift off the rails so you can get them on the trailer?
These Cedar logs are pretty light since they have been dead for a year or two. Not much moisture left in them. I could pick up the smaller diameter logs myself and the larger ones I would pick up one end, set it on the trailer, then repeat on the other end.

·
Administrator
13,702 Posts
How about the mill itself?

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
How about the mill itself?
Sorry about that, I thought you meant the logs.

Just to be sure, Are you asking about lifting the carriage off and then putting the axle under the rails?

·
Administrator
13,702 Posts
Yes, I was wondering how hard the mill carriage is to lift. The engine is probably the bulk of the weight. I see that the rails come apart.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Yes, I was wondering how hard the mill carriage is to lift. The engine is probably the bulk of the weight. I see that the rails come apart.
I just went out to check. Its pretty heavy. Two big strong guy's could handle it, but its more than I would want to do. You could lift one side at a time and slide some 2x4 or 2x6 under it and slide the carriage off. We have used our loader tractor to set it in place. That being said you don't need to pull it off to move the saw. Just roll the carriage to the end opposite the hitch, lift the hitch end with a loader or lifting post with come-a-long, mount the transport axle, and lower it back down. Then you bring the carriage back to just ahead of the axle and put the transport clamps on to secure it and its ready to move.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,702 Posts
Great way to transport the mill. Looks easy enough. Thanks for the pictures.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts