My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,330 Posts
I had to stop and let a flock of 6+ wild turkeys cross the road in a rural town nearby I went through just after sunrise yesterday--their numbers have skyrocketed since being labeled a "protected species"...some towns are having trouble with them attacking people ,even in heavily populated cities like Cambridge MA !..
I have had deer leap out in front of me more than once on the same stretch of road too in the past..one morning a car behind me honked at me and then decided to fly past me in a no passing zone on that road,only to have 3 deer leap out in front of him--he was able to swerve and miss them all--I pulled up beside him at a stop sign and said "SEE why I do not SPEED around here ?"...MORON!..

I've learned they almost always travel in pairs,usually a buck leaps out first,then a doe follows close behind..more does get hit and killed for that reason..

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
I have had deer leap out in front of me more than once on the same stretch of road too in the past..one morning a car behind me honked at me and then decided to fly past me in a no passing zone on that road,only to have 3 deer leap out in front of him--he was able to swerve and miss them all--I pulled up beside him at a stop sign and said "SEE why I do not SPEED around here ?"...MORON!..
A couple of years ago I saw a deer running across a field of mown corn straight towards the road so I started to slow down. The idiot behind me in his "big truck" wasn't going to have any of that, passed me in a no passing zone, and flipped me the bird... Yup! He ran right into the deer.

Wish I had it on cam... He would have been on youtube. :tango_face_devil:

On topic... The two cows in two minutes must have confused the heck out of the cops.

·
Banker / hobby farmer
620 Posts
Cows can be very dangerous on the road and can cause much more damage to a vehicle than a deer. I've had one buddy hit a cow about 10 years ago. He was fine but it was not pretty.

Tractor-Holic, turkeys are protected in your state? Here in IL there is still a hunting season etc. for turkey's a couple times a year. The problem is they are hard to take down. Even with a slug in a shotgun you basically need a headshot as their feathers are practically bullet proof.

·
forkz
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we have a season on them here too but you can only take a tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts