My Tractor Forum banner

was I misinformed?

9210 Views 29 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  fadzaev6
Hello all, today I called the local dealer to price and fond availability of 12" wheel weights, part #BM17973 he claimed that $187.xx was PER side! I was always under the impression that price was a set. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
looking at what i see here at the dealer, im not terribly familiar with that part, but its calling for 1x per tractor from what i see? this is how it comes up in the sales software...

72 Lb. Cast Iron Starter Wheel Weight (1)
BM17973
Part
$187.26
See less See more
72lb. starter weights per side $187 not including the mounting bolts $23. The 50lb (BM17972) are $133 per side not including the mounting bolts $23.
John Deere 72-lb Cast Iron Rear Wheel Starter Weight - BM17973
Even the John Deere Original Equipment Weight #BM17976 ( plastic coated concrete weights) are $138.00 per side....

ughhh and i just sold a pair for $100.00 bucks....
72lb. starter weights per side $187 not including the mounting bolts $23. The 50lb (BM17972) are $133 per side not including the mounting bolts $23.

John Deere 72-lb Cast Iron Rear Wheel Starter Weight - BM17973

Same prices at my dealer. The plastic ones are $68 each. Starter weights do sell used for 250-300
See less See more
When Deere had the 20% off that's when I got mine.
I bought the 50lb plastic weights (set of 2) off craigslist for $80 a few years ago.
I would really like the full cast iron set too but those prices are just too high.
I'm saving up for a cab so when I get stuck in the snow and ice with my wimpy weights I'll be out of the wind!:sidelaugh

Attachments

See less See more
Are they that expensive for other brands? I can't believe the "Deere" branded weights are so much better than others. Weight is weight, right? Not like something with moving parts that have to fit perfectly together for longer life. I do understand the preference between cast iron and concrete filled plastic though.
See less See more
I just sold a old set of Bolens cast iron weights, painted yellow of course for $200.00 :dunno:
I have one set of 75 lb plastic Craftsman weights ($40.00) and one set of 50 lb cast iron weights of unknown origin (came with the 317). Both work just as well as the JD weights for a fraction of the cost. Yellow paint is cheap.
I just sold a old set of Bolens cast iron weights, painted yellow of course for $200.00 :dunno:
Those are nice weights. I like how they set inside the rim and they are easier to install than the Deere notched weights.
Sears 55lb plastic weights are cheapest new. They are actually stackable but it's wide $55 each. If you buy off season plastic used are for cheap. Cast iron 50lbs I have sold for $125 to move them year round, $150 is fair to me. Bolens weights sell for similar prices because you can stack them with jd's. Other lighter or non stackable are worth less because of usability.

Jim's repower repair makes starter weights for less
See less See more
Yeah they are really expensive! I got a set of starters off CL for a really good price and after blasting and and yellow they are pretty perfect now and look good on my X.

If you can hold off it's certainly worth while to keep looking for some other options it seems from my reading on here.
I have some black 75 lb plastic ones. Pm or email if interested.
The cast ones are $$$, especially at 72 lbs.... Think I paid about $55 per side 5 yrs ago for the plastic/concrete ones.... Nothing wrong with them, just wish I had the cast ones.
Probably sounds stupid, but couldn't one adapt regular steel weights to fit the rims? Picking up a complete weight set (including a bar) at a yard sale for dirt cheap, how much could it possibly cost to fab a mounting bracket to fit each wheel? Yellow paint would make it look somewhat Professional/Factory.

Honestly don't know, but it would seem like a money maker if someone were to just fab an adapter.

Once the adapter is installed, you would simply add/stack individual weights, lock them onto the wheel, and then move some snow.

Is this possible?
Seems like an easy project for someone with a bit of time, a proper work shop and some marketing skills.
See less See more
Many people have made setups to hold weights from weight-lifting benches. They generally don't look as nice as the real deal, and tend to stick out farther for the same weight. The best way to make wheel weights is to find a really cheap source of scrap lead and cast your own, but it takes some effort. People have also made their own out of cement. Not as heavy, but it's cheap and easy.

I prefer to wait for a good deal. I found a listing on CL for a stack of Deere wheel weights in the picture below with a price of "best offer". I called and asked the guy what price would make him happy, and when he said $275, I couldn't say "SOLD!" fast enough. I figured I would offer $500 and maybe go higher if need be. I figure I saved over $1000 over new. None of these weights have ever been on a tractor before, except the plastic coated ones. 1 pair of starters, 3 pairs of 50's, and a pair of 75 lb plastic coated weights, with all the hardware.

Attachments

See less See more
I have these cast iron wheel weights... Tractor Weight-Tractor Weight Bracket

I have thought about filling the hole to add extra weight. If only I could get some lead.
I use International weights on all my garden tractors.

Attachments

See less See more
There is a guy on Ebay that makes two axle extensions for about $70 that accept regular lifting weights. I buy them at the used sporting goods store here called "Play it again sports" for a little more than a dollar per pound. On my old 318 with a Buford Bucket that is what I used. I bought the 20 kg weights which are about 43 lbs each and the axle will hold about 4 or 5 weights each. It actually looks pretty nice if you paint all the weights yellow. BTW the holder that slides on to the axles is the same holder that the barbell sets use so you can add or subtract without much effort. The 20 kg weights were too big to fit in side of the wheel so I bought some smaller weights to make it tight all the way out to the 20 kg weights.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.