My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, no pics yet, I was frustrated and HOT....

I gotta say, what a goofy mower... I really had higher expectations for it, but that handle and drive design is just really, for lack of better terms, crappy. It takes a while to get up to full speed and of course is awkward as can be both turning and just walking with it. Every time I'd accidently let pressure off the handle it would almost stop, and no matter how fast I pushed it back forward again it then took 5 feet or so to get back to full speed.

I think my belt tension is ok, but I guess I need to check to make sure it's not slipping. Better not be... New belt, new crankshaft pulley, and 1 new idler, almost everything is new, and is certianly as clean as new. I have all 4 spacers on the trans pulley. I've never dealt with that sort of transmission, don't know how they are "supposed" to act...

Mower ran good though, "pops" a lot when not under a pretty good load though. Not smokey at all.

It may be till it cools down again and I have some free time before I get pictures of it. I've pretty much had it up to my roof with the heat here. :crybaby:

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
What....couple hot days....:sorry1: Its been scorching here too....Too hot to do anything. I'm a prisoner inside my home....kinda like the middle of January.

Wait till it cools off and some grass starts to come back from being baked and try it again.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Its been WAY too hot here for about a week 100's all the time, but yes my 8480 does the exact same thing very awkward and too hard to use. Its nothing like the capstan fold over handle! Its just a "goofy" machine! lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
**** hot here in MI....dead calm...high heat and high humidity....uuggggg. I cut the grass and and the shirt and shorts are soaked....:1336:

·
Registered
204 Posts
i like the drive myself. im kinda of a take your time person, i run my 10547, 10515 and 14SB in like 1st gear. So when i got to use one of those big School bus LB's, the drive was wonderful to me.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I gotta say, what a goofy mower... I really had higher expectations for it, but that handle and drive design is just really, for lack of better terms, crappy. It takes a while to get up to full speed and of course is awkward as can be both turning and just walking with it. Every time I'd accidently let pressure off the handle it would almost stop, and no matter how fast I pushed it back forward again it then took 5 feet or so to get back to full speed.
I agree that you really can't be in a hurry when you use this mower. If yours is like mine in that you push the handle forward to engage the belt, then it's just as cantankerous as mine. I'm forever adjusting the thumb wheel tensioner on that belt, trying to find the sweet spot. And yes, you can't let up pressure for a split second on it, or it's dead in the lawn. It's especially problematic for me because I have to crouch to mow under some trees in my front yard, and you can't maintain forward momentum on it. With the 10330 or the HR215, you just keep the bail engaged and you can walk beside it as it mows under the tree and you keep going.

In the heat, I don't use my 4-square. I use either of the others, just because I can get the yard mowed faster that way. Plus, it's 20" vs. the other two at 21", so it takes another pass or so. I really enjoy using it, but you've got to be able to take your time and enjoy it. It's not so good for getting out and trying to get the yard knocked out in an hour when it's blazin' outside.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
After all, the suburban was designed for large area lawnmowing.

My most productive machine is a four square mower.....Toro.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
After all, the suburban was designed for large area lawnmowing.
Good point. I do suppose that's what it was designed for: straight, cookie-cutter lots with few trees and rectangular areas of grass.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
i had a chance to get a like new -mint one of these from an ederly customer. as much as i like lawnboys -i had to pass. would not be usefull in comm mowing

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had a chance to get a like new -mint one of these from an ederly customer. as much as i like lawnboys -i had to pass. would not be usefull in comm mowing
I hear ya about not being useful for the biz. (think I've seen you over on lawnsite) I didn't buy mine for that anyway, but I sure wouldn't bother putting it on the trailer. I put my push 6211 commercial on before that, but I doubt that because I don't want to damage it... lol

I suppose it's designed for "large" areas, but dang, I feel like the largest area I'm willing to walk behind a 20 to 21 inch mower is about 5,000 sq. ft.! My lawn is about 8,000, and I'm about ready to be done when I'm finished with it. I have much larger zero turn riders for the big stuff!

It's a cool looking mower though, unique design. I'll hand it to lawn-boy, they often thought outside the box when it came to design and engineering. I also think that they passed some of their mistakes down onto the public sometimes though.

I need to look at the service manual again. I want to see what's really going on in the transmission when the handle is pushed forward. It moves a lever on the transmission, but what does it do exactly? It has nothing to do with the belt, it's tensioned all the time, moving or not. There's a reason it's so slow to get up to speed I'm sure. I doubt it was designed to be like that... If it's a friction system it could be to much lube making it slip? I shall investigate!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I dont really have a problem with the one I have. I had 2 at one time but sold the other one to a good neighbor and he loves it. You do have to play with the cable adjustment to get it right. And everyone is different. When I had both of them I never could get them to both act the same. The newer one(Which I still have) was always jerkier than the older one. So I always used the older on on the big hill we had. They are a great lawnmower for large areas but clumsy for tight areas like a fenced in area. What do you mean yours pops? I dont remember either one of mine doing that. Make sure the wheels and transmission are greased. That also makes a difference in how these things operate. Good luck.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I need to look at the service manual again. I want to see what's really going on in the transmission when the handle is pushed forward. It moves a lever on the transmission, but what does it do exactly? It has nothing to do with the belt, it's tensioned all the time, moving or not. There's a reason it's so slow to get up to speed I'm sure. I doubt it was designed to be like that... If it's a friction system it could be to much lube making it slip? I shall investigate!
That's interesting; I always thought the cable moved the tensioning pulley on the belt. But that's not the case? Huh. Sounds like yours and mine might need the same repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts