My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if any other 2320 owners have this issue. I purchased a 2006 with 16 hours a month and a half ago. It has 39 hours on it now. It is in showroom condition ... except ... when I finished mowing last Sunday, I noticed that at the top of the bottom panel of the hood (where it attaches to the top piece) was warped, like it had gotten hot enough to "melt." This location is where the muffler is situated. Also, there was a place between the warped spot and the dash where the plastice looks like it has bubbled, again like it was hot enough to "melt." Don't have a clue as to whether it will get worse or not. Since I normally blow and clean my equipment after using it, I can say this warped area was not there a week earlier, which was the last time it had been used.

The engine was not overheated or anything out of the ordinary. There is no indication in the owners manuel that tells me whether a heat "shield" should be located on the inside of the hood to protect it from the heat of the muffler or not. The local dealer did not have a 2320 on the lot to check and the parts screen did not show one. I did inquire as to the cost of this piece of plastic and it's just a whopping $275. And It could just be a flaw in the manufacture of this piece.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

I haven't noticed that on mine. I have 90 hrs but I don't generally use my machine for long periods of time and I don't mow with it. There is no heat shield over the muffler. If you look in your manual there are several shots of the engine compartment to give you a reference. The only hood issue I had was that the hood support would rattle against the breather tube and was making a racket as well as pushing the breather tube to the side. Deere tech said that was normal. I fixed it by making a new hole in the support so that it is held up higher when the hood is down.
I mention this because there appears to be considerable tolerance in the assembly of the hood. you may want to check the alignment of the hood left to right and make sure it is centered and not pulled so that the muffler is closer than it should be. The latch assy, if I remember correctly may have some adjustment for that. Anyway, if the machine is still under warranty your dealer should look into this for you.
Let us know what you find. This is the first I've heard of a problem like this.

Brian

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
That is the first I have heard about any such problems; sorry to hear that. Please let us know if you find out anything. Thanks. :fing32:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
We run ours for up to 3 hrs at a time mowing, I ran it 3hrs pulling a 5 1/2 double disk as well and never an issue. We are at 44hrs now with ours.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Me again. Something else I would check would be the motor mounts. There is no way the hood should be melting unless the engine is getting extremely hot- or the hood or engine are not where they should be.

Brian

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi

Me again. Something else I would check would be the motor mounts. There is no way the hood should be melting unless the engine is getting extremely hot- or the hood or engine are not where they should be.

Brian

I totally agree with Brian..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hood is aligned correctly. The motor mounts are tight. The engine was not overheated. I've checked John Deere service bulletins, technical memos, etc., etc., and no one has reported that they have had this issue. So, I'm left thinking that the piece itself is the issue.

It is not literally melting down; it has warped in two places. The one immediately adjacent to the muffler runs has the lower panel bowed in 3/4" at its maximum, 5" horizontally. The other is halfway between this spot and the dash. It has the appearance of a slight "run" like in when you put a little too much spray paint on too quickly and there are about a dozen little bubbles in the lower part of the run.

It's curious that the top piece immediately above this is perfectly normal. Since no one else has the problem, and all is as it should be under the hood, seems logical that for whatever reason this piece of plastic has "an issue."

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Can you post some pics? I never have experience this problem with the 2305.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
:ditto: On the pics. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Is it possible that the hood was overheated while someone was working on the tractor, welding or cutting metal for instance. Could be a defective panel as well.

Brian

·
Registered
171 Posts
not even sure if this is possible but is the exhaust loose and pushing hot air into the engine compartment, heating it up? ditto on the pics :wwp:
best of luck!

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
The hood is aligned correctly. The motor mounts are tight. The engine was not overheated. I've checked John Deere service bulletins, technical memos, etc., etc., and no one has reported that they have had this issue. So, I'm left thinking that the piece itself is the issue.

It's curious that the top piece immediately above this is perfectly normal. Since no one else has the problem, and all is as it should be under the hood, seems logical that for whatever reason this piece of plastic has "an issue."

I think you've found the problem IMHO.

It IS very possible that FRP or catalyzed industrial plastics can be mixed with too much (or not enough) accelerator and active solvents. This leads to panels that don't cure at the same rate...or leave items with less than the exact formula during manufacture. Warping, twisting and waves are not uncommon after the product has left the company. And the generated heat area of your tractor's engine may be causing the panel(s) to cure unevenly. I'm not aware of any permanent fix. A visit to your dealer is a good idea.

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone who has read this thread and those that took the time to reply. There are still no answers.

To the best of my knowledge from what I can see there is no exhaust leak. No one has worked on the tractor. It hasn't been off the property.

As I mentioned in my original post, my 2320 is a 2006. It had 16 hours on it when purchased and was in showroom condition. But, it's out of the normal warranty period. I have been in contact with the dealer. They are talking to Deere about sending me a replacement piece, based on the literal fact that this machine hasn't been used enough to even break it in. I will let them do their thing before I step into it and start talking to Deere myself. I can't help but think that the issue relates to what Mark777 said - it's a part problem.

Attachments

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I agree with wally2q. Hopefully JD will take care of this. BTW I think going through the dealer is the only way JD will operate on issues like this. Let us know how this turn out for you.:goodl:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

That really is a mess. Hopefully they will go good for it.

Brian

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
I've never seen that defect before. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to use some goodwill with Deere and get it solved. It certainly is one of those situations where it's clearly a manufacturer defect, but it is also three years old.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well guys, after 11 months, too many telephone calls, texts and emails to remember, the warped hood piece has been replaced. The warping was evidently a rare material defect in the plastic. Interestingly, it was not John Deere who came through with the replacement parts. Rather it was the dealer from whom I purchased it. This wasn't even a blip on JD's radar, it wasn't a "fatal" in any way, but it looked pretty bad.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the attention, concern and service provided by Bader & Sons in Central Michigan. Although i live in central Illinois, with 5 JD dealers within 40 miles, I bought my 2006 JD 2320 from Paul
Bader. It was exactly what I had been looking for for over a year.

Earlier in this thread is the history and pics
I just wanted to tell everyone how happy I am about getting the parts. I will put it on. The warped piece slowly got worse over time. The hotter the weather the more it would warp back and forth.

I did learn that there is supposed to be a shielded piece of insulation between the muffler and side hood piece.

My hat is off to Mr. Bader, Bob in service and everyone else who got the pieces replaced. They are great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts